Author Topic: Interface, timer & warmup for 1.7  (Read 4629 times)

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Interface, timer & warmup for 1.7
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:58:10 am »
All of these suggestions were exemplified in my video: https://youtu.be/GTieX-KNbsc
PS: The time is not changing cuz it's a static image.
PS²: Ignore the country flag and clan name. This is a sketch for another suggestion.

INTERFACE

- Add different alignment (left, center, right) options for each thing on the interface.
- Split the teambox items. So we would have separated items: Red flag, blue flag, red score and blue score.
- Add an icon to safe flags/intact in your base/not captured. There's the NOFLAG.BMP, add the FLAG.BMP.

TIMER

There's no reason to have the time counter "hidden" on F1. This is a cruccial info and should be in your face.

WARMUP

Disabled by default. This option would help to prepare the match, specially competitive matches where the map starts but some players lose the first sprint. Notice in the video that I'm not restarting the match, just forcing everyone to respawn again. I did a fade transition but It would be coller with the camera interpolation (idk the right name for it). The server would not store any data untill the match starts.
Suggested commands: warmup 0/1 and warmuptime #.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:03:11 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
Re: Ints, timer & warmup
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:12:14 am »
I wonder why this does not get any attention at all... I really like your suggestions!
It's totally unreasonable to me, too, that the timer is hidden on F1. And this warm-up time seems pretty nice to me, however, it's probably some kind of a work to code (?)

Looking forward to some dev's feedback.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:45:20 am »
If it's hard to code, we should stop suggesting things here haha. But as they said, the Soldat code is messy, so in this case you may be right.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:36:26 am »
Continue to post good suggestions. The devs do read and consider them.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:58:46 am by homerofgods »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:41:35 pm »
Continue to post good suggestions. The devs do read and consider them.
Thank you!
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 01:42:02 pm »
yes for the timer and I guess for the interface stuff but I would disagree with the warmup suggestion.
Soldat is a fast paced-game. players like to hop into games real quick without waiting much and just play.

For gathers, a warmup does make sense but there's pretty much already a warmup: the time it takes for all players to connect & to be ready.
Warmups would only make sense if soldat had a matchmaking system imo.
Apart from that, a warmup script should be pretty easy to code, if anyone really wants one on his server.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:52:27 pm »
For gathers, a warmup does make sense but there's pretty much already a warmup: the time it takes for all players to connect & to be ready.
Warmups would only make sense if soldat had a matchmaking system imo.
Apart from that, a warmup script should be pretty easy to code, if anyone really wants one on his server.
I gave the warmup suggestion cuz sometimes there's a delay and the map does not start at the same time for everyone, just it.
In this case would be a good feature, or nah? Maybe off by default, idk. warmup 0/1 and warmuptime #secs

2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: Interface, timer & warmup for 1.7
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:30:25 am »
Nice mockups!

I don't think warmup time is useful (players have to wait for everyone, timer could run down before everyone is there, better solution: make everyone signal they are ready via command /ready or similar ui thing)
The hud is obscuring the view (maybe ok for spec but not for players imho).
We don't have a clantag system so that part makes no sense.
We already have flag display at the bottom right is this an replacement for that? (bottom right is less in your way too. that said the no flag could be left out and only show it when flag is grabbed (reduce clutter)
Features are limited to cw, fw, gathers, not sure how to implement this in a good manner.

Thats why I say no atm for this suggestion. Do you agree?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 05:00:45 am »
Nice mockups!

I don't think warmup time is useful (players have to wait for everyone, timer could run down before everyone is there, better solution: make everyone signal they are ready via command /ready or similar ui thing)
The hud is obscuring the view (maybe ok for spec but not for players imho).
We don't have a clantag system so that part makes no sense.
We already have flag display at the bottom right is this an replacement for that? (bottom right is less in your way too. that said the no flag could be left out and only show it when flag is grabbed (reduce clutter)
Features are limited to cw, fw, gathers, not sure how to implement this in a good manner.

Thats why I say no atm for this suggestion. Do you agree?

I have shown the clan name thing because it's a suggestion for the future and I'm using the same mockup, ignore it.

I wasn't suggesting this interface, just presenting a interface that could be made using some things I've suggested. Things with higher priority in that list are: Split of Team Box items http://i.imgur.com/UGUwsVr.png and the alignment of each items.
We would be freer to create better interfaces with these options. I think that we are a bit stuck with the Team Box the way it is.

The non-captured flag suggestion is something to fill the empty space. Because, if you split the Team Box items and make a horizontal scheme like I did or even in the current scheme, there's a blank space until a flag is captured, talking about the design, looks bad to me. You can see a designed empty space for the flag in Tibres: Ascend for example http://bit.ly/1XudjJe I don't know why there's no flag over there, played it just few times but you can also find screenshots with the non-captured flag (I guess haha) http://bit.ly/1HCmX5w So, my suggestion is 3 flag status: Non-captured, captured and loose flag, where the captured flag icon would blink when the flag is loose on the map.

The warmup is useless if you analyze by the normal perspective. Of course that SCTFL, gather players etc don't need this to start the match. I agree that would be useful just for a matchmaking system, adding the ready command etc.
The main reason for the warmup suggestion is the delay that makes us lose the first sprint and restart the map over and over. Plus the fact that the match starts right after the map loading and I have noticed this method falling into disuse over the years.
Personally I think that starting the map without a countdown is worst compared to games that has a count to start matches.
I remember playing Delta Force 1 until 2004 when we were used to set a time (like 3 minutes after the map start) when everybody committed suicide, then the match was started after that. 2005/2006 playing Delta Force Black Hawk Down international leagues but the game had an internal countdown to start the match. Was very usefull to avoid people losing their first sprint. After 2005 I have never played games's competitions without it. So, that's it.
I have played Soldat for a long time and this issue never changed. You guys don't think that this is a question to think about? (not the warmup itself, but the delay that fucks some players at the map start)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:22:53 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 10:29:26 am »
F12 on the team score & flags UI change away from the box in the lower right corner, and on having a flashing flag for when it's loose in the map.
I think the scores should be centered medially, and then the flag status (all in one graphic location) laterally.

F11 on the countdown/warmup idea as a default, definitely.