Author Topic: SOLDAT 1.7.0a3 alpha release ready for testing!  (Read 18848 times)

Offline derek10

• Major(1)
Re: SOLDAT 1.7.0a3 alpha release ready for testing!
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 12:24:52 pm »
I dont know if its the right area to post but here I go...

I was surfing and decided to look at soldat forums, when I saw the updates were coming so fast, I was amazed and just downloaded 1.6.9 and 1.7.0a3 for testing. First, here are my specs:

Processor: AMD FX-8350
GPU: AMD R9 290X
Memory: Corsair 2x8GB 1600MHZ Dual-channel
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
*The other ones are irrelevant for gaming

The thing is, I can run 1.7.0a3 so smooth, thank you all devs, I can't wait for it to become official, I hope it can attract old retired players like it attracted me. BUUUUUUUT I want to play the currently official version because 1.7.0a3 doesn't have a lot of people to play. The game itself runs smooth, but its almost impossible to join a server because everything in menu is in slow motion. From the profile selection to the double click to join a server, everything is so slow, when I request servers it shows ONE BY ONE. It took almost 5 minutes to display all servers, 15 seconds to recognize my first click and other 15 to join it. I don't know whats happening because I have DirectX 12 fully updated and my gpu drivers too.

I want to train before 1.7 final release but this way I can not :(

*Sorry for the bad english.

EDIT: Nevermind, 1.7.0 started to show the same behavior.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:28:54 pm by derek10 »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 04:16:49 pm »
ginn:

Apparently something is failing with specific bmp images. Most likely it's a bmp format variant not supported by the library we're using to load images.

I tried converting all BMPs to PNGs in your mod (http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=41845.0) and it worked fine it seems.

Note: there's also a windowed fullscreen option (set Fullscreen=2 in soldat.ini). That may work better for you.
Can you upload the converted files?

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 06:05:43 pm »
Sure. I did this with a script so hopefully it's all working fine now. I think there's something still wrong with flamethrower, but didnt notice any other problem.

For anyone who cares the script was just a bash command line using ImageMagick:

Code: [Select]
find . -name *.bmp | sed -E 's/\.bmp$//' | while read line; do ( if [ ! -f "$line.png" ]; then convert "$line.bmp" "$line.png"; rm "$line.bmp"; fi ); done
urraka

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2015, 04:20:36 am »
I was wondering why you still need bmp extension? Engine of game still can read only it even if its render PNG files without a problem?
You gonna work on it in the future?

Also I have small question, related to rendering texture. Its just theoretical question, not any request or something like that.

It would be possible to add detail texture layer to texture file, like most of 3D game have? That would be rendered in background of main texture.
I know that this layer is good for 3D models when you look at them closer, not in static distance like soldat.

But one time I was helping with game project that used main layer and detail one in background, so we could still keep detailed map with using smaller file size textures. Game never moved from release(3 person project) but It was looking pretty good on simple levels.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2015, 04:20:45 am »
@derek10 it takes me under 1 second to find all 3 servers in 1.7.0a3.  Hard to tell what your problem is but it could sound like you have a full disk or antivirus/firewall is slowing you down or seomething. I would recommend that you upgrade to windows 10 while it's free to do, soldat runs smoothly on win10 and the operating system takes less space. And you why do you not have a flash-drive for operating system ^.^?

Anyway devs are working hard to get 1.7 out as soon as possible, but they need to make sure it runs smoothly for everyone first. (Fixing bugs that appeared due to the new changes) We are all very much looking forward to the final release :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:23:59 am by homerofgods »

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2015, 06:50:19 am »
@derek10
The profiles ok button is slow because soldat is loading stuff and checking for updates (which could be improved).
Is it still slow when you do this:
Open game
Clikc on
Go to Start game tab
Go to exit tab
Click Ok

It should only be slow for the first time you click on the ok on the profiles page.

I'm trying to figure out if the gui is laggy or it is the network related code.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 09:37:03 am »
I was wondering why you still need bmp extension? Engine of game still can read only it even if its render PNG files without a problem?
You gonna work on it in the future?

Also I have small question, related to rendering texture. Its just theoretical question, not any request or something like that.

It would be possible to add detail texture layer to texture file, like most of 3D game have? That would be rendered in background of main texture.
I know that this layer is good for 3D models when you look at them closer, not in static distance like soldat.

But one time I was helping with game project that used main layer and detail one in background, so we could still keep detailed map with using smaller file size textures. Game never moved from release(3 person project) but It was looking pretty good on simple levels.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with your bmp question. Both bmp and png are supported now (also gif and jpg). Thing is, most of the content (mods, maps, etc) links to .bmp images. What we do is check if the same file exists as .png and load that instead of .bmp in that case. Also, I think latest build has some PNG scenery renamed as .bmp. That's because I hadn't done that png/bmp fallback for sceneries yet. Next build will probably have the correct extension for those.

Regarding your second question: I think many things could be added to improve the game visuals, specially in the maps. There are no plans to work on that for now, but maybe after 1.7 I could give it a try.
urraka

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2015, 10:33:52 am »
I mean, there is still lots of files that are BMP or an PNG files but with BMP extension, especially textures and interface folder.
Its a bit chaotic and I was just wondering about it.

To be honest BMP is one of worst graphic file(size-res ratio and lack of alpha channel) and with new graphic engine I would get rid of it once and for all
I know that before we used that with green background to keep map size small, but BMP is useless for graphic bigger than 400px. the same PNG file is x2 smaller and with color indexing it can be even x5 smaller.

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 11:07:59 am »
I mean, there is still lots of files that are BMP or an PNG files but with BMP extension, especially textures and interface folder.
Its a bit chaotic and I was just wondering about it.

To be honest BMP is one of worst graphic file(size-res ratio and lack of alpha channel) and with new graphic engine I would get rid of it once and for all
I know that before we used that with green background to keep map size small, but BMP is useless for graphic bigger than 400px. the same PNG file is x2 smaller and with color indexing it can be even x5 smaller.

Yeah I completely agree with you on this. We'll probably end up getting rid of all BMPs with this new HD graphics stuff. The extension rename was kind of a hack to make it work but we'll get that right. And now you reminded me that I'm not testing for PNG file on map textures :P

I would also like to avoid the green color key being used on PNG files since it has actual transparency... but that will break existing things probably.
urraka

Offline derek10

• Major(1)
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 12:05:38 pm »
@derek10
The profiles ok button is slow because soldat is loading stuff and checking for updates (which could be improved).
Is it still slow when you do this:
Open game
Clikc on
Go to Start game tab
Go to exit tab
Click Ok

It should only be slow for the first time you click on the ok on the profiles page.

I'm trying to figure out if the gui is laggy or it is the network related code.

I know the first ok button is slow because I play soldat for years, the problem was happening with everything in menu, only the game itself was running smooth, but for AN UNKNOWN REASON the problem is gone  :o . I didn't installed anything, its a miracle because its fixed even in 1.6.9. I am sorry but I can't tell what really happened, #soldatautofixlogic OP

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2015, 06:52:01 am »
When optimize the server? Still a large number of bullets fired creates a lags, if bullets have a high speed and fly a long way increases the lag :(

And add a new variant for minigun and spas, "WeaponRecoil=" to modify rejection of a player during shooting.

Can change/fix BigText function positioning? It's easy toadd text on the left side. But to create text on the right side we have a problem because, depending on the resolution erroneously it centers, and maybe invisible.

Since it is has already used opengl, can u add TActivePlayer.CoverScreen(Color: Longint, Time: Single, Transparency: byte, FadeOut: single);
This feature will cover the whole screen, the designated color, for a limited time, with a certain transparency and FadeOut (if 0 effect disappears immediately, if bigger is the time for the gradual disappearance).
Shoozza please comment.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »
Shoozza you're a fucking retard.

The game is dying, and what you decide to do is release a new version every single week, fucking up the game more and more with every single release.

You've changed the position of the crosshair, so now it's even impossible to aim.
Every single time I try to play a gather I have to spend at least 10 minutes trying to get the game to work.

You're trying your hardest to kill a dead game, just fuck off and leave soldat be.
You even ruined the maps, like the fucking retard you are.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2015, 07:41:48 pm »
lol just ban him forever already ^__^

@PerroAzul I used XnView to convert my gfx files to .png but still same problem, but your converted ones are fine so what am I doing wrong? QQ
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:09 pm »

@PerroAzul I used XnView to convert my gfx files to .png but still same problem, but your converted ones are fine so what am I doing wrong? QQ
You need to keep them bmp for the interface, apparently.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2015, 08:20:55 pm »
So much butthurt in one comment. Wow.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2015, 09:24:21 pm »
So much butthurt in one comment. Wow.
Every time I play I have to install a new soldat version, copy over mods, copy over profile, and change settings.
It's pretty fucking annoying.

Then you can't even rescale anymore, so you have to look at these eyesore for textures when you play, and look at what terrible things has been done to the maps.

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2015, 09:54:46 pm »

Hmm sounds odd. Maybe you're lucky enough to have converted to an unsupported png variant...
Other than that I can't guess. Maybe some silly mistake, like assuming things are in the right place when they aren't (yes, that shit can happen too :P).

Also, maybe I should note that until next release map textures and textures edges aren't overriden by PNGs like with other graphics.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:58:05 pm by PerroAZUL »
urraka

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 06:25:00 am »

@ginn: Have you noticed that you are the only person complaining like that? You may consider a) rethinking your position b) simply quit playing Soldat and visiting that forum if it annoys you so hard c) practising some anti-stress techniques of your choice d) visiting a doctor e) killing yourself. I hope some of that helps.

I for my part am looking forward to 1.7b1 :3

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 07:11:58 am »
..., and look at what terrible things has been done to the maps.

tell me more, what maps, what done? something with textures?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 08:54:23 am »
What do you do? Copy over all files? Why don't you use the update version? .. ;D