Author Topic: [video] Just another soldat menu  (Read 10739 times)

Offline Sipar

• Major
    • http://dolinski.cz
[video] Just another soldat menu
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:02:51 pm »

Gui concept

Opening screen video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnuNK2CJBXY&feature=youtu.be
- tried to quickly design some mood with sfx and (vietnam war like) music, i think youll get the idea

Clickable prototype: https://invis.io/RF5MB46YT
- had to present it on ipad device :/

All screens:
zip download
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:53:34 pm by Sipar »

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
Re: [video] just another soldat menu
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:16:39 pm »
Pretty speechless right now.

I think there is a pretty long way to go to implement that into the game (?) but I'd love to see this as a vision where Soldat might go someday. I freaking love it.
(Might add some more detailed review once the shock has settled :p)

Offline Petterkowski

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
Re: [video] Just another soldat menu
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 03:57:55 pm »
Holy shit...these new menu graphics + hd would bring new life to Soldat, and I'm sure lots of oldies would come back too! I always wanted to see an eye-friendly color scheme and here it is. This is a real gold what you just did here, Sipar. I am absolutely certain that this will bring plenty of new potential players to the game, many will love it and enjoy this game even more than some other games now :) I am sure that with such visual revival Soldat can compete even better with some other 3d shooters. I hope that Sipar's vision is not going to be the next unimportant idea, but the foundation for something great and i really do believe that this can somehow be realised in a short period of time. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you to succeed in this, Sipar and devs. Maybe you could actually work together and make it done. What i know is that we really need this LIKE NOW! Holy shit, great job, Sipar. Hats off to you

..I'd love to see this as a vision where Soldat might go someday.
People were making some crazy menu revival projects few years ago too but i guess it was not the priority for the devs back then because those ideas disappeared unnoticed(Duz and few other players made some good graphics as well from what i remember). Now we can't really wait and "some day in the future" is not enough when we're on the edge of a death. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the devs. Maybe somehow they could find more free time in their busy schedule to make it possible :]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:15:36 pm by Petterkowski »

Once more into the fray...
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day...
Live and die on this day...

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
AMAZING.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 05:15:24 pm »
Those icons are pretty good and fit the theme perfectly, did you make them yourself?
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »
Impressive!

Looks pretty good and has the Soldat vibe.

Really liking this!

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »
Looks really cool man, great work!

I would suggest not to stick too much to original layout though. In particular, the server list section could use a lot of improvement. Common filters could be placed expanded on top of list (some checkbox or just check-icons). Could have a search filter box aswell. I'd also love a different way to see favorites, like have a heart icon on the list itself that you can click and make those sticky on top. I would divide the list view in 2 parts side by side. On one side you could have a shorter version of current list with most relevant info (server name, players/max, mode, ping). On the other side I would place all the additional detailed information of the server you click (including a player list). I'd probably move the JOIN button to that panel aswell, on top. Maybe a SPEC button aswell (instead of that checkbox which you will forget to uncheck once you checked it). Buttons on bottom I would remove them from there. Refresh could go where you have a "favorites" button. The rest can fuck off :P. Or find a place on top. Of course would need more thought, like how would you join specific IP if you have join button on the details panel, etc. Anyway, random ideas I've had for a while.
urraka

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:57:19 pm »
This looks pretty good and is fitting Soldat's style pretty well. However, I don't like the background image.
I'm sure there are a few ppl. willing to donate to devs and I guess that would be something ppl. would possibly want to donate for.

Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 06:53:25 am »
I'm sure there are a few ppl. willing to donate to devs and I guess that would be something ppl. would possibly want to donate for.

+1

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
  • :^)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:52 am »
My nipples are literally diamonds now.

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:30 am »
Simple and clear gray-ish gui. Fits fine to soldat tho. I'm sure some adjustements are needed but what matters is that this is the right path devs need to follow. Still we need to know what's the style devs are heading for (as Akinaro mentioned b4). How will the final gostek look like? What map remakes will replace defaults? And then the gui has to adapt somehow too in my view.

The money stuff is complicated but I wonder what are MM's thoughts and how is he involved in this nowadays.

And I cant stop laughing when someone say that soldat cant be move to steam because of bugs...
Sometimes I just can't stop laughing when someone thinks that soldat will get instant popularity once it hits steam.

BTW: Seeing Gamepark server brought a nostalgic tear to my eye.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 10:31:19 am »
Thanks for sharing this!
You left out the most difficult screens, but it's a start.

Some stuff I noticed:
- Missing server connection info box
- Oddly placed fav checkbox
- Multi screen profile page (not sure if i like that)
- First use popup page (i hope we can leave that out)
- Logo page (im still unsure if we want to force everyone to press a key for no reason)
- Symbols only for game modes (text is always better)
- Vertical scrollbars

What I like:
- Map previews (not sure about the way you get them)
- gostek preview

Btw please stay on topic (talk about the gui) the donation topic continues here: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=44131.0
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 10:54:44 am »
Very visually appealing. I like the look. To give one piece of feedback, I personally don't like the background being a screenshot.

Offline Home

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 11:18:00 am »
This looks really great, I hope Soldat menu can look like this in the near future.

- Symbols only for game modes (text is always better)

I disagree. Smybols are WAY better, they look better, cost less space and they are easy to distinguish. Text is always worse because you must read it. When it comes to server names or map names, sure there is no other way to use text, but there aren't that many game modes, so you should use symbols. Same goes for Advanced / Realistic / Survival. Those really need symbols. "Yes" or "No" for everything is just bad.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 01:51:50 pm »
I disagree. Smybols are WAY better, they look better, cost less space and they are easy to distinguish. Text is always worse because you must read it. When it comes to server names or map names, sure there is no other way to use text, but there aren't that many game modes, so you should use symbols. Same goes for Advanced / Realistic / Survival. Those really need symbols. "Yes" or "No" for everything is just bad.
DM, PM, RM, TDM, INF, HTF
6 games modes. "There aren't that many game modes" ?!

I like the icons, but can you imagine unique icons for each game modes? Ok, and how to make newbies learn them? I assume that I would be confused sometimes, lines and lines of servers and 6 white icons. It's way better for design, but in fact I can't see it working better than text.

2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 02:54:55 pm »
I prefer icons over text too but you can also have both. On mouse hover show text or just include the text below of the icons.
It's not that hard to make icons for each of the gamemodes - It has already been made for thousands of other games in the past and ppl. didn't need to struggle to guess why icon stands for which mode.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 08:29:03 pm »
sexy
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 05:22:08 am »
There have been tons of threads like this with amazing photoshop mockups for better UIs and better maps and so on. They all receive critical acclaim, even from devs.

But, here's the problem: the ideas and mockups are always ignored by the devs and never taken into consideration, so we're left with the same UI for almost two decades. Not that that's a bad thing; Soldat's simple blocky UI is part of what makes Soldat... Soldat. But maybe urraka can save us all. Hell, he brought us OpenGL.

Good work, btw.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:23:51 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:03:48 am »
I guess if the mockup was actual deplhi code using OGL...that would make it so much easier.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 08:16:48 am »
Why just dont make frame construction of buttons, windows, background and put small config file with info wich options are visible, and then everyone can make his own menu mod using sample graphic,  instead of playing with one specific graphic. that need to be integrated to soldat it self.

And just like I said in other topic, just make base of it, give people guidelines and info what you need, and just wait for it. If people right now doing all that mockup maps and graphic by them self, why dont use it? Its half of work less for devs.