Author Topic: 1.7.0 wooden laptop issue  (Read 5771 times)

Offline Savage

• Soldier
1.7.0 wooden laptop issue
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:33:39 am »
I remember playing 1.7.0a(probably 3) without any issue on my wooden laptop with ~100fps but on final release I have 9fps, lack of some graphics and when I'm trying to shoot whole laptop freezes.

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 2490
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:49:53 am by Savage »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Re: 1.7.0 wooden laptop issue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 10:02:59 am »
Could you try on a map with no sceneries?
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:17:22 am »
Its not so wooden, I tried it on many laptops with Intel GMA, even slower than 950. And I have no issues.

Maybe its more like configuration problem?
 Try to set lower values in soldat.ini like
Code: [Select]
Max_Particles=100
Bullet_Trails=0
Weather=0
Smooth_Edges=0
Enable_Animations=0
Color_Depth=16
Console_Deaths=0 <- disabling kill console always give me 5-10fps more :/

I would also recommend using custom drivers for it. It seriously speed up system and some games(7-15 fps its always something).

Sadly I cant find my old drivers from 9xxssf.info because I used them, but you can try this one:
http://brenton.nom.za/forum/showthread.php?tid=1

But before that try to mess a bit with intel graphic options in manager, sometimes setting it to performance work...

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:33:47 am »
Could you try on a map with no sceneries?

I've disabled rendering sceneries and I saw blue screen for a second xD my graphics drivers crashed(they were up to date though). I will try Ainaro's one.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:42 am »
Problem is that most of moded drivers have some limitations on XP system, most of people who mess with drivers jump to windows7 so they dont test xp versions that good :/

If you would have windows7 I could give you Sherry 1.3.1 drivers that I use on my Asus EeePC netbook. They have some "fixes" for openGL and overall less memory problems.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:53:49 am »
I guess urrakka might know some solution as he actually knows what did change in between 17a and the final release.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:29 am »
Its not so wooden, I tried it on many laptops with Intel GMA, even slower than 950. And I have no issues.

Maybe its more like configuration problem?
 Try to set lower values in soldat.ini like
Code: [Select]
Max_Particles=100
Bullet_Trails=0
Weather=0
Smooth_Edges=0
Enable_Animations=0
Color_Depth=16
Console_Deaths=0 <- disabling kill console always give me 5-10fps more :/

I would also recommend using custom drivers for it. It seriously speed up system and some games(7-15 fps its always something).

Sadly I cant find my old drivers from 9xxssf.info because I used them, but you can try this one:
http://brenton.nom.za/forum/showthread.php?tid=1

But before that try to mess a bit with intel graphic options in manager, sometimes setting it to performance work...

This is what i got during installation, I chose XP drivers. It means it's not compatible with my OS.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:06 am »
heh, forgot to mention.
Modified drivers remove certification that why this show up.

Its not about compatibility but modified content of drivers. Most of custom drivers change only some lines in ini file, but other change some content of it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:29:59 am by Akinaro »

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 01:37:17 pm »
GMA3100 here. I got this problem on what appeared to be mostly large, heavily textured maps. Airpirate is the the first map I got this problem (11 fps) and the one I tested with. The problem (for me at least) seem to be about not enough graphic vram due to new 'HD' texture.

There's a couple of way to fix/workaround it (from worst to best) :
  • Go into BIOS and look around and see if there's setting about how much of system ram to use as vram; increase it if possible
  • In the .INI file, go to [GRAPHICS] section and change Optimize_Texture from 0 to 1
  • Copy textures folder from older version of soldat and use it as mod

The third option work best for me; it fixed both the fps issue (~300 fps now) and the severe graininess of the new HD textures, which I find it very irritating...
Owned by player with high ping = Blame the ping.
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:24:22 pm »
this is one of reason to switch to win7 because sherry drivers have few major fixes for it:
Improve OpenGL performance, Better memory management and Dynamic Memory Speed.

I personally didnt tested chell drivers that I posted, but If you have time you can try sherry.
Technically sherry 1.2 was for XP, and newest for vista/win7 but you could try them:link

Even if you would have problems or even graphic bugs its matter of starting system in safe mode and reinstalling drivers to stock intel. But I never had such problems even with ATI custom drivers that I use even for longer time. Only one time system start up in safe graphic mode(minimal res,  basic driver mode) but it was my fault.

Its not miracle mode, but It seriously speed up some games and fix some problems that Intel cant fix for all those years(they are like sony, software division is really bad and they never fix small bugs)

Its not solution for every problem but any performance boost is good :]

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 02:56:16 pm »
Optimize_Textures=1 in soldat.ini will end up in less GPU memory usage (it will use smaller textures depending resolution choice). So that combined with lower resolution could help with problems caused by high video memory usage.
urraka

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 06:48:42 am »
Optimize_Textures=1 helped but I still don't see full Minimap, only flags and players.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:50:14 am by Savage »

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 09:39:47 am »
Another issue, all other maps I played today were OK. This black stripes aren't supposed to be there and again only 12fps.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:13:22 am by Savage »

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 01:08:46 pm »
Try Mipmapping=0 ... It fixed some of my graphics issues. Probably won't help, though...

You might want to try pasting the whole [GRAPHICS] section from the .ini file here.

PS. Anyone know what "Low Power Mode" or "Low_Power" in the ini file do?  ???  It's in the [GRAPHICS] section of the .ini file so...
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »
Does the same thing happen with smaller resolution? (I'd try with minimum, like 854x480). Optimize_Textures=1 will optimize more with lower resolution.

Also, did you try this suggestion:

Go into BIOS and look around and see if there's setting about how much of system ram to use as vram; increase it if possible

Replacing acutal images with old low resolution ones should help too (of course you'd lose nicer high res look though :P). That would need some tweaking in mod.ini file (depending what you replace, texture/scenery don't need anything there).

The minimap being invisible is probably due to lack of framebuffer support on your OpenGL driver (I haven't implemented mipmap generation without using that).
urraka

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 04:24:32 pm »
Go into BIOS and look around and see if there's setting about how much of system ram to use as vram; increase it if possible

I think I found it, 64MB is my default option. Should I choose MaxDVMT?

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 04:40:38 pm »
As far as I remember its dynamic memory allocation but it doesn't have any impact on performance(in real life, on a paper they say different thing).
Beside that its all depend on your RAM amount because intel graphic use shared memory. Selecting 128MB should give the same effects.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:44:31 pm by Akinaro »

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:36 pm »
Ok, now it seems to be OK but I had to disable Mipmapping too.

THX for help :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:01:04 pm by Savage »

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 04:48:59 pm »
I guess I'm a bit late now... But good to hear that's thing work out for you.  :)

Anyway... Yes, that's the option to look for. I would choose 128 instead of MaxDVMT — you get less ram for the OS to use but overall it's more stable and less hiccup. But seeing you only have 512mb ram (and I thought 2gb I got is low nowadays  [retard]), MaxDVMT might be a better choise...

You should try using the old textures; it's by far the best option. I actually have both the Optimize_Textures=1 and old texture; seem to work fine so far

PS. I just noticed that minimap doesn't show up in my machine too!  :o  ... Well, not that I ever use it anyway.  :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:10:23 pm by BKT »

Make sense...

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »
Good to hear you could get it working. Mind telling me what map is that in your last screens? I'm curious about why mipmapping does that there. Wondering if it's something just on your end or something bugged everywhere.
urraka