Author Topic: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems  (Read 345510 times)

Offline wbmc

• Major(1)
Re: Soldat on Linux Systems
« Reply #420 on: September 19, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »
I just installed Soldat 1.6.5 on Debian Testing (latest wine version from the repository). The only thing I found not to work was configuring the control buttons. It made the game hang and I had to kill it.

Offline mtk

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #421 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:26 pm »
So guys are you planning to relase linux client? How about 1.7? I tried to run it with wine and it works without bugs, its just unplayable (says it has 25fps but feels like 5)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #422 on: March 11, 2014, 05:58:20 pm »
Linux was and is always on my radar (I use Linux a lot lately).
But you probably know that we need to replace a lot of stuff to make this work on other platforums...
There are also a few things we need to figure out if we want to support other operating systems (how to handle soldat keys).

So it's an option but who knows when we finally manage to port it.
It's not like soldat runs well on window in the first place (it's worse on windows 8 actually).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Mojonized

• Major(1)
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2014, 05:28:51 am »
So guys are you planning to relase linux client? How about 1.7? I tried to run it with wine and it works without bugs, its just unplayable (says it has 25fps but feels like 5)

I had the same problems on linux - font rendering was the problem for me. Disabling death console helped with FPS a lot.

Offline nouefexe

• Major(1)
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:48 am »
it works here! 150 fps

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:34 pm »
it works here! 150 fps

Screenshot please.
There are other worlds than these

Offline ]{ing

• Major(1)
« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »
I exclusively use it on Linux(ubuntu 13.11). Running trough wine.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #427 on: May 29, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »
I exclusively use it on Linux(ubuntu 13.11). Running trough wine.

Screenshot please.

Post screenshot and your version of wine and any changes you made to winecfg so it's helpful for us.

Offline ]{ing

• Major(1)
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:09 pm »
Yeah sure.
I'm using wine-1.4.1. Had to add OffscreenRenderingMode(backbuffer) in wine registry to fix lag. And I'm playing in windowed mode, always. Get a black screen outside game quite often, but minimizing and maximizing back up fixes that.

Hope that helps.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
Soldat running properly!
« Reply #429 on: June 09, 2015, 04:34:12 am »
Hey guys,
after a few weeks I managed to run Soldat properly* on Linux! I am using Debian 7.0 Wheezy 64bit and installed Soldat via Playonlinux.
I could write a tutorial how I did it. Maybe it could help someone else, too. Is someone interested in that?

*no bugs or errors experienced so far, everything working fine, FPS at 50 - 60 [pretty sure there are still ways to improve that]

Edit: On my old netbook with Intel Atom processor w/ integrated gpu, however, it doesn't work that well. I can install and start the game, use the menu and start a match but there is the text is totally fucked up (see screenshot below). I already tried the suggestions mentioned a few pages before. Any hints?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:38:25 pm by CCalp »

Offline nouefexe

• Major(1)
« Reply #430 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:15 pm »
things ive changed from the default settings:

use vblank_mode=0 wine .wine/drive_c/Soldat/starter.exe to get your max fps.
i get 170 fps offline
and i have > 60 fps when playing 4vs4 (online) after that point it starts to lag a little bit.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #431 on: November 22, 2015, 04:48:01 pm »
just mentioning that Soldat should run now on all Linux systems without any trouble, since it was converted to OpenGL.
I didn't have a single bug in the three alpha versions and it runs with 600-700 FPS with wine.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #432 on: November 23, 2015, 08:39:55 am »
just mentioning that Soldat should run now on all Linux systems without any trouble, since it was converted to OpenGL.
I didn't have a single bug in the three alpha versions and it runs with 600-700 FPS with wine.

I myself cannot get more than 200 FPS, but anyways it's definitely smooth as fuck :-) Linux users, it's time to get back to Soldat!

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Re: Soldat on Linux & OS X Systems
« Reply #433 on: March 03, 2017, 08:41:54 am »
I was using Windows and playing Soldat, but now my laptop was needed to be fixed.... Today I`m using Linux, o I`m her with you guys!!!
This thread is old as hell (running Soldat on Linux with Wine is possible though). You may like hearing instead about native Linux support that is to come with new release: https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=44887.0

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #434 on: March 08, 2017, 09:11:19 pm »
I was using Windows and playing Soldat, but now my laptop was needed to be fixed.... Today I`m using Linux, o I`m her with you guys!!!
This thread is old as hell (running Soldat on Linux with Wine is possible though). You may like hearing instead about native Linux support that is to come with new release: https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=44887.0

When its released this thread should be locked with a message saying "Go here to download native"

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #435 on: March 09, 2017, 03:59:06 pm »
When its released this thread should be locked with a message saying "Go here to download native"
Hopefully, it's this year :)