Author Topic: After explosion smoke & Jet particles ammount  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
After explosion smoke & Jet particles ammount
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:13 am »
I mentioned that on other topic.

First question: It would be possible to set more particles of Jet boots(via eg. mod.ini value) and give it it own graphic?

I never liked that jet effect, but now on high res modes its just ugly, and its not even because of still old graphic(I replaced it with my own flame and still the same) But it just look like some small farts that came out from boots...
Also animation could be changed from "fading" to "fading+ reducing the size" so it would add nice effect of flames.

Second question: Because map of soldat are static one of easiest way to give it some dynamic(beside using heavy gifs) Is to make effect after explosion of nades and m79 gun.
It would be really small animation of smoke that would appear in place of explosion. It would not only make some background movements in static map it would give it some realism too.
To make i even easier you could just set longer time of current explosion and add that effect to it.

Small example: http://s26.postimg.org/455jy20iv/after_smoke.gif

It just example so dont complain that its too big or too bright :] (I didnt had mood to make it from scratch so I used sample+crater graphic)

Even using only small graphic of crater is nice, and its best way to give map some fake ""changeable environments"" effect.

I know its all depend on angle of surface, but as as far as I know Soldat have "real physics", so smoke would go up like in real life,, so as far as crater is complicated to add because of polygons angles, smoke should be possible to add.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:35:24 am by Akinaro »

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
Re: After explosion smoke & Jet particles ammount
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:14:28 pm »
F12, except I'd get rid of the small semi-transparent post-explosion flames. They're unrealistic and out of place, as frag nades usually don't burn the surroundings unless there's fuel/accelerant there. And also, I'd have the smoke more or less wafting together at some angle to the side, because this is happening outside, not in a closed air environment like a room, and you'd thing there'd be at least the slightest breeze carrying the smoke in its direction.

Edit: Edit your post's image link to this: http://s26.postimg.org/455jy20iv/after_smoke.gif

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:30:22 pm by %%%%%%% »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 02:40:05 am »
We've talked a bit about changing the particle system on IRC or at least increasing the number of frames for the explosion/fire/smoke. It's something devs also want to do at some point, but it very much depends on how easy this would be to implement. The more difficult it is - the further down the priority list it'll have to be pushed in favor of more important (and also difficult) things. Also we can't find anybody to make a good animated and copyright-free explosion, so even if the # of frames was increased - we'd still have to use the current crappy explosion.

Adding things like craters could be done in a similar way the polygon edges are applied... except poly edges are also buggy and broken. :/ But if those are fixed - I imagine decal system could also be implemented in the process, which would allow for things like that. Urraka said fixing edges would be difficult though because right now they're done in a stupid way which needs to be changed significantly. So again, it probably won't happen soon but devs are definitely aware of it.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:35:03 am »
Oh right I forgot that there are poly edges(I always turn them off)
But even bumping frames to eg 30-40 would be nice.

And copyright free explosion animation? There are loots of them, especially for independent video production, you just extract frames from them and modify to fit your needs. Or use 3D modeling app like blender to make it from static images(it would need few of them to hide "fake" effect).
Not to mention that lots of people posting free to use effects on Youtube, they dont have black/green screen but with 30-50 frames is should not take long to extract it.

%%%%%%%
It was stock image from my folder so its just example(as I wrote below image), so you should not judge it like it was end product for game ;)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 04:07:01 am »

Even using only small graphic of crater is nice, and its best way to give map some fake ""changeable environments"" effect.

That would never work. Either there might be crates in the air or somewhere else where it does not make sense (due to explosions on players or in the air) and even if you would somehow code it to only appear on polygon explosions that'd not work out due to the explosion angle and also the design some maps have (bridges etc.)

More articles would be good ofc. as it would make the animation look more fluent and adds the chance to add more details.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:29:12 am »
Sadly in soldat world it would probably never work and Im aware of that problems with crater, but still part of smoke after explosion is animated by almost rounded graphic so no matter of angle it physic is still physic and smoke go up. And even if someone would say that this smoke would go behind thin polygons or be in the middle of air? The same we have here with explosion so I dont see the problem with this part of "realism"

But even If im not a programmer and I dont know soldat from "behind the scene", i spend loots of time with game making/moding and I never encounter problem where it was too hard to eg. make longer animation for explosion or set different one after it. Even if game was made by one or two persons(especially iOS/Android games that I help for most of time).

Im not complaining about devs. So keep that in mind(but still I assume that one-two person would stick to this part), without them this game would be dead long time ago, I would rather complain about "under the hood" of Soldat.
But even if Soldat still have first-made-game vibe mess in code from times where MM made it, I just cant understand sometimes that if some small thing that its not that complicated and could just make game look better without that much work(like this setting 30-40 frames instead of 16) is really that hard to implement? (its actual question not sarcasm)

Because we dont talk about some major overhaul that would change game mechanic... its just 1-2 sec longer animation(and few more particles that come from boots).

Offline Control

• Major
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:40:41 am »
I believe in the smokes. :3

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:44:53 am by Control »