Author Topic: Charlie and Delta teams. Useless?  (Read 11930 times)

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Charlie and Delta teams. Useless?
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:07:20 am »
After scoreboard mockups and a long talk about DM/TM remakes, this issue comes in my mind again. I've played TM competitively since 2004 and we have never used Charlie and Delta teams.
Those useless teams broke every scoreboard mockups and fucks our minds when we are sketching good layouts for DM/TM maps.

It's time to say goodbye to them!? A decade later and this proved useless.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: Charlie and Delta teams. Useless?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:19:23 am »
Team Deathmatch is popular in the isolated brazilian comunity

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:36:47 am »
Several scripted servers that I play regularly uses those teams. (Climb, Runmode, Aimmode, ...)

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 11:00:26 am »
Ok, advice for you. Check out other modes and ask if there's any use for charlie/delta teams. Charlie/delta team has been here for many years if not from the very beginning.
Come back later and apologize.

There might be an option to just not use them or to hide them in TM/DM but ofc these teams are part of the game. How come noone ever asked for a removal? Yellow and green are lovely colours.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 08:32:36 pm »
Ok, advice for you. Check out other modes and ask if there's any use for charlie/delta teams. Charlie/delta team has been here for many years if not from the very beginning.
Oh, sorry man. I'm not part of the geek community that "forces" devs to change the player movement according to few lonely.
Maybe all those custom gamemodes could adapt their systems to two teams? What's so important on these modes that you can't get rid of Charlie and Delta?
I don't know, but the point is that when you sketch a scoreboard you have to add 4 teams and when you create a DM/TM map you have to add 4 teams, this is very annoying and I see it as a bigger problem than adapting custom modes.

Fella, I'm talking about a default gamemode and yeah, we were an isolated community, but the biggest community, even with horrible maps and gamemode that devs never touched, what is pretty dumb to be honest. You can sum the climb and other custom gamemodes players multiply by 100 and you are still far away from our community. If TM is only popular at an isolated community, what's climb? You must be kidding me. But hey, I'm not talking about it ;)

Oh, I was forgetting: No one plays Soldat anymore. The brazilian community or the super-custommodes-with-10teams community. It's time to move on? You can cut TM off the game or replace by climb. The point still the same. Do you get it?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:06:00 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 03:41:23 am »
Oh, sorry man. I'm not part of the geek community that "forces" devs to change the player movement according to few lonely.
Maybe all those custom gamemodes could adapt their systems to two teams? What's so important on these modes that you can't get rid of Charlie and Delta?
I don't know, but the point is that when you sketch a scoreboard you have to add 4 teams and when you create a DM/TM map you have to add 4 teams, this is very annoying and I see it as a bigger problem than adapting custom modes.

Fella, I'm talking about a default gamemode and yeah, we were an isolated community, but the biggest community, even with horrible maps and gamemode that devs never touched, what is pretty dumb to be honest. You can sum the climb and other custom gamemodes players multiply by 100 and you are still far away from our community. If TM is only popular at an isolated community, what's climb? You must be kidding me. But hey, I'm not talking about it ;)

Oh, I was forgetting: No one plays Soldat anymore. The brazilian community or the super-custommodes-with-10teams community. It's time to move on? You can cut TM off the game or replace by climb. The point still the same. Do you get it?

I don't see the point in gutting those two teams out of Soldat's code just because it makes making TM maps that properly support those two teams harder than it could be otherwise. Just make your TM map, omit the delta/charlie spawns, and let them spawn randomly in the other player spawns.

Also: i used to join my personal CTF servers, and /setteam4 myself to join one of the delta/charlie teams and run around holding  both alpha and blue flags. Was seriously fun shit.
There are other worlds than these

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 04:21:31 am »
Saying that Delta and Charlie team need to be removed, as they make it hard draw scoreboard mockups, doesn't make much sense for me. Why would you remove a core feature of Soldat instead of fixing the scoreboard then, to ignore delta & charlie. I personally don't even know what's the issue with the scorebord to be honest.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:13:36 am »
Personally I think it would be a good idea to put Charlie and Delta as optional for the servers. Maps can still be made where those teams make perfect sense but it's still annoying when you have a game with two teams and there's always somebody joining who just messes things up. At least, that's how things used to work when ordinary servers had players.

Offline Toxic Avenger

• Major
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 05:55:42 pm »
Or fucking learn how to play team death match? Don't use 2 teams, you're not getting it.
Your arguments are bad.

EDIT: Million year old post, sry. I blame Name.

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 02:52:52 pm »
After scoreboard mockups and a long talk about DM/TM remakes, this issue comes in my mind again. I've played TM competitively since 2004 and we have never used Charlie and Delta teams.
Those useless teams broke every scoreboard mockups and fucks our minds when we are sketching good layouts for DM/TM maps.

It's time to say goodbye to them!? A decade later and this proved useless.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 04:34:22 pm »
Please, stop being rude and try to think about other povs.

Just link some things I've said. 4 teams are bad for the current TM layouts. Plus, at the time of this post I was creating some mockups for the scoreboard and 4 teams was a problem, especially considering that we hadn't new graphics (aka 1080p), so 4 teams looked even worse at 640x480. It's stupid to talk like I've never played TM or joined the forum this year.

Here's a decent feedback:
Personally I think it would be a good idea to put Charlie and Delta as optional for the servers. Maps can still be made where those teams make perfect sense but it's still annoying when you have a game with two teams and there's always somebody joining who just messes things up. At least, that's how things used to work when ordinary servers had players.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:28:19 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 01:43:47 pm »
Add
Server Teams = 0-4 //0 only spec 1 only alpha 2 alpha bravo, 3 alpha bravo chariele

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 04:59:50 am »
Please, stop being rude and try to think about other povs.

Just link some things I've said. 4 teams are bad for the current TM layouts. Plus, at the time of this post I was creating some mockups for the scoreboard and 4 teams was a problem, especially considering that we hadn't new graphics (aka 1080p), so 4 teams looked even worse at 640x480. It's stupid to talk like I've never played TM or joined the forum this year.

Here's a decent feedback:

I am not being even close to rude or trying to insult you.
I know that majority of players are clueless about what happens in-game aside his favorite game mode, so don't feel offended, this is "polite" reaction on saying that something in the game is useless when it is obviously not(even Rambomatch LOL).

As for TM issues, that could, can, and will be always solved with scripting, by adding several rules and conditions about players joining teams, but since TM wasn't too popular, no one actually invested time into writing proper balance script.

Add
Server Teams = 0-4 //0 only spec 1 only alpha 2 alpha bravo, 3 alpha bravo chariele

Yeah, pretty much, easily done by scripting.

As for layouts, they look dope! Have you reposted them into Discord to any devs/creative team hub?
I think with some help they can be adjusted to any resolution.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:37:00 am by Irlandec »