Soldat Talk > Game Improvements / Suggestions

ergonomic default controls

(1/5) > >>

darDar:
This topic is about getting the horriblly awful soldat default controls changed to something better, so that new soldat players aren't even more lost and confused than they are anyway.

By default you throw grenades with [E]
by default you drop your gun / throw knife with [F]
and by default you prone by clicking [X]
 and all of these key assignations are bad.

Soldat is a game which requires a lot of skill and fast paced action, that means you can't just press WASD and shoot like you do in CS:GO and other games. You will have to press several of different keys in a really short interval to be a good player. Certain things are not possible with the current default setup. If you claim they are possible, you must've invented a really weird way of using your keyboard or the way you do it slows you down a lot.

e.g; You can't possibly throw a knife [F] while pressing [X] at the same time

The image above shows which keys are 100% ergonomic (on common keyboards) and you can assign all 5 fingers to them without ever the need to re arrange them. You can just leave them placed on the keys while playing (which you can't on the default setup) C and CTRL aren't ergonomic but are the closest keys to use for any other action such as prone.

That's a change which was comes with scientific proof and it literally takes 30 seconds to add it to the game.

Bistoufly:

--- Quote from: darDar on April 11, 2016, 08:13:44 am ---The image above shows which keys are 100% ergonomic (on common keyboards) and you can assign all 5 fingers to them without ever the need to re arrange them.

--- End quote ---

Yes the rule of the five fingers. Shift and space bar should be used in the default keybindings scheme.
That's a good place to start.

L[0ne]R:
Fully agreed, default controls are awful and should be changed. That's not even up for debate IMO, you've explained why this changed is needed well. We just need to agree on the new default bindings. Personally, I have prone on Shift and "throw weapon" on Spacebar and it works wonderfully, and everything else bound to mouse (except WASD and flag throw).

I'd change default controls to the following:

* Throw flag - F
* Throw weapon - spacebar.
* Throw grenade - middle mouse button.
* Switch weapons - scroll wheel. (Q binding could also be kept)

darDar:
I don't think binding more actions than jet and fire is a to the mouse is a good idea. changing weapon with scroll is certainly a bad idea as 1) you can only wear 2 weapons anyway 2) It will slow things down a lot + Q is certainly a known weapon to change the weapon in 95+% games.
Same goes for using the middle click. That's certainly a horrible key especially for nade throws / knife throws as these actions require instinctive feeling which a middle click does not provide. Also, good knifers / nade throwers will adjust their aim while charging the throw and keeping middle mouse button pressed + moving the mouse is not ergonomic at all.
You'll also have to comepletely re-arrange your hand to the mouse 2 times; 1) when using the middle mouse click 2) when going back to the default position. This will cause losing your aim momentum a lot.

I' have binded mouse 4 to ingame voice and mouse 5 to voice chat (ts3, mumble). Whenever I'm using those in FPS such as CS:GO i'm losing a bit control over my mouse. On a competitive level things like that will make you lose.

as a side note:
I personally use spacebar for grenades and Shift for dropping guns + knife throws

BlackHoles:
This is my setup which i use since 2 years and happy with it:

S - Prone (fast to reach)
SPACE - Crouch (is good there for fast low cannonball)
Mouse 4 - Nade (you can walk left/right and jump (Space is good too for that))
Mouse 5 - Switch weapon
Shift - Throw weapon
roll Mousewheel - Throw Flag

Its for sure not the perfect setup while nadecancel is not working well.

In past I good managed nade throw and pronecancel with:

Space - Nade (is good here for fast nade tap)
Shift - Weaponchange (is good here for nade cancel)

Also I would set the mouse sensetivity to 30%-50% as default for newcommers.
I think newcommers could better aim with that rather than get sticked to 100% sensitivity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version