Author Topic: Soldat on Discord (Teamspeak and Chat combined!)  (Read 17616 times)

Offline themangokid

• Major(1)
Soldat on Discord (Teamspeak and Chat combined!)
« on: October 15, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »
Hi! This is my first post ever on soldat forums. This post is regarding a program called discord. It is a free alternative to IRC and Teamspeak. Why discord? Arguments is here: https://discordapp.com/features
Sure, the application does not remove IRC totally, it might still be needed for gathers. We are currently 10 people on the server. Hope we can get some active players to talk to and not only chat.

Join in browser (or download here)
http://gather.soldat.pl/discord

Edit by darDar: merged nosejj's reply:

[REPOST FROM SCTFL]

[WHAT'S DISCORD?]

The design is a real step up, the features are amazing and the sound quality is good... And it's all for free, you don't even have to pay for a server... Are they madly insane?!

DISCORD is a unique application that was specifically designed by gamers for gamers. It is made to withstand the current non-stop updates in the gaming world, whereas the VOIP programs aren't updated as much.

[WHY WOULD WE USE IT?]

First and foremost the idea is creating one place for all the Soldaters to be. There is SCTFL, Soldat Forums, Facebook lurkers and some other co-communities that might run that we aren't really aware of. themangokind already created a #soldat  community server (as shown on preview below) - this link is an invite, just press it to get redirect to the server!

It can be a great tool for everyone to connect and make new people feel more welcomed perhaps in the more competitive scene.

Just to be clear there's no intention for it to replace IRC  that we've been using for so long. Maybe one day it will if there'll be a gather-bot integration for there or something. But that's not the case - this is about community. :)

[APP SNEAKPEAK]

[WHY IS DISCORD FREE?]

Never pay for voice chat again
Discord is always completely free to use with no gotchas. This means you can make as many servers as you want with no slot limitations.
Wondering how we’ll make money? In the future there will be optional cosmetics like themes, sticker packs, and sound packs available for purchase. We’ll never charge for Discord’s core functionality.

[FEATURES]

• Allows anyone to create a server for free with a click of a button (Location pickable too)
• Allows creating shareable links to a specific server (Invite only mode possible too)
• Allows integration with Skype / Steam to connect with more players
• Allows to integrate Soldat with the application, so "nsj - playing Soldat" will show
• Web access for players who are using a temporary setup of some kind
• Text chat (IRC like) which allows a greater interactive experience.
• Free phone app to connect with

(Press image for a full list of features)

[DOWNLOAD DISCORD]

[LAST WORDS]

It's easy to be skeptical about something new, and I'm expecting already the "this game is dead" comments from the drained ones. But this is a really neat app and opportunity to try to bring in some new spirit. Give it a try! Try the web version and if you like it download the application, integrate with Soldat and invite your friends! This can work. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:00:44 pm by darDar »

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
Re: Join our discord server! (Like a better teamspeak)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 03:05:06 am »
Looks terrific. I already downloaded it to my pc and my clan will test it today.

Offline themangokid

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 03:55:17 am »
Glad I could help! When I have time I will try to create a gather bot :) Or someone else does that; anyways it would be nice to inform people regarding this, so spread the word. Also consider to not create your own server for your clan just yet, it is nice to have one common place (like #soldat) where people can idle) and then invidivual servers for clans where discussion of tactics etc is done!

Here is the link again if the first one above doesn't work: https://discord.gg/vnMWCCd

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 06:35:21 am »
I'm using Discord on my PC and Android. Great software! You can also use scripts...
Almost an IRC 2.0 :D
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:26:22 pm »
/Edit by darDar: merged nosejj's reply to OP.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:51:39 am by darDar »

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:22:29 am »
Looks amazing. A shame there is no client for Linux, though... It's not open source either, is it?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:24:29 am »
It's not OSS, no.
Linux client is available here
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:40:56 pm »
Discord is nice. It's like they combined teamspeak and Slack.
There are other worlds than these

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
Re: Soldat on Discord (Teamspeak and Chat combined!)
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 07:52:36 am »
stickied
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline themangokid

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 06:13:14 pm »
Want to update that we are now around 80 players on the server! Going great, I'm still trying to get public players to use it and those with out a community. (like my self) I would love to see more admins be there and idle and maybe some IRC ppl as well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:46:23 am by themangokid »

Offline Slasher

• Soldier
  • Peace
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 06:19:59 pm »
Discord is one big app,good job themangokid.
Make love, not war.

Offline themangokid

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:47:43 am »
Maybe if we direct our focus on Discord + the new graphics coming out we could get an modern soldat going? (It can be played flawless on linux as well soo... steam next?)

Offline Outcast

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • Semi-retired antagonist
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 03:28:03 pm »
Do join us on discord, we've gotten to over 40 people and still slowly growing. It's like IRC, only better, and with voice chat so you can do voice com clanwars without having a vent/TS server.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:29:34 pm by Outcast »
o/

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 12:58:47 pm »
You're going to end up on discord sooner or later! Cuz that's where it's @

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
Soldat Discord ? What's New!?
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 09:04:23 am »
* post moved to Soldat's Official Discord new topic.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:10:37 am by nosejj »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 04:25:58 pm »
- Provide an update to darDar's WM
Why? When his first wm came out everyone was shocked at how bad it was, and how most guns weren't viable. His later attempts have been pretty trash too, only new players and basically players who are quite lacking in skill (also some who claim they can predict bulletspread... no idea if they're hacking and just making shit up).

All he does is pay for servers, there's others who could do that instead. He's easily replaceable, it's only like 5-10? a month. You shouldn't keep somebody who continiously fucks everything up around, just because he pays some monthly fee, and absolutely not give him power.

Same goes for ricr who banned paraq because ricr didn't like paraqs discord name, and all his other admin abuses.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 12:56:54 am »
- Provide an update to darDar's WM
Why? When his first WM came out everyone was shocked at how bad it was, and how most guns weren't viable. His later attempts have been pretty trash too, only new players and basically players who are quite lacking in skill (also some who claim they can predict bullet-spread... no idea if they're hacking and just making shit up).

All he does is pay for servers, there's others who could do that instead. He's easily replaceable, it's only like 5-10? a month. You shouldn't keep somebody who continuously fucks everything up around, just because he pays some monthly fee, and absolutely not give him power.

Same goes for ricr who banned paraq because ricr didn't like paraqs discord name, and all his other admin abuses.
1) My admin status aside, I personally like his WM better. I think the AK needs to be less trololo, have the Desert Eagles tad stronger and add the Barret M82A1 +2 bullets. Claiming your WM is perfect and regarding to the alternative as trash is rather bias since you're the one criticizing them.

2) I do not think your WM is bad, although I have criticism (just like I have criticism towards darDar's WM) and I appreciate your work, but your general attitude trashing someone else's work is rather childish. Competition is okay, be a fair opponent and let the numbers do the talking ? see how many gathers are played on darDar's WM and how much are played in yours. Smile upon victory, and hold your head up high even if you lose.

3) darDar was in charge of many changes throughout the years from #Gather.EU to #Soldat to today's Soldat's Discord. Between the actions of his work, he also pays for the servers. Moreover he is officially on charge of Soldat's WM, so eventually, whatever you'll come up with, I honestly do not know if it is going to be used. I am not saying that to be mean, but to be realistic. Hell, I am one of the guys who pushed for implementing your WM and giving it a chance. Bottom line, it isn't about money, it's about him doing more than you know for this community. Being grateful once in a while won't kill someone.

4) ricr did right by banning paRaq, for deliberately using the nickname "Ricr" on Discord. Moreover, ricr is not a part of the staff at the moment, so I do not know why do you insist on dwelling on this. Move on.

This is not behalf of the administration team, but my own personal opinions, so you'll have at least one answer.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:45:03 am by nosejj »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 02:43:59 am »
4) ricr did right by banning paRaq, for deliberately using the nickname "Ricr" on Discord. Moreover, ricr is not a part of the staff at the moment, so I do not know why do you insist on dwelling on this. Move on.

Heh, banning someone for using a nick... wow. This show nice quality of administration. Normal person would just warn him and kick him for hour or two. Unless it was fun joke that everyone else enjoy, in any normal community such jokes are common and even mods often do that if other enjoy such joke for 5minutes of talking. banning someone just because he used nick is just childish...

As for WM... get real for God sake. No one ever gonna get perfect WM, DarDar WM suck, your WM ginn suck too. But in the same your WM is good, just like DarDar. There is no perfect balance and never will be, especially for cancer competitive scene  like Soldat have, where there is just dozen of old players who know each other and because of that they behave like family in trip car crying about everything(tommy took my cola!!!! Marta talk on the phone!!! Why is it so hot?! turn on the AC!) No matter what you do one person make so many noise about that that it annoy everyone else.

If I would be in charge of WM i would separate public WM from Gather, so normal players who want to just play a fricking game dont need to deal with crap that Gather making. And Gather can sit on discord and throw on each other faeces.

Soldat right now need new players, fresh blood that need quick and easy fun after joining any public server. Because guess what? They dont give a crap about gathers. Dont forget how we all started it= from public game where we didnt give a crapp about if gun is reloading in 0.5432 seconds or 0.5103  It cant afford to deal with stupid things like war between few old players that make it all personal. Right now WM is crappy not because of setting it have but because of eats and lags. The End.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 03:06:27 am »
Heh, banning someone for using a nick... wow. This show nice quality of administration. Normal person would just warn him and kick him for hour or two. Unless it was fun joke that everyone else enjoy, in any normal community such jokes are common and even mods often do that if other enjoy such joke for 5 minutes of talking. banning someone just because he used nick is just childish...
You're entitled to your opinion.

There is no perfect balance and never will be, especially for competitive scene like Soldat has.
I agree this is subjective. But a lot see darDar's WM as successful. I think with DE, AK & Barret changes I suggest, every gun will be viable in that.

If I would be in charge of WM i would separate public WM from Gather, so normal players who want to just play a friggin' game don't need to deal with crap that Gather making. And Gather can sit on discord and throw on each other faeces.
Just curious, are you a member of Discord? Did you play both WM's? If you haven't played a few full games with the WM's then I cannot take your opinion about them too seriously.

Soldat right now need new players, fresh blood that need quick and easy fun after joining any public server. Because guess what? They don't give a crap about gathers. Don't forget how we all started it= from public game where we didn't give a crap about if gun is reloading in 0.5432 seconds or 0.5103  It cant afford to deal with stupid things like war between few old players that make it all personal. Right now WM is crappy not because of setting it have but because of eats and lags. The End.
Soldat is one thing, and Discord is another. Our goal is to create a communal hub where players of all sorts can gather (ctf/hns/climbers/etc...), one of our main services is Gathers which have been a tool to provide more quality skilled games for the more experienced players, and a chance to learn competitive 3v3 ctf for the less experienced ones. We know not everyone is going to be appealed to this concept.

Only thing I agree with you is: as far as I understand, Netcode & hits registration are helping imbalance the WM with whichever settings there'll be.

P.S. We can understand you perfectly clear without using words such as "suck, "faeces", "give a crap", "crappy".
I understand you're at some high level of frustration (over 9,000?), but we all love the game and want it to evolve. Otherwise we wouldn't come back to these forums, would we?

Take it easy, pal. ;)

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 03:52:51 pm »
Of course unexperienced players will play the normal gather more often. If you reversed the WMs people wouldn't start to do !wmadd instead of normal add, just to play dardars wm. Even though dardars and default wm benefits lesser players A LOT, since aiming is more or less gone in it, and also only a couple of weapons are viable (steyr and spas).

darDar virtually killed soldat when he came up with his shitty 1.7.1 wm. NOBODY liked it, it was a total joke about how bad all the guns were, and how unbalanced it was.
Now we've been stuck on 1.7.1 for some years, and people have learned to live with it.

Name a single thing darDar has actually done? All I know is that Usso hosted servers that darDar used.
Also, while I'm not sure, I don't think darDar was the founder of #gather.eu. So, he can't take any credit for that... He later killed it anyway.

Lots of people would be willing to pay 5? a month for soldat servers. You don't actually need a dedicated server to run a few soldat servers on it, either if you're hosting other stuff you cram in soldat there, or just get a VPS.
Flash and Xvays are the only ones who can take any credit for soldat gathers becoming active again... I honestly don't understand why darDar got any power there. It's a new gather channel, and darDar isn't doing anything for it (other than 5? a month).

Nobody would notice anything if darDar disappeared. Somebody else would pay for the servers, there are plenty of people who would do it. All the other things he does could easily be replaced by somebody else (making up rules to ban people isn't exactly a difficult task).
Soldat is dead, it's been for a long time... A lot because of darDar. A steam release with a shit wm isn't going to change it. Even if you got a perfect wm soldat would still be just as dead as it is now.

paraq has had that ricr nick for a long time, ricr ban abused (as usual).

Also, my wm actually got the most votes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:10:32 pm by ginn »