Author Topic: A new art direction for 1.8  (Read 47009 times)

Offline xdragon1x1

• Major(1)
Re: A new art direction for 1.8
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 05:59:44 pm »
Looks awesome. Just keep this amazing work you have done. thx for the effort.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 01:28:29 am »
We will reduce official map list to ~ 15 per game mode, mb. More maybe less, depending on progress.
There's already a new official map pool, which will be released *somewhen*.
I guess the HUD will be touched as well, at some point in the future.
amen
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Ratman

• Major(1)
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 02:29:27 am »
Looks amazing!

Hopefully HUD and user interface in general gets an update for the next release.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2016, 08:50:41 am »
Wow, amazing job! From personal experience, it seems a lot of people I know care about graphics more than gameplay when first looking at a game, so this is certainly important to many people. I really like how there is a plan for a cohesive style; Dropdown certainly looks really nice. I can certainly see 1.8 looking like this bringing new players to Soldat.

The goals of the new art direction are a cohesive style, much improved visuals, and improved readability of the game elements.
Does the focus on game elements mean the looks/style of the menu system is going to be left mostly untouched for 1.8?

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 09:01:17 am »
The goals of the new art direction are a cohesive style, much improved visuals, and improved readability of the game elements.
Does the focus on game elements mean the looks/style of the menu system is going to be left mostly untouched for 1.8?

Nope! More details about this in the future.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline paintZoom

• Major
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 05:08:48 pm »
i gotta say that game enviroment is too "still" currently.  it makes the game feel like playin on top of a picture xD
as someone suggested you could add parallax or particle effects to include on specific parts of the map to make it a bit more alive (smoke columns, mists, classic fire on a can, blinkin lights, that kind of stuff that give u environmet/atmosphere)
or some animation system for the maps u know "tools" for the creative..
but anyway that art is lookin really great
i showed the screenshots to some people and  they went "wow thats cool" so the job is gettin done quite nicely :D
keep up the good work!

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2016, 06:29:40 pm »
Amazing job, monsteri. Thank you so much for for all the time you spend on Soldat!

My Feedback: Everything great, only the crates look a little too cartoony. (wouldn't be a big deal for me, but just sayin)

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 12:34:09 pm »
This looks so much better, looking forward to seeing the other maps. Just please don't mess with the layouts and colliders of the originals.

Edit: We need to get on with the marketing of this as well if we want anyone to appreciate this beauty of an update.

I mean does Soldat even have a twitter account?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:49:25 am by soulblade »

Offline themangokid

• Major(1)
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2016, 09:25:09 am »
This will be soooooo gooood with a 144 hertz screen. I'm just going to run around and look at the maps to begin with..!

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2016, 10:53:45 am »
This will be soooooo gooood with a 144 hertz screen. I'm just going to run around and look at the maps to begin with..!
Combined with a good graphics card you can use for antialiasing and stuff you're gonna be soo happy ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:13:47 am by homerofgods »

Offline porquilho

• Major(1)
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 04:34:35 pm »
This looks incredible, this type of stuff will increase more the number of players who download the game than actually adding stuff to the game.
More new players => bigger community => soldat death avoided

Now the next thing we should do is to remove the lag from the Barret. This has killed that gun for good, its not fun to play with it since it was introduced a lag, you guys ruined a perfectly fine gun.

Thanks for whoever made this new version possible.

Offline Mokkun

• Major(1)
  • Zz
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2016, 04:18:16 pm »
Nice fucking job, I personally like the original graphics of the game because I always put gameplay above graphics but yeah I know a lot of people that will refuse to touch a game if the graphics are too "shitty".
That being said the new art direction looks amazing. I agree with some people that said "the players style now look a bit off" but I think it can be fixed pretty easily.

Thanks a lot to you guys for keeping this game alive and adding more features, and for all the work you put the keep the player base alive too. Soldat is one of my favorite game of all time and I wish more people could see the potential and the fun this game can bring.

Thanks again, you guys rocks.

Offline kusyi

• Major(1)
  • Ural Clan
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 01:07:26 pm »
Great job, keep going.
^^

Offline You Got Served!

• Major(1)
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2016, 07:56:19 pm »
Thank you for inviting us to share our thoughts. Here are mine...

You are ugly and have been since creation. Soldat (pre 1.7.0) is gorgeous.

I don't get why all these guys are boning Monsteri for having produced something which a ten year old could have done within 30 minutes on MS paint.

I will literally piss myself to death if these re-skinned maps are released with credit to the current dev team as opposed to the original map makers.

One can easily change the look of Soldat by using mods. This is essentially what you are. Modders. Not creators/developers. These classic maps look dated yes - that's because they're old. Are you going to suggest that your Nan should get some plastic surgery done? I will take you guys seriously when I see some genuinely brilliant and original content being produced. Stop piggybacking on the success of yesterday and establish your own content. Noob Produce!

Many, many Soldat maps are genius in design and absolutely should be preserved in their original form. What even is this "dead space" you speak of. So because you haven't figured out how to play 14 year old maps means your going to remove them from the zip or mutilate them? Such horseplay. Stop it. It isn't funny.

Did Potato Jesus teach you nothing?

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2016, 03:32:22 am »
Thank you for inviting us to share our thoughts. Here are mine...

You are ugly and have been since creation. Soldat (pre 1.7.0) is gorgeous.

Cool, its your opinion, but its a game, not personal toy. Its product for masses, not for bunch of old players that play it because its remind them "good old days".
And as any product, if you want it to exist on market, you need to modify it to fit new times and trends.
You need to work on it taking in to the account voice of all players new and old. And right now Soldat need new players, so it need to fit their needs.

Those are basics rules of creating any public content.
For past years, bunch of  people like you was limiting Soldat to evolve, because you cry like little girl when one polygon was changed in map, and you cant sleep at night because of that.
Soldat was stuck as personal toy of old players that cry everytime when something is changed. And now we have result of that tactic: game is dying like never before, and all you can see in public servers are the same faces... all the time, almost 0 new players.
Because remember that public servers,not gathers are power that keep game alive.

I don't get why all these guys are boning Monsteri for having produced something which a ten year old could have done within 30 minutes on MS paint.
Be our guest! Create Mockup of ONE MAP in MS paint! Or at least part of it! C'mon! Or you just like talking?

Monsteri made great job here, and I know how hard is to work almost alone in project. I spend years helping people in their projects and I know how damn hard is to try to make something new keeping old style.
Yes, maybe some part are "too cartoon'ish" but its a mater or few small fixes on few object. Rest is perfect for soldat, it can fight in market with any other 2D action game with that graphic. Even if it still lack of few things that need to be add(paralax, multitexture and simple animated/physic objects)

One can easily change the look of Soldat by using mods. This is essentially what you are. Modders. Not creators/developers.

So go get older version of Soldat, and try to create mod like that... be our guest!

As i see most of changes are under the hood, just like new way of management gostek graphic that now is in one simple file, you can modify every part of it... could you made that in mod in older Soldat? No. Because you dont see small things, you just see your own nose in front of you.

Many, many Soldat maps are genius in design and absolutely should be preserved in their original form.

Examples?
Because you realize that most of maps WILL preserve their original design, and all what will be done is graphic on top of it? You gonna cry because there will be changed one polygon so you will need to learn again how to play map?

I personally would like to lost one player like you and get 2 new ones if this update will be released.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:34:20 am by Akinaro »

Offline Xestor

• Major(1)
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2016, 08:33:40 pm »
gamebreaking bugs have been in this game for years and nothing really changed
visual improvements will not really bring a new activity if the game is still in the state as it was 10 years ago

just my unpopular and unpleased opinion, peace

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2016, 07:16:07 am »
gamebreaking bugs have been in this game for years and nothing really changed
visual improvements will not really bring a new activity if the game is still in the state as it was 10 years ago

just my unpopular and unpleased opinion, peace
What game breaking bugs?
Netcode and eats? Yeah, sure... But CS GO has an almost equally as bad netcode/hit registration.

Visuals is one of the most important things for a game, nowadays.
As well as the ability to customize your character.

Offline Ettan

• Major(1)
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 09:59:59 am »
Love it! Keep it up guys, you're doing great :)

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »
No more spoilers?
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper