Author Topic: Ten Years of TMS (The [Soldat] Mapping Showcase)  (Read 3957 times)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Ten Years of TMS (The [Soldat] Mapping Showcase)
« on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »
It was over ten years ago I started building a website to host maps for my Soldat friend Ivel (Also known as Chrono). The maps were programmatically uploaded onto his site (then yossi.jrgp.org) and stored in MySQL. I was ~13.

We later came to the idea that we could open up the site for public use. This is what put TMS in its current form.

Ten years later, we still have at least a few maps uploaded every year, and now have a total of 1,597 user-submitted Soldat maps.

TMS differs from other sites which aggregate maps in that all of its maps are uploaded by the map's author, and was designed to serve as a portfolio of sorts, rather than just a collection of thousands of maps.

Here you can see, for instance, all of VirtualTT's maps

Or Wraithlike's

Or my own, granted I haven't mapped since 2009.

You can also view all maps uploaded per year: http://tms.jrgp.org/2010/?action=maps_timeframe

2007 had the most maps uploaded, at 436. 2015 had the least at just 5.

Without further ado: here is the home page: http://tms.jrgp.org/2010/

I look forward to the next ten years of Soldat, as well as the mapping showcase, because I'm positive both will still be around.

Cheers,
jrgp
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:40:43 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Slasher

• Soldier
  • Peace
Re: Ten Years of TMS (The [Soldat] Mapping Showcase)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:27:06 pm »
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees, I hope the soldat is more than 10 years old, I will put the maps of the buster there. (I have now discovered where I can put the maps for others to play :D). ty for the site jrgp :)
Make love, not war.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:54:31 am »
I look forward to the next ten years of Soldat, as well as the mapping showcase, because I'm positive both will still be around.

Amen. Thanks for all the great work you keep doing for this game :)

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:42 am »
huh, it's been 10 years of TMS? wow. looking at my maps page, doesn't seem like I did a whole lot, lmao

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:55:59 pm »
It's nice this website is still up. We've seen many memorable Soldat web pages disappear over last decade. Hopefully this one not only continues to work but also live better days again (with more traffic).

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:16 pm »
huh, it's been 10 years of TMS? wow. looking at my maps page, doesn't seem like I did a whole lot, lmao

Jesus you made over a hundred: http://tms.jrgp.org/2010/index.php?user=32

It's nice this website is still up. We've seen many memorable Soldat web pages disappear over last decade. Hopefully this one not only continues to work but also live better days again (with more traffic).

TMS isn't going down. I also host the rest of THD/Soldat (like this forum) and those aren't going down either.

I miss Selfkill and Fracs and the original SoldatPage and a bunch of others :-/
There are other worlds than these

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?

Offline Slasher

• Soldier
  • Peace
Make love, not war.