Author Topic: Soldat is now 15 years old!  (Read 15102 times)

helloer

Soldat is now 15 years old!
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:39:15 am »
Happy birthday Soldat!

The first public release (0.9.4b) was on May 9, 2002.

What's your story? How did you start playing soldat? Do you still play it? Any memorable moments you'd like to share?

Offline MrHamsTR

• Soldier
  • One day, everything will end..
Re: Soldat is now 15 years old!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:41:19 am »
Playing for over ten years.
What a legend.
Is there anybody can write script?
Good, go and play soldat ^^

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:03:05 am »
Amazing! Did my thing with social media. :)

I was introduced to Soldat by a friend back in high school, been playing it like crazy back then. Made few long lasting friendships over it as well. Thanks for all the fun! :)

"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 08:15:34 am »
Back in middle school when I still had no internet connection I happened to be over at my friend's house and he was playing this fast paced shooter. I fell in love at the first glance and begged my parents to hook our home to DSL line. All my classmates were all playing CS and I stuck through thick and thin with soldat. Damn time really does fly.

Im chill like that

Offline Outcast

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • Semi-retired antagonist
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 08:19:17 am »
Happy birthday Soldat!

I've recently returned to playing Soldat and it's still a game I've fallen in love with 15 years ago.
Simple, yet so full of posibilities. It's sad seeing it in the state it's in right now, but it will endure atleast for a while yet, I believe.

There have been many memorable moments over the years, I guess I could name a few.

- In my only SCTFL tournament win, while not playing the first map, I was on voice chat with the clan. I went away to get something, and accidentaly stepped on my headset's line and tore it out. Because of this it was decided I can't play the map I was supposed to play. In my desperation I went to my neighbour which I knew used to game, but I barely knew otherwise, and asked his Mom(he wasn't home) if I can borrow a headset. Ofcourse she looked at me sideways and sent me away. We won the finals but I didn't get to play.

- There used to be a secret fun clan called "The Fluffos" where we assumed secret fluffo alteregos. We were seperated by color. I was "The Silver Fluffo". All of us in this clan were good players in good clans but we used this to play for fun and fuck around. We played clanwars with silly restrictions like playing knife only, triple m79 lineups, weird tactics and so on. I believe it was started by TomPenny, an oldie fellow Slovenian player.

- The hate for the left. Still not sure if by design or simply a bug, but Barrett used to shoot differently when aiming to the left side. It was sometimes kinda random and weird, so back in the day of no delay or bink barret having the left side on a map was very advantageus, especially on larger barrett friendly maps.
But ofcourse, some players took that as a challenge and to a degree mastered the random shot! Urhos was one of them, and probably the greatest Leftie Barretter ever.

- Soldat used to be on ESL - Electronic Sports League! There was quite an active 1on1 league going on, with occasional tournaments.

- There was a patch somewhere along the line where you could shoot the LAW while prone(SUPERMAN LAW!), which led to a huge increase in Barrett+LAW combos which basically doomed that mechanic to failure and it was removed the next patch. It was OP as hell but very satisfying.

o/

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:45:02 am »
Still one of my fav games  ;D [fist]
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline You Got Served!

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 12:14:05 pm »
Michal should be chuffed over the success that Soldat has seen. Many people, including myself, regard it as the BEST online multiplayer game ever created. Countless hours and many, many great memories have been had and are yet still to be had, so I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to you, Sir Michal. Cheers, mate! /victory

I remember having to update to version 1.0. Little did I know that I would still be here 15 years later playing it with people who share the same enthusasim for the game as I do. Thanks to the dev team for continuing to support this game and to the community who have kept it alive.

Sto lat, Soldat <3

Stick around!

Offline Mokkun

• Major(1)
  • Zz
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 01:56:52 pm »
Best game and best memories

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 01:38:11 am »
Happy Birthday!

Feels it was only yesterday we were celebrating its 5 year birthday: https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=14289.0

Soldat has had a tremendous impact on my life. I started playing in 2004, after googling "free multiplayer 3d shooter." All my friends in real life at the time played Halo 2 but I was much better at Soldat and liked it a lot more.

I joined the old ASP forums around that time and talked a lot. A few years later, I started writing PHP programs around soldat kill logs and that forced me to learn more about web design and MySQL. The result of that is why I've had successes in the tech industry.

I owe a lot of my favorite childhood memories, as well as my current career, to Soldat.

I also met three people from Soldat IRL: MM, FliesLikeABrick and Wraithlike. I lived with Wraithlike in Mountain View, CA for around two years. And I meet up with FliesLikeABrick every 2.5 years or so since 2009 (most recently a few months back).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:48:07 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:09:29 am »
Well, happy birthday!

Started to play Soldat long time ago. I discovered Soldat thanks to my cousin. Not sure which version was that. Pretty early I bet. (Much) Later, happened to get it on my PC from the PC magazine. Didn't have an internet connection that time. I played a lot single player that time. It was v1.3.0. Later got DA INTERNET. I think Soldat was on v1.4.2 that time.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 08:56:33 pm »
Huh, didn't know my and Soldat's birthdays are only 3 days apart. Well, this cake's for Soldat then. :P

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 03:40:33 pm »
Still one of my fav games  ;D [fist]
should be! :p

congrats soldat!
www.soldatx.com.br - The brazilian Soldat community.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 02:40:00 am »
Yeah, I'm having nostalgia... I really hope the new version actually comes out.

Secret compilation of old footage: https://my.mixtape.moe/thymom.webm

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 04:44:27 pm »
i started probz early 2003, never attention to forums and stuff. only recently (2007) wanted to ban some cheaters so i started paying visits to community. dun play since 2010 i think, but i still remember how refreshing i felt to kill some toyppl on a archaic game, specially after an overnight of lawyring , crank hand and bloody eyes. the toyppl melt like butter against my iron and were astonished by my superior mov skills and incesantly awesomeness

Offline pinOi32

• Camper
  • "Bravo kid's bad day"
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 04:51:52 am »
It's 15 years old already? Lol

I play mostly Metal Assault nowadays.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:56:40 am by pinOi32 »
Pls use my amazing interface:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=27584

I WIN!!

WHY MY KARMA SUCK??

Offline Lucifer

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 04:27:10 am »
Still one of my all time favourite games, was a through and through fan of the HeXeR mod that ran on custom maps. Had a great community of players on there.

Offline DrUnKeN MaStEr

• Major(1)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 06:06:24 pm »
Came back 10 years later to see the forums still active. What a time to be alive.

Offline Mokkun

• Major(1)
  • Zz
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 06:50:12 pm »
Came back 10 years later to see the forums still active. What a time to be alive.

Welcome back, you came back at the right time. We got a lot of news in the last few days.

Offline Dankke

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 06:33:25 am »
Don't remember how i started it was like 10 years ago and i still play sometimes. A memorable moment is there still being players on the servers FeelsBadMan

Offline reckon

• Soldier
  • raccoon!
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »
I check in on Soldat sporadically to see how it's doing, I'm glad to see that it still exist.

First played Soldat in 05, 06 I believe and was only really active for about 5 years until life started accelerating.

I played this game with many close friends and made friends along the way and I'll always have those memories to look back on and smile. The tireless nights turned into mornings playing endless rounds of capture the flag or infiltration were some of my most cherished memories.

A member of the <3 clan, mainly known for Infiltration but we were pretty good players all around. I try to play from time to time but damn, Im really lost a feeling for this game. However Im glad to see that its still alive!
Swing low, sweet chariot!