Author Topic: Devlog update (2017-06-22) helloer's resignation, state of development  (Read 14009 times)

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
YupYup, a facebook page might just add few players every week.

There is an existing Soldat facebook page and it's quite popular actually.

Regarding Facebook page, is there any chance to get a spot to shine(or at least putting a link for group) for our little 50-member Knife Only Group of players?

Offline Hubiq

• Soldier
Re: Devlog update (2017-06-22) helloer's resignation, state of development
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 05:45:44 pm »
Any news?

Offline Mayhem

• Major(1)
  • 2005 - 2018
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 08:51:58 am »
Any news?

+ is there any way we can help you devs with realization of things you mentioned in the devlog update? Why can't we speed this process up just with gather people who has some free time and would like to help? Just write here what are you working on at this moment
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:53:38 am by Mayhem »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »
Well people are free to join the dev team and finish what helloer didn't. The issue is that people aren't that motivated.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Raged`

• Major(1)
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 05:03:03 pm »
Well people are free to join the dev team and finish what helloer didn't. The issue is that people aren't that motivated.
I dont really understand anything about coding or designing but i can happily  help with the weapon mode or Qol updates and i can find at least 2 more old school playesr to help just let me know

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »
From now on I'll take bigger care to keep everyone updated
[...]
More updates to follow soon.

So we should have a couple of devlogs this summer, right? Hopefully everythings works as planned.
Yeah
2 1/2 months of silence again. Not sure what I should think of that.

Being overly positive I guess there has been progress since you said: "At the moment and for the foreseeable future I am free to put a lot of work into the game weekly, which should allow us to catch up to speed quickly."
If that's true I'm not sure why you then would not create (tiny) posts of that progress to at least get some praises of your work.

Looks like the other scenario is the more realistic one: Lost motivation, no time, Soldat dead, bibabo...

And about giving back some hope? That's not funny. Not at all.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 04:24:24 pm »
Soldat dead, bibabo...

Its only dead once:

- everyone loses interest in the game (as in people stop posting in these threads nagging for updates)
- people stop playing it (various pubs are always full)
- community dies (everyones on discord nowadays)
- all the developers leave forever (there's still shoozza and falcon and some others, they're just not committing actively)

if you want an example of a dead project, look at qmail. no updates since late 90s and very few people using it
There are other worlds than these

Offline Petterkowski

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 04:18:08 am »
This is partly incorrect. If we're talking about active members who play the game on a daily basis, take part in the leagues and different events, provide feedback/soldat-related convos, and contribute to the community in many ways such as by being a playoff streamer or posting post-match summaries, most of them are still in irc. Unfortunately, the competitive scene and the lively general play has stuck in irc and that's where the Soldat hype flows. Discord consists of roughly 70 people(?), most of whom are objectively retired. Discord may just currently have the bigger amount of users in total, but it's more or less idle comparing to what's happening in irc. mIRC is outdated as fuck, but the simplest option we had 15 years ago to make a chat room was IRC. This dinosaur of a system existed since before some of us were born, probably, but we chose it because it was the only chat room we knew. There was one tiny feature, however, that laid the foundations of how we built our little Soldat community going forward. It started out in IRC but Discord would take it to new heights, i completely agree. There are some of you who have been using discord for about six months and i know, technical issues aside, it is so much better than team speak and irc. It also works when you join the network you are connected 24/7 even when your machine is turned off. So you never miss message from any channel, and that's a good alternative for BNC. I personally used IRC for maybe 17 years and i'm skeptic about discord but after couple of days i know i'll get use it because it's probably much better than IRC. I'm pretty sure most of the players think the same; However:

The problem is that the bigger part of competitve scene won't switch to discord until there's gather implementation within it. Probably the only one thing that keeps players using IRC is a gather system. Many are still gonna be using IRC for years to come i think, but it will be nice to have another program to use in conjunction. You could probably use the Discord api to write a program that passes the messages between both programs. I don't know how does that work, i do know though that helloer started some irc implementation within Discord. Perhaps someone can finish what he started. That would be a huge step towards progress if competitive scene moves to Discord. And if we have these things in there i don't think it would be a big deal to make them switch to Discord. And then the whole Discord community would start growing fast because high level/pro players are the lifeblood of games nowadays. The mass majority of people will follow the pro players/streamers to whichever game they go, regardless of if that game caters to them or not. People follow the hype.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:39:20 am by Petterkowski »

Once more into the fray...
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day...
Live and die on this day...

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 01:41:22 pm »
This is partly incorrect.

The problem is that the bigger part of competitve scene won't switch to discord until there's gather implementation within it. Probably the only one thing that keeps players using IRC is a gather system. Many are still gonna be using IRC for years to come i think, but it will be nice to have another program to use in conjunction. You could probably use the Discord api to write a program that passes the messages between both programs. I don't know how does that work, i do know though that helloer started some gather implementation in Discord. Perhaps someone can finish what he started. That would be a huge step towards progress if competitive scene moves to Discord. And if we have these things in there i don't think it would be a big deal to make them switch to Discord. And then the whole Discord community would start growing fast because high level/pro players are the lifeblood of games nowadays. The mass majority of people will follow the pro players/streamers to whichever game they go, regardless of if that game caters to them or not. People follow the hype.

Hi.

There's currently a gather bot in the works @ discord.

check my screenshots

Offline Mayhem

• Major(1)
  • 2005 - 2018
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 11:08:08 am »
Yeeeaah great news. DutchFlame, when can we expect an official opening of soldat gather on discord? Is this going to be finshed soon?

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 02:52:24 pm »
Yeeeaah great news. DutchFlame, when can we expect an official opening of soldat gather on discord? Is this going to be finshed soon?

Hi Mayhem,

The second I have information I will inform you about it here.
XvayS is working on it in his spare time.

Stay put..

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 03:20:33 pm »
update regarding discord's gather development:

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 01:53:03 pm »
Seeing posts like this make me feel some type of way for not picking up computer science in high school. Do you have an ETA of when the beta for 1.8 will be released for testing? Pretty ecstatic to try it out.

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 06:52:44 pm »
Seeing posts like this make me feel some type of way for not picking up computer science in high school. Do you have an ETA of when the beta for 1.8 will be released for testing? Pretty ecstatic to try it out.

ETA is: it's done when it's done.
I suggest you sticking up into Discord channel time to time, some admins/devs/whateverwhoisinlead can notice your kind call of helping them.