Author Topic: Petition to MM: Make Soldat Open Source  (Read 9027 times)

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
Re: Petition to MM: Make Soldat Open Source
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 09:44:52 am »
At the moment, we have reached 305 people amount who have signed the petition. Woah!  :o

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 04:13:27 pm »
Hey everyone here's my decision.
I wholeheartedly consider this petition and the need for open sourcing Soldat. I've spoken with Shoozza, Helloer and other people outside of the community for input.
I've decided to open source Soldat *after* the Steam release.

The main arguments for not doing this now are:
1. The first priority is to get people back to playing the game. This is what the game is for and we need to revive a regular playerbase. This is why we are releasing the game for free on Steam. Anything that might hurt this launch will have to wait.
2. Sadly open source might hurt the game. Simply open sourcing the game DOES NOT guarantee that new developers will come and build something (and we need them when new cheats arrive). The only way to get a higher chance of people getting involved in maintaining Soldat, building official branch/forks and anti-cheat protection systems is... getting more players and more attention. Hence Steam release is priority.
After that open source.
I hope we can all understand my decision and why I am very careful here. Still, anyone is welcome on the dev team and can contribute to the game before the source is open.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:34:22 am by Michal Marcinkowski »

Offline Guil TheDamned

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 10:43:21 pm »
I register back to forums just to say 1 thing.

Ty MM!

This is your intellectual property and you are not forced to go open source at all, but my opinion is that it will help the game or get a better clone of.

Finally, we will have a chance to see someone to create better AI. Before people can go online and feel confident, they should have decent AI to practice with and honestly (no offense), Soldat AI has always been bad and the "bot management" in map editor is almost non-existent.

As soon it will go open source, I will have a look for sure. I am not the best at all for coding but I'll give a try. Main interest for me atm is better AI and new polygons type (such as underwater).

I stopped playing soldat for a long time (started at first public version and stopped at 1.5'ish) because of lack of visual/technical improvements (due to the 20mb file limit you were imposing yourself and for people with slow internet). Version 1.7 gave me some hope back to this game with new visual update and performance update.  Let see what will happen from open source release, pretty excited here.

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 05:55:32 am »
While open source doesn't guarantee that someone will work more, keeping as it as is also doesn't not guratees anything.

If Soldat doesn't generate income for its developers ....what gives.. game like Ace of space while opensource for years didn't die from cheaters.

You still can do official releases to steam while open source...right..

If you want that something changes you need to fuck shit up! Live like you die!

No cost is too great!

Offline Mokkun

• Major(1)
  • Zz
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 06:35:06 am »
While open source doesn't guarantee that someone will work more, keeping as it as is also doesn't not guratees anything.

If Soldat doesn't generate income for its developers ....what gives.. game like Ace of space while opensource for years didn't die from cheaters.

You still can do official releases to steam while open source...right..

If you want that something changes you need to fuck shit up! Live like you die!

No cost is too great!

I think you're mixing up things here, the game you're talking about is Ace of Spades, which was never open source. An open source client was made named "Open Spades" which is compatible with Ace of Spades 0.75, and this is just a client. The server side is still closed source so what you're saying is half true.

The cheating part doesn't always depends on if the game is open sourced or not, it depends a lot on how the game was programmed, Soldat has always struggled with cheaters, Ace of Spades not so much.

It is true that having the source code of a game makes cheats easier because instead of trying to make a cheat with trial and error, you just look at flaws inside the code of the game.

My concern about open source is more about a community split and people that don't agree with each other making their own fork.

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 07:02:05 am »

Every word I say is true.
Yes, doesn't matter is or isn't Open source for cheats.

Because when we see developers doesn't agree with each other that's not concern us at all.. ....

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 05:35:59 am »
Just one more thing. I wrote that we are aiming at the first quarter of 2018. But please take this date very roughly. This isn't so easy and we have to be sure we do this right. So we'll do it when we're confident as soon as possible.

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 09:22:30 am »
I would like to look into the soldat code and add more features  tactiveplayer read/write. And new functions example on playershoot a more more

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 09:46:36 am »
You need to restore the weapon movement system from 1.5 Then the concentration in the air was not effective and barrett dont be op...
And restore move player system from 1.5 plese play on 1.5 version and play now move player system is very different and bad... exhunter create this for fucking climb server...
Restore weaponmod from 1.5, why? Ak is good barrett is good aug dont be op soccom be good hk be good.

The values given above are approximate values. Measured in the time of day, hours 3-10 european time.

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 02:37:17 pm »
will be Soldat-Zombie Soucre (Falcon), Soldat-Trenchwar Soucre(dominik), Soldat-DayzMod (I tried to do the script but without the graphics it would be hopeless), Soldat-Creators Soucre(all creators they will try to make these games more modular)