Author Topic: Devlog update (2017-10-08) poll, soldat banner, background discussions..  (Read 13200 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Hello everyone,

this week there was a lot background discussion, and less visible development.

Last week you asked if there we will see Soldat banner adds in Butcher and KAG.
I talked with the devs about it - At least for KAG there will be a banner for Soldat and L[one]R is thankfully helping with it.

I couldn't convince Monsteri to join the team again (for now) to continue his work on 1.8.
This means the graphics remake is currently uncertain. I briefly talked with L[one]R (as he was open to help) about it but it's a huge undertaking to say the least.

There is some behind the scenes stuff with other devs happening now.
I sadly cannot talk about (yet) but wanted to let you know that it requires time on other peoples and my part (and it certainly is important to soldat).

Last but not least there is a poll on what you want to see in 1.7.2, so go vote! There are quite a few unrealistic things in there so I'll have to filter them out later (they can be considered after 1.7.2 has been released or as a general hint where the development should head next).

And that's it for today. See you next week.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Mayhem

• Major(1)
  • 2005 - 2018

Offline ginn

• Camper
Re: Devlog update (2017-10-08) poll, soldat banner, background discussions..
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:30:49 am »
Guess it was abandoned again.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:41:46 am »
I couldn't convince Monsteri to join the team again (for now) to continue his work on 1.8.
This means the graphics remake is currently uncertain. I briefly talked with L[one]R (as he was open to help) about it but it's a huge undertaking to say the least.
If you really think about getting new players, graphic should be in top5 things to do before putting it on steam. If few people like it or not. Its not even about whole overhaul but unification and polishing it.
And because of that I seriously dont see reason why to put it all in one man shoulder. What is stopping you from separating this problem to categories/smaller parts, creating unified descriptions and tips/examples for people, and look for help not only on forum but all around internet, because I hope you realize that Internet is not ending on Soldat forum... :]
There are lots of places where people ask/offer help(eg. gamedev.net) and I will not believe than no one have friend who will do some small work for this project.
Of course you could also just post list of what need to be done with descriptions/examples and just ask people on forum to make it, and I would bet my both hands that you would have bunch of work made already and just pick what you like, but for past years you literally F up it, so now you cant even do that because no one is here anymore... Still you can ask around on dev sites and friends of friends if they would do smaller jobs for free. all you need is list of what you need short descriptions/tips/examples and people will be happy to help because every new graphic artist would like to have game project in their portfolio. Especially if its small job that doesnt need lots of time. Its a matter of separating everything to the list/categories.

I sadly cannot talk about (yet) but wanted to let you know that it requires time on other peoples and my part (and it certainly is important to soldat).
And here we go again... Soldat is AAA game and everything need to be kept in secret. What is the point of that? Even if those are just uncertain plans, pure ideas in head. Put it on public and maybe someone could help with it or make better suggestions. Its not like you will lost ultra-mega secret that you kept hidden from competition... You should seriously think about it while there still people here(I can just guess that most of people check forum but just dont login, because there is no reason, its not like no one check soldat anymore, but people do it less often every month).

See you next week.

We hope it will not be Falcon style week :]

Offline Mayhem

• Major(1)
  • 2005 - 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 02:11:21 pm »
Of course you could also just post list of what need to be done with descriptions/examples and just ask people on forum to make it, and I would bet my both hands that you would have bunch of work made already and just pick what you like

Yeah, I would like to try it and help this game in that way. Post this list and show few examples. Some people (like me) who just like draw in free time would help for sure. It's always better than nothing.

Offline CrasheR

• Major(1)
  • I'm The Law!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 06:15:45 pm »
Of course you could also just post list of what need to be done with descriptions/examples and just ask people on forum to make it, and I would bet my both hands that you would have bunch of work made already and just pick what you like

Yeah, I would like to try it and help this game in that way. Post this list and show few examples. Some people (like me) who just like draw in free time would help for sure. It's always better than nothing.

Yes, of course, I would like to help this game just because I love it, i'm an Animator, Designer, if you guys need and want some help just ask me.
I'm The Law!

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »
shooooozzaa help is offered at your feet right here!!

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 01:52:15 pm »
Why do not you take akinaro remake? They require a slight adjustment from the front and back scenery

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 11:59:13 am »
Why do not you take akinaro remake? They require a slight adjustment from the front and back scenery

1. Because they suck.
2. Because they where made just for fun and to prove point that Soldat can look good.
3. Because I deleted all soldat related graphic long time ago.
4. Because I dont agree to use it, even if 90% of assets used on them where graphic from Soldat it self.

But mostly I had different idea of style for Soldat, that dont fit to what Monsteri made so far(he worked on unification of Soldat to more cartoon'ish look) even if Im not fan of that, his work so far was damn nice and putting anything different would make game unbalanced in terms of look.

Offline CrasheR

• Major(1)
  • I'm The Law!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 05:08:50 pm »

1. Because they suck.
2. Because they where made just for fun and to prove point that Soldat can look good.
4. Because I dont agree to use it, even if 90% of assets used on them where graphic from Soldat it self.

But mostly I had different idea of style for Soldat, that dont fit to what Monsteri made so far(he worked on unification of Soldat to more cartoon'ish look) even if Im not fan of that, his work so far was damn nice and putting anything different would make game unbalanced in terms of look.

Akinaro what kind of "remake" you did? Do you have some images?
I'm The Law!

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:43:29 am »

1. Because they suck.

Akinaro what kind of "remake" you did? Do you have some images?

Example:

I totally do not like the new style of graphics. And adds more resoultion mouse stopped working. The mouse does not move smoothly and has strong jumps of motion.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 01:44:15 pm »
Holly crap Dominik you chose literally the WORST map I maid -_-

As for my remakes, I deleted everything beside screenshots that I weirdly still have on Gdrive, so if want to check them look here: https://goo.gl/pThf9L

Offline CrasheR

• Major(1)
  • I'm The Law!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 03:48:00 pm »

As for my remakes, I deleted everything beside screenshots that I weirdly still have on Gdrive, so if want to check them look here: https://goo.gl/pThf9L

ohh nice remakes Akinaro really good, it's a pitty that they aren't used in actual soldat versions.
I'm The Law!

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 02:07:47 am »

[fist] Cool remakes: Guardian, KotB (Bridge), MFM2, Blox, Bunker
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 06:02:25 am »
Any updates?
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 04:21:11 am »
rip in peace

No, it's not.

We are actively discussing everything in Discord these days. If you guys want to get some logs, I can talk to Shoozza personally and prepare short infos for you.

Offline Toxic Avenger

• Major
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 06:36:30 am »
Focus on graphics iz like pearls before swine.

What's wrong with you who think that what Soldat needs are better graphics. It'll change nothing except maybe in adding performance issues for some players.
This game is not about the graphics and has never been (..and will never be).
Even if all effort were put in the gfx it could never be such a game.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:16 am »
Focus on graphics iz like pearls before swine.

What's wrong with you who think that what Soldat needs are better graphics. It'll change nothing except maybe in adding performance issues for some players.
This game is not about the graphics and has never been (..and will never be).
Even if all effort were put in the gfx it could never be such a game.

This is a public game, so look at it in WIDER PERSPECTIVE THAT YOUR OWN NOSE.
Soldat is dying/is dead because people like you who totally dont get it that game need to evolve, it need to gather players all the time, if you dont get new players you end in situation like we have right now: we have just bunch of old morons who dont want to touch the game because it remind them "good old days".

And why graphic? Because of three things:
1. Soldat never was nice looking game. It was always ugly and even in his best years, lots of people didnt play it because it was just mess.
2. If you want to get new players, especially from Steam, you need to present them something. Today players have millions of games they dont need stick to just one, most of them rate game by its look. First 30 second of gameplay or screenshots decide if he play it or not.
Gameplay? Balance? This come later when player get used to controls and game rules.
3. Graphic is most easiest think that you can fix right now. All you need is proper style balance and good looking maps and effects.

Of course Soldat in current stage is broken in lots of way, not only in graphic, sometimes its broken even in most important aspect of gameplay, but all games have such problems, but they cover it with  fun or graphic. Soldat is hard game and to get proper fun you need time, and in that time you will see ugly graphic and menu straight from 1998. Average player on Steam was not even born in that time.

If you aiming high you need to have high standards, Soldat, if will hit the Steam, and lets just pray that it will not be in time as MM suggested because it will be suicide, It will need to compete with LOTS of casual 2d or even 3d games that have better marketing and know how to hit the player spot to make him install game. Soldat dont have it. It actually dont have anything beside nice gameplay that sadly need time to appreciate it.

You can cry that someone change look of your precious game, but from marketing/game perspective, its better to loose one whining player and get 10 new ones because of those changes.

rip in peace

No, it's not.

We are actively discussing everything in Discord these days. If you guys want to get some logs, I can talk to Shoozza personally and prepare short infos for you.

So its so damn hard to spend literally one or two minutes to write what is going on ON OFFICIAL GAME FORUM?
If you cant managed to keep proper record and informations on game, I dont want to know how you work on game...
Especially when Shoozza, as main dev, ensured that he will keep everyone updated, quote from month ago: "See you next week."
You could literally spend that month counting comas in code, or draw boobs on maps, its not so hard to write about it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:54:04 am by Akinaro »