Soldat Talk > General Discussions

Top priorities before Steam release:

(1/9) > >>

miketh2005:
A fun and intuitive tutorial for newbies to learn the basics. Animations for loading LAW / Barrett / knife throw might help newbies realize you need to hold these weapons down. Newbies should realize throwing knife is the same button as dropping your weapon. Etc.

GUI needs to be more intuitive for newbies. I remember when I first started I didn't even know there was multiplayer in this game. Trust me, newbies are really dumb. Single player should be off and to the side. No one plays that or wants to play that. I was so confused why this game was rates so highly by GameStop when I thought all the game had was the single player bots.

Banners for the forums and Discord is imperative in order to keep a player base.

I would offer some of the features for registered players to those who enter their email for a Transhuman Design account. Any marketer will tell you that getting a user's email is the #1 priority so that you can keep in touch and they can return as a player when they see new features released / new events happening. At least it will be optional which is more than can say for most free games.

What else do you think?

darDar:

--- Quote from: miketh2005 on December 23, 2017, 05:01:30 am ---A fun and intuitive tutorial for newbies to learn the basics. Animations for loading LAW / Barrett / knife throw might help newbies realize you need to hold these weapons down. Newbies should realize throwing knife is the same button as dropping your weapon. Etc.

GUI needs to be more intuitive for newbies. I remember when I first started I didn't even know there was multiplayer in this game. Trust me, newbies are really dumb. Single player should be off and to the side. No one plays that or wants to play that. I was so confused why this game was rates so highly by GameStop when I thought all the game had was the single player bots.

Banners for the forums and Discord is imperative in order to keep a player base.

I would offer some of the features for registered players to those who enter their email for a Transhuman Design account. Any marketer will tell you that getting a user's email is the #1 priority so that you can keep in touch and they can return as a player when they see new features released / new events happening. At least it will be optional which is more than can say for most free games.

What else do you think?

--- End quote ---

You're a wise man and everything you said is pretty much correct and high priority..

However, that has been addressed to the devs and our " "publisher" " dozens of times for a long time without an actual result.

Shoozza:
@Dardar it would be preferred you don't fill the thread with bad mood but contribute to it instead.

@miketh2005:
Tutorial: A tutorial isn't a small task. Would be easier if clientserver could use scripting. I personally only enjoy tutorials if they are optional and fun and some tutorials feel like work. There is more discussion necessary if we want to make a good one. Not against it but are you sure for 1.7.2?

GUI: In the next version the join game tab will be shown after you click on OK, the serverlist request starts automatically and will sort by player count. That should help a bit until there is a better GUI.
I'm not sure i understand what you mean with "off and to the side" for the "Start game" tab and for the current GUI I'm not sure where I would even put it. Can you explain or is the go to Join Game tab after Profile Selection fixing this?

Banners: If I get my hands on a good forums banner I'll add it. (BTW There is a link to the forums on the exit tab but probably too stealthy for anyone to notice)
I'll add a discord link when it's official and I have a banner for it.

Email: We already have email addresses from people who register on the forums but we rarely use it. I'll talk with the admins about it (I think we need a way for people to opt out for specific news/events things before we use it more). That said updates like discord shows them could be done without email :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Top priorities
- Fix serve bugs (flood exploits, etc)
- Make soldat work easier to work with full directory updates for steam updates
-- Save non default install data (mods, personal settings, downloads etc) in %appdata% (or ./config for portable mode)
-- Update the patch installer to migrate your settings (alternatively skip that and require clean install :/)
-- Update the full installer to work with the new setup.
-- Update config so save settings in the %appdata% or ./config folder

- Add missing script core changes already in unofficial server releases

- Implement chatmod (could be optional I guess)

..and more optional things here.

As for non code related things needed for Steam:
Banners
Thumbnails
Screenshots
Trailer(s)!!

Did I forget something?

soldat-game:
Non sense Shoozza priority

miketh2005:

--- Quote from: Shoozza on December 23, 2017, 04:11:26 pm ---@Dardar it would be preferred you don't fill the thread with bad mood but contribute to it instead.

@miketh2005:
Tutorial: A tutorial isn't a small task. Would be easier if clientserver could use scripting. I personally only enjoy tutorials if they are optional and fun and some tutorials feel like work. There is more discussion necessary if we want to make a good one. Not against it but are you sure for 1.7.2?

GUI: In the next version the join game tab will be shown after you click on OK, the serverlist request starts automatically and will sort by player count. That should help a bit until there is a better GUI.
I'm not sure i understand what you mean with "off and to the side" for the "Start game" tab and for the current GUI I'm not sure where I would even put it. Can you explain or is the go to Join Game tab after Profile Selection fixing this?

Banners: If I get my hands on a good forums banner I'll add it. (BTW There is a link to the forums on the exit tab but probably too stealthy for anyone to notice)
I'll add a discord link when it's official and I have a banner for it.

Email: We already have email addresses from people who register on the forums but we rarely use it. I'll talk with the admins about it (I think we need a way for people to opt out for specific news/events things before we use it more). That said updates like discord shows them could be done without email :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Top priorities
- Fix serve bugs (flood exploits, etc)
- Make soldat work easier to work with full directory updates for steam updates
-- Save non default install data (mods, personal settings, downloads etc) in %appdata% (or ./config for portable mode)
-- Update the patch installer to migrate your settings (alternatively skip that and require clean install :/)
-- Update the full installer to work with the new setup.
-- Update config so save settings in the %appdata% or ./config folder

- Add missing script core changes already in unofficial server releases

- Implement chatmod (could be optional I guess)

..and more optional things here.

As for non code related things needed for Steam:
Banners
Thumbnails
Screenshots
Trailer(s)!!

Did I forget something?

--- End quote ---

Do you think we will have enough servers for release? Can there be official servers queued up if needed?

Why was queuing for a server removed? That can shed players as well, as they lose interest waiting for a server to open.

I've never heard of bunny hopping in a game in order to run before or after Soldat. I definitely feel these things need explained especially for this generation of gamers. Actually, I don't think we need a tutorial, tooltips would work a lot better and get players right into playing the game. I think you can code it so that it see how much the player has learned and what they need to learn. E.g. If they aren't moving, a tooltip for controls. If they are not bunny hopping, a tool tip for that. For they aren't using jets, a tool tip for that. If they aren't using grenades, they may need a reminder. If they aren't holding in for Barretta/LAW, etc. preferably with a picture or animation (if someone wants to volunteer, or you can lift from another game) for the button. If there's one thing I've learned about players, they DO NOT like to read.

I've been wanting tooltips for scripting since forever. If you can't add that, at least use the on screen text scripts use, but I think proper tooltips would stand out and be more clear. To be less annoying they can go away once the action is performed besides being able to be closed manually.

I also worry about new players joining unconventional servers. If they join a Climb server, they would be wholly confused, think "what a weird game, not as described" and never look back. What are your ideas for this?

Can you sanction certain stable newbie-friendly servers and put them at the top of the server list for newbies? Perhaps highlight them like KAG does, and add a tooltip for this as well?

As for the GUI, yes, that would fix things. I think you should change "Start Game" to "Solo" and "Join Game" to "Multiplayer" exactly like KAG. "Start Game" would definitely be confusing to new players. You can add a banner that says, "Start an simple, unstructured game against bots by yourself," or something at the top of the menu so people don't think there's a story mode or anything.

I don't think these are "priorities if we can get to it before Steam release", I think they are absolutely needed for release or you risk shedding the new players you've captured forever. I'm hoping this can give Soldat a new lease on life, and these new players will turn into those who will pay devs for their work to make Soldat great again.

Also, what about the Early Access idea? Perhaps 1.7.2 can be for Early Access with everything you're planning to do now, and 1.8 can be the actual Steam Launch, with good graphical, scripting, and net code improvements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version