Author Topic: Top priorities before Steam release:  (Read 11256 times)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
Re: Top priorities before Steam release:
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 09:40:21 pm »
You can pick a game mode. CTF should be selected by default.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 11:33:37 pm »
As I've said many times.

One of the top priority has to be med/nade kit respawning, it needs to be restored to how it was before.
Copy the code from say 1.4.2 (I don't remember what version it got changed), and then rework to to still do it's thing, but with neater coding.

Skoskav or somebody "fixed" how they spawned. What he said was that the nade/med kit "would spawn on players" etc. I don't think he understood what was happening, but the spawn/mid kit too into account of the players team when spawning.
After the fix, a blue team player picking up a nade/mid kit from the blue team side will transfer it to the next "spawn node", even if that means the spawn node is at the opponents side.

The effects of this is quite drastically affecting strategy in the game, since there's no way of hoarding nades/meds to make opponents attacks weaker. There's also no point in stealing nade/med kits, because they'll just go over to opponents side anyway.
Maps like Division, it was especially important for the low player to throw a nade when going low, to pick up 2x nade packs to transfer them to the base for the up players to grab once they respawn. It was also important to steal the opponents low nades for your own, since that drastically decreased the opponents attacking power.
Now on Division? If you try to transfer the nades from low they'll simply go over to the opponents side.

Fixing the gameplay should be a top priority. If the game does not play well then nobody will play it. Old players will continue to leave, and not look back. In the case a new player wants to get "serious" with soldat (gathers, and improving their skill), they'll find there's practically no depth to soldat other than "aiming" with terrible aiming RNG.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:55:05 am by ginn »

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 01:33:47 am »
As I've said many times.

One of the top priority has to be med/nade kit respawning, it needs to be restored to how it was before.
Copy the code from say 1.4.2 (I don't remember what version it got changed), and then rework to to still do it's thing, but with neater coding.

Skoskav or somebody "fixed" how they spawned. What he said was that the nade/med kit "would spawn on players" etc. I don't think he understood what was happening, but the spawn/mid kit too into account of the players team when spawning.
After the fix, a blue team player picking up a nade/mid kit from the blue team side will transfer it to the next "spawn node", even if that means the spawn node is at the opponents side.

The effects of this is quite drastically affecting strategy in the game, since there's no way of hoarding nades/meds to make opponents attacks weaker. There's also no point in stealing nade/med kits, because they'll just go over to opponents side anyway.
Maps like Division, it was especially important for the low player to throw a nade when going low, to pick up 2x nade packs to transfer them to the base for the up players to grab once they respawn. It was also important to steal the opponents low nades for your own, since that drastically decreased the opponents attacking power.
Now on Division? If you try to transfer the nades from low they'll simply go over to the opponents side.

Fixing the gameplay should be a top priority. If the game does not play well then nobody will play it. Old players will continue to leave, and not look back. In the case a new player wants to get "serious" with soldat (gathers, and improving their skill), they'll find there's practically no depth to soldat other than "aiming" with terrible aiming RNG.

Agreed. I didn't realize this changed, but if that's true it needs to be fixed. I remember having fun stealing nades from the other team to give to my team. Maybe some Dev didn't like how you could basically remove all nades from the other team's side if you camped there long enough? But that's part of the strategy and rewards aggressive play.

@Shoozza Talk with MM, but I recommend a funding campaign to fund features for the game. As long as MM or someone he trusts is in charge of how the money is spent, I would donate. If people want the features, they will donate, maybe even just a dollar every month from their paycheck. MM can pay developers to incorporate things in the game.

What I would like is a matchmaking system / some kind of gather / league / clan system + leaderboards. Popular mobile games have this, which is unlocked after you play for so long. You join a clan at your appropriate skill level, and have clan battles against other clans in your skill level, and the better you do, you increase your ranking and can join better clans. That would be fun and add a lot of spice, and depth to this game. This is what people look for in a game they will dedicate a lot of time into and they will remain active players.

Make it so that you pay to create a new clan, and that money can go towards development, sponsoring tournaments with cash prizes, etc.

This game has the potential to be an eSport if you believe in it and put in the work.

Just adding a ranking system like Clash Royale can keep players. You just need to dangle that carrot in front of players in order to keep them playing. They will feel like they are actually progressing in the game, ever so slightly, instead of just pissing in the wind, wasting their life away.

It's just like life. Life would be pretty boring if you're already the richest, most famous, smartest, most respected and moral person on Earth and knew everything there is to know about the universe. In actuality, we always have something to work towards.

Shoozza, I know it can be hard to keep priorities straight and work on the things that need to be worked on first, whatever will have the biggest impact on the game, but I really believe all of the things in this thread are top priorities and will have the biggest impact on keeping all of these new players entering the game. There's more that can be worked on, but there's diminishing returns in those things.

There's a reason why a clan system is in every popular mobile game. It works to keep players. It will have a huge impact in keeping these new players, I guarantee you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:44:46 am by miketh2005 »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 12:40:40 am »
Another thing that needs high priority is the windows explorer bug.

I believe it's when the game changes map, and you alt-tab back into the game, you won't be able to alt tab and click on anything anymore. Basically you need to reboot your PC because there's no way to kill explorer.exe and restart it, since you can't even navigate the task manager.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 07:36:44 am »

The kits are working like this nowadays? SERIOUSLY?
 :o :o :o

I've played less than 20 times after 2012 (none gather/scrim), I just couldn't tell the difference.
Looks like terrible, this changes everything.
We (brazilian national team) picked IceBeam all the time on SWC and we barely lose against any team and the kit scheme was part of our greatness in this map. [memories]
Damn, this is bad!

2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline 15th_account

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 06:34:31 pm »

You had me confused when you mentioned 1.4.2, as the kits' spawn logic has been changed two times from what I recall. I think the change you dislike is from 1.6.9. This is how the nade/medkits have spawned throughout time, and generally how that affected competitive CTF:

Before ~1.4.2 (I don't remember the exact version either)
You consuming a kit would re-spawn the kit anywhere randomly among your team's designated nade/medkit spawn points. There were some points of contention due to this:
1. Kits would over time pile up in the back of each team's base on many maps, as the kits nearer the middle of the map were easier/faster to grab.
2. Flaggers would park themselves on the pile of medkits in the back of their base to make themselves harder to kill.
3. Shooting at someone defending a pile of their team's medkits (often the flagger) would create a frustrating rain of medkits falling down on them. This (along with point 2) made 1-hit kill weapons better than usual for hunting flaggers.
4. Someone entering an enemy base could quickly "steal" a lot of the enemy's kits by re-spawning them into their own base.
5. Defending teams (especially when they were leading with a few minutes to go) would bog down the game by camping at their kits' spawn points, continuously spamming nades along the alt. route and healing themselves.

Not all of these issues were equally frustrating though, and stealing from the enemy could partially combat the other points.

~1.4.2 to 1.6.8
Same as before, except that the kits' spawn would never be the same twice in a row. This meant that:
3. Issue solved (unless the kit spawns were heavily clumped).
5. Somewhat mitigated as defenders more often had to move around, and sometimes outside their base.

Since 1.6.9 (I think ExHunter made this change)
Consumed kits can now re-spawn anywhere, except that the kits' spawn would never be the same twice in a row. This is around the time I became an inactive fart, so I don't have much of an opinion how this works. I can only speculate:
4. Issue solved.
5. Issue solved.
6. A new issue would be that there's not much of a meta-game with the kit spawning any more.

One idea I'm throwing out here is to go back to the behavior before 1.6.9, then tweaking some maps to possibly move a few med and nade spawns from the back of the bases towards the middle of the map, or just adding extra ones in the middle.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 08:39:26 pm »

You had me confused when you mentioned 1.4.2, as the kits' spawn logic has been changed two times from what I recall. I think the change you dislike is from 1.6.9. This is how the nade/medkits have spawned throughout time, and generally how that affected competitive CTF:

Before ~1.4.2 (I don't remember the exact version either)
You consuming a kit would re-spawn the kit anywhere randomly among your team's designated nade/medkit spawn points. There were some points of contention due to this:
1. Kits would over time pile up in the back of each team's base on many maps, as the kits nearer the middle of the map were easier/faster to grab.
2. Flaggers would park themselves on the pile of medkits in the back of their base to make themselves harder to kill.
3. Shooting at someone defending a pile of their team's medkits (often the flagger) would create a frustrating rain of medkits falling down on them. This (along with point 2) made 1-hit kill weapons better than usual for hunting flaggers.
4. Someone entering an enemy base could quickly "steal" a lot of the enemy's kits by re-spawning them into their own base.
5. Defending teams (especially when they were leading with a few minutes to go) would bog down the game by camping at their kits' spawn points, continuously spamming nades along the alt. route and healing themselves.

Not all of these issues were equally frustrating though, and stealing from the enemy could partially combat the other points.

~1.4.2 to 1.6.8
Same as before, except that the kits' spawn would never be the same twice in a row. This meant that:
3. Issue solved (unless the kit spawns were heavily clumped).
5. Somewhat mitigated as defenders more often had to move around, and sometimes outside their base.

Since 1.6.9 (I think ExHunter made this change)
Consumed kits can now re-spawn anywhere, except that the kits' spawn would never be the same twice in a row. This is around the time I became an inactive fart, so I don't have much of an opinion how this works. I can only speculate:
4. Issue solved.
5. Issue solved.
6. A new issue would be that there's not much of a meta-game with the kit spawning any more.

One idea I'm throwing out here is to go back to the behavior before 1.6.9, then tweaking some maps to possibly move a few med and nade spawns from the back of the bases towards the middle of the map, or just adding extra ones in the middle.
"issue" 4 is only partially solved. Say if there's 4 total spawn points, 2 on each side. Attempting to steal a nade kit from the opponent would mean there's a 66% chance that it goes to the opponent.
It doesn't appear to be random though, it seem to follow it's "spawn order" or something like that. As from some places I rarely ever see a kit spawn on my own side, while other times it's much more likely.
For some reason, on dropdown, blue team always completely runs out of nade kits, so they get an even further disadvantage.

"issue" 5 was already sort of fixed. At least on ctf_Death2, if you took the med kits too often they'd go to the other side, or spawn in different places (like bottom, or mid tunnel).
Issue 6 is pretty big one, since at least some clans put in a lot of thought on how to handle nades/meds.

I believe "~1.4.2 to 1.6.8"-fix solved the issues that were present (I wasn't a good realistic player by then, or at least was just a grunt/muscle, so I can't say much about before the first fix). It really should be reverted back to how it worked back then.

As for med kit spam issues... It's good that 1-hit kill weapons see any use at all, that there is a place for them. Other than that, there's also med-kit cool down, that for some reason, while I can't grab 2 kits in quick succession, some players are able to grab however many they want in a quick succession.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »
Fix the demo recorder, I can't believe it's been broken for this long.
When you have auto demo on it saves EVERY SINGLE MAP. It should only save the replay up to the point if you press F8, otherwise it should purge the recording.

I want 2 clips, from the same map... But I have 216 demos, 317mb. I've only pressed F8 twice during that time.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 01:12:50 pm »
When you have auto demo on it saves EVERY SINGLE MAP. It should only save the replay up to the point if you press F8, otherwise it should purge the recording.

I want 2 clips, from the same map... But I have 216 demos, 317mb. I've only pressed F8 twice during that time.
Autodemo off. press f8. what happens?

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 02:54:00 pm »
You've just started recording after the epic moment ended? :o

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »
You've just started recording after the epic moment ended? :o
makes sense. Was the ''record last x minutes'' thing removed some time? You could use shadowplay if you have nvidia gfx card

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 06:52:35 pm »

https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43363.0

agreed on that, demo recording & play is really bad currently..
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 02:53:26 am »

https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43363.0

agreed on that, demo recording & play is really bad currently..
Almost 4 years later... Nothing.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 09:05:00 am »
Is there an option to start Soldat at the end of the installer or is there just an option to start Soldat Config? I definitely think an option to start Soldat should be checked by default.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:08:22 am by miketh2005 »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 12:31:34 pm »
Demo should also record the cursor. It would increase the file size, but who cares nowadays? Even if it doubles the size, still a small file.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Ygrek Starmagedon

• Soldier
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 03:24:12 pm »
MM said he gonna post some official info about that trailer but we're still waiting...

Offline Sh07gaN

• Soldier
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 11:52:22 am »
Dead game

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:00 am »
Dead game
True 68 servers / 20 players. 1.7+ version server and soldat client have virus. Hidden dev functions for tracking :>

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 12:37:02 pm »
True 68 servers / 20 players. 1.7+ version server and soldat client have virus. Hidden dev functions for tracking :>

The soldat client does not report back statistics to the soldat lobby. Every few seconds (unless turned off in soldat.ini) the soldat server will report its current status to the lobby, including player count, which is how that stat is calculated. This is the way Soldat has always worked since day one so many years ago.

There is no virus or surprise tracking functionality.
There are other worlds than these

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 04:03:37 pm »

The soldat client does not report back statistics to the soldat lobby. Every few seconds (unless turned off in soldat.ini) the soldat server will report its current status to the lobby, including player count, which is how that stat is calculated. This is the way Soldat has always worked since day one so many years ago.

There is no virus or surprise tracking functionality.
Client soldat send to server metadata what player using software.
Soldat uses illegall libraries :)
Soldat server have virus type idp.generic.
Soldat server exceeds the disk usage rights, install trojan, try kill disc or what? (I do not allow config.ini)
Devs and the previous devs use illegal non-public versions of the software.
Soldat make up old hackers is enough proof.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:05:19 pm by soldat-game »