Author Topic: Dear MM  (Read 34415 times)

Offline ginn

• Camper
Re: Dear MM
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 09:06:44 am »
Can someone that actually have knowladge about Soldat code explain what is so hard in fixing the netcode so we would experience hit's occasionaly?
From a small amount of knowledge how soldat hit detection works, obtained from secret source. Drawing lines instead of x amount of circle collides along the bullet path each frame could maybe fix some hit registration. Maybe some sync issues as well.

As an example with nades.
A player jumps onto a nade, and locally registers the hit, so the "boost" is applied. Once the server registers the hit, it seems like it asks the hurt clients position to then calculate the damage. But since the client has since moved a fair bit away from the original explosion, the damage is reduced, or possibly completely neglected.
This however is just pure speculation, conclusions I've drawn from how eats are repeatable. I think syncing up some sort of delta round time would help with eats to some degree.

I have no idea how you can get boosted by something that didn't connect on your own screen. Also, I don't really know programming, only the very basics (1 course in visual basic, 2 or 3 non-standard courses in C# baby game development; i.e direct focus on object oriented programming and game development... 10 years ago).

However he was able to work with Ginn to work out new weapon mode that will be better than one we have now.
Only thing he's listened to me about is lower bullet damage. Other cooperation is more or less non-existent, other than just some discussion about issues with the game and in conern of the wm we've found.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:22:27 am by ginn »

Offline sneakyg

• Major
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2018, 03:48:10 pm »
Make Soldat Great Again

Offline verbeia

• Major(1)
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 08:40:48 pm »
Nah dardar is lying who that insults you and MM they are cancer of the community.Im deeply sorry for them.Akinaro i dont even saw him on gathers i dont even know who is he just talks about he is something also coconut or other guys are inactive and talking bullshit.We understand you and we think things will be better with time.Look at them they dont even know what you meant about ''0.01%'' such a brainless guys.Some of them also ex hackers dont give a fuck about this guys MM is right just do your job without checking this stupid people around like they are your boss or smthelse
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:43:23 pm by verbeia »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2018, 04:10:30 am »
You are one of that cancer person who judge people by amount of post on forum or amount of gather plays... This is actually one of reason why Soldat is in bad shape because of people like you.

I dont need to play gathers every day and use the same nick to brag about stats to say what I see and think.
I dont need to be on this forum for 10 years to say what I see and think.
I dont need to know or even like most of people here to say what I see and think.

I played Soldat for long time, I would not be surprised if longer than you.

But difference is that I play it and Im trying to have fun, I dont treat Soldat as platform to meat people, I look at Soldat from Player perspective, not old-fag moron who play only gathers and brag about all the time how long he play and how good he is.

I dont give a flying pig about people like you, because of those old-fag players Soldat didnt evolve and is now in deep crap. Because devs and all people behind it nurse you for al those times, because you cry like little kids whenever there is a change in game: change color of some polygon= you cry, remake map = you cry that someone ruined game, add/change some feature = you need to get xanax because you just cant handle it.

I prefer playing randomly in public servers and have fun with random people than listen to "competitive scene" bullshit. Because there is a saying: "The priest forgets that he was a clerk."
And all you people forgot that not "competitive scene" keep game alive but public game where you get new players that after some time get better and better.
Whole point of game is to keep it alive and available for everyone, not just bunch of morons who shut them self in some gather and lick each other butts.

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2018, 06:13:34 am »
Hey everyone,
I just want to let you know that I am aware of the situation. I've read the post. I need to take a few days to make some decisions and make an official response.
I want to help you guys. This is important to me, especially that I see big initiatives and people willing to play and have fun and then these initiatives fail :/. I'll do what I can to help.

Offline logintoo

• Major(1)
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2018, 11:36:22 am »
Hey everyone,
I just want to let you know that I am aware of the situation. I've read the post. I need to take a few days to make some decisions and make an official response.
I want to help you guys. This is important to me, especially that I see big initiatives and people willing to play and have fun and then these initiatives fail :/. I'll do what I can to help.

We all want Soldat to grow. Community is willing to help with it, such as by making maps and scripts. But the biggest weight is on your shoulders. We count on you!
Laziness is one of my greatest virtues.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2018, 11:37:37 am »
This game was all I played years ago.. shame it still doesn't have anti-cheat. It's really impossible to have a competitive scene without a functioning anti-cheat. Hope to see some changes soon, would love to play competitively again. I would be all for helping to pay for a functioning anti-cheat as I'm sure most of the competitive community would.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:39:23 am by CrayAB »

Offline |SSN|BlackOps

• Major(1)
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2018, 02:02:27 pm »
Hey everyone,
I'm not holdin my breath. We as a community have all been let down too much. At some point all of us tried to find some way to fix the community or game from the inside. Nothing ever really worked or stuck. And yet, here we are years later, still no anti-cheat, development is still mismanaged and at a standstill...or a snails pace at best. It seemed (to me) that with every update, nothing truly was fixed, more bugs popped up, some change/feature was added that split the community up even further. Repeated and unnecessary changes to weapons. It always felt like nobody got what they wanted, and just kept holding out for the next version "maybe next release will be better." But a lot of us realized that every version was like this and just moved on.

Every once in a while someone new comes in with enthusiasm, tries to make changes, things fall through and the cycle continues. And here we are. Everyone is saying it....it has been YEARS. I was playing this game when I was a kid and i'm almost 30 now. I mean honestly dude, this is kind of it. This feels like one last final push, with some renewed vigor from some old guys, and a lot of new energy on Discord. Maybe....just MAYBE this is the change we were all waiting for. Maybe this is finally when things turn around and Soldat finally gets the changes it needs to become what we all want it to be.

Or maybe it's just one of the last, final breaths of life being pumped into a lifeless corpse that's been on a delayed burial.

This game means more to us than some of us are willing to admit....I know a lot of us have tried to do something in the past, been shot down and have moved on for years now, but there are people that are STILL HERE, and STILL trying to make a difference. So MM you can take what you want from this thread but people have been saying this game has been dead/dying for years now. There is no "community" left....this is it. Over the years I've checked the front page to see what the server stats are. Most of the time it is less than 10 players. The gather community, the "old timers" we are all that is left of the game at this point. There is no other community out there to get feedback from.
 It's time to shit or get off the pot on this game.

Offline |SSN|Wrath

• Major(1)
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2018, 10:13:42 pm »
Been a long time since I've logged in to this account. Dusting it off to throw this out there. I'm with black ops, played as a kid, almost 30- I want this back as a nostalgia item to revitalize my youth. I think with a possible Steam release, a lot of new life could be cultivated but there are a lot of things that need to be addressed.

Pop this motherfucker on Steam after some work, slap a $5 price tag on it and appeal to a small community, or let someone take the reigns. Sell the rights if you don't want it anymore, but let someone own it, literally and figuratively. Let them be responsible for the outcome. Just delegating the work off to people who have absolutely no actual interest, on a personal or professional level, obviously isn't working. I'm not sure of what the intricacies with licensing are, but open sourcing it and/or putting it on Steam would please the community. It would let us at the very least take the reigns and grow our community more if no one wanted the mantle (that was worth a shit). At this point I think pleasing the gaming community is a priority that is being completely overlooked by the gaming industry, and being a small developer/content creator puts a lot of power in your hands on what you can do here.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2018, 11:26:39 am »
Hey everyone,

Is "doing what i can to help" something more deep than writing 2 lines of text here? I'm afraid the 0.1% of the community didn't take what you wrote seriously, so it would be recommended to elaborate a bit more on WHEN and HOW you are going to do it :)
Otherwise some haters might think you just wrote it for the sake of writing it in hope of buying time instead of taking some meaningful actions. And we all know it's far from true! :)

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 06:46:58 pm »
Drop in yours xD

(inspiration source in attachment)

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 09:25:53 pm »
There's more to just making it open source.

The whole staff on who decides everything for soldat needs to be changed out.
Majority of beta testers does nothing, the person in charge of soldat weapons mod knows nothing about soldat and how to make a good wm (he also refuses to listen to input, unless the input is in favor of his idea) and basically he bought himself into the position beta team/wm maker (he does not contribute in any way other than paying 5-10? a month), the admins in the official gather channel are abusive and uses their admin powers to ban people they don't like (they've done so throughout their admin history).

All of this needs to change. There's no reason for open source if these people in charage will only accept things they've made themselves, the community is too small to make any real change against the official soldat team.

Offline Petterkowski

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2018, 06:12:36 am »
the admins in the official gather channel are abusive and uses their admin powers to ban people they don't like (they've done so throughout their admin history).
Current admins are reasonable, quick and efficient from what I've seen yet there seems to not be enough online especially in the morning hours in Western Europe / afternoon Russia. To date we have never had a problem with discord admins of the magnitude of someone kicking a team or banning someone just because they lost (at least i didn't notice any incidents of such), I suspect that is a maturity-issue and because of our rather high (in internet terms) average age (30+) that isn't a big issue anymore. To be honest I must say that I find many admins to be WAY to liberal on kicking/banning (especially permaban) exhackers or constant trolls for instance. So this is the only issue because there are still many people out there that use this game as an outlet to relief anger or stress by either trolling or griefing others. This issue has been a constant on this game but I feel there might be a way to dialogue with certain people of this group and maybe convince them that their ways are detrimental not only to the community but to themselves as well. Well, other than that, i think discord is being well organised.

Once more into the fray...
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day...

Offline SneS

• Soldier
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2018, 03:31:44 pm »
The release this game on steam will not change anything.

Offline psy.

• Major(1)
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2018, 06:54:58 pm »
discord is what saves the game

Offline Nedi

• Major(1)
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2018, 02:47:23 pm »
Hey everyone,

Still no response XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 05:12:02 am »
the admins in the official gather channel are abusive and uses their admin powers to ban people they don't like (they've done so throughout their admin history).
Current admins are reasonable, quick and efficient from what I've seen yet there seems to not be enough online especially in the morning hours in Western Europe / afternoon Russia. To date we have never had a problem with discord admins of the magnitude of someone kicking a team or banning someone just because they lost (at least i didn't notice any incidents of such), I suspect that is a maturity-issue and because of our rather high (in internet terms) average age (30+) that isn't a big issue anymore. To be honest I must say that I find many admins to be WAY to liberal on kicking/banning (especially permaban) exhackers or constant trolls for instance. So this is the only issue because there are still many people out there that use this game as an outlet to relief anger or stress by either trolling or griefing others. This issue has been a constant on this game but I feel there might be a way to dialogue with certain people of this group and maybe convince them that their ways are detrimental not only to the community but to themselves as well. Well, other than that, i think discord is being well organised.
The bans are way too strict.

It's not going to work to ban somebody for a week because they said something bad. Or ban them for a day because they missed a gather.
If you don't like somebody personally you can mute them, that goes for every user individually.

The admins are really not reasonable, nor are they mature, as it seems like they've wanted to be admin because they lack authority in their real life, thus taking it out on people in the soldat community.

Offline Petterkowski

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:05 am »
It's not going to work to ban somebody for a week because they said something bad. Or ban them for a day because they missed a gather. If you don't like somebody personally you can mute them, that goes for every user individually.
So what's the contingency plan for if they CONTINUE doing it and simply dont care? I think you are putting a lot of faith that certain players are suddenly going to realize the error of their ways and stop doing whatever it is that's causing their teams a headache but I think that this wont be the case for everyone. Yes, bans should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but admins need to be ultimately strict with trolling/breaking the rules in discord games. Flame can be muted off and solved, trolls can not be solved, only by a banhammer. People who intentionally troll and disrupt games should end up banned for a given period of time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:17:48 am by Petterkowski »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2018, 04:59:14 am »
It's not going to work to ban somebody for a week because they said something bad. Or ban them for a day because they missed a gather. If you don't like somebody personally you can mute them, that goes for every user individually.
So what's the contingency plan for if they CONTINUE doing it and simply dont care? I think you are putting a lot of faith that certain players are suddenly going to realize the error of their ways and stop doing whatever it is that's causing their teams a headache but I think that this wont be the case for everyone. Yes, bans should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but admins need to be ultimately strict with trolling/breaking the rules in discord games. Flame can be muted off and solved, trolls can not be solved, only by a banhammer. People who intentionally troll and disrupt games should end up banned for a given period of time.
Most who get banned aren't trolling.

A 20 minute ban for no show, and if you miss 2 games within a weeks span you start getting auto deleted every 2-3 minutes from gathers you add to. Ban times gets longer as well, but always resets within a reasonable amount of time (like a month of good behavior).

Leaving itmog would be a 40min ban, and then another 20minutes ban whenever the person tries to add the next time. This again if repeated within a weeks span the player gets put into the auto delete role, and gets deleted from gathers. Same as with not showing up, bans gets longer, but can still be reset after good behavior.

Admins usually miss their gathers, and behave however they want, without ever being punished. A real system should be automated and be non-discriminatory with punishments against admins.

Offline Petterkowski

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2018, 06:31:21 am »
I think you're exaggerating. Anyways..

That's actually a very good idea. Automated bans literally could be a thing so you don't just have obvious trolls and throwers running rampant ruining people's gathers until an admin gets a chance to actually have someone review them. Even if they have someone dedicated to doing this, they can't be expected to have someone checking things 24/7. I think automated punishments for leaving itmog and not showing up can be easily scripted.

And the same values could be applied to AFK-ing too long mid-game. I've had so many people afk in the past few days it's unbelievable. I know it has always been a problem, but I feel like there's even more now. I'd rather have someone toxic like Timmeh than someone who is going to troll and afk. At least you can actually have a game with someone who is toxic. All you have to do is mute them and it's done.