Author Topic: Official Soldat Trailer Contest (deadline - 30th May 2018)  (Read 33005 times)

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
Official Soldat Trailer Contest (deadline - 30th May 2018)
« on: April 29, 2018, 12:40:51 pm »

Hello there Soldat boys and girls!

I am glad to present to you a contest for the creation of the Official Soldat Trailer! As you all might know, Soldat is on its way to being released on Steam!
That is why Soldat needs a slick, high standard, top quality video to serve as a game trailer, both for steam and to replace Soldat's Facebook cover photo with an awesome video.

So we are looking for you creative individuals for the task!

Prize
While having your video art featured on Steam and exposed to the masses is already a great prize, an additional prize of $150USD will be transferred to the winner through PayPal!

Deadline
30th May 2018.

Guidelines
* Quality: 4KHD preferably.
* Music: licensed for free re-use (Soldat music can be used)
* Content: Fast paced game-play that gives a good understanding of what Soldat includes: kills, flag-throws, teamwork, bloodbath, nade-boosts, fast and agile movement. Basically anything that can be good advertising for the game.
* Time: 30-90 secs. Short trailers are better, it shouldn't be boring at any point.
* Facebook: In Facebook the video may be between 20 to 90 seconds, while the recommended resolution written in Facebook is 820x462.
* Soldat Settings: Non-modified Soldat (recommended: hide death-log and any unnecessary bloat from the screen).
* Judging and disclaimer: The winner will be picked by MM along with people from THD. We reserve the right to not pick any winner if the quality doesn't satisfy us. Do your best!

Inspiration
* BUTCHER's Official Trailer
* Warsow's Official Trailer
* Soldat Films Presenting ctf_Pod (by rgnr)
* The Beauty of CTF (by evhO)
* Bunch of Control's videos (4K): 1, 2, 3 (Quality is great, and displays quick action. However the flickering and over-use of FX is an overkill at least for Official Trailer).

Good luck to everyone!

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:23:37 am by nosejj »

Offline Thize

• Major(1)
Re: Official Soldat Trailer Contest (deadline - 30th May 2018)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:18:44 pm »
Dear Michal, can you give me your PayPal mail? I'd like to add another 20USD to the prize pool. :)

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:07:05 pm »
Also, this video might be useful to give a perspective on marketing aspects of a game trailer on Steam.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:26:46 pm »
I'm in. Hell yeah.  ;) [fist]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:37:31 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 03:37:35 am »
Remember to keep your files people, so we can update or change the video later ;)

Sadly I don't have the files for Cap any more, or else I would have remade it to be even better
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:40:51 am by homerofgods »

Offline Raged`

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:07:04 am »
So is there any ETA  for steam release?

Offline Hubiq

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:07:29 pm »
So is there any ETA  for steam release?

Ups... uncomfortable question. You know what is the purpose of this contest? Another month of waiting for information "release date: next month (June 30)".

Why this contest didn't start a month ago? A month ago we got information:

Hi everyone,
I've been doing lots of talking back between some of the members of the community, and of course Shoozza.
For now I have decided that the best option is to continue development by Shoozza and release Soldat on Steam.
A rough estimate is the end of April, but please don't think this is set in stone, because there are many variables here.

What's next? Let's see... 30th May 2018 - end of "official trailer contest". 31th May 2008 - "Contest: the best icon for soldat".  30th June 2018 - "Contest: the best font for the new logo" (!!! xD). This is absolutely amazing. Half a year waiting for a contest. Official Soldat Trailer Contest. The game was to be released on Steam platform in December 2017. We have a "new release date" every month. After half a year we get information about contest... Contest for best trailer. This is a comedy.

EDIT/

I'm in. Hell yeah.  ;) [fist]

Also

You really? xD This information about the contest is something like "Look, we're doing something! Work in progress!". Bullshit like all the promises here.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:45:43 pm by Hubiq »

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 01:10:54 pm »
I am not an official developer or something, so I am not trying to sell you anything. That video was purely in order to help the ones who might want to think more seriously about making the trailer video. It's some good marketing advice for it.
However, I find it a shame there's a great sense of ungratefulness. Please take your negativity someplace else. :)

Offline Hubiq

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 03:34:17 pm »
I am not an official developer or something, so I am not trying to sell you anything. That video was purely in order to help the ones who might want to think more seriously about making the trailer video. It's some good marketing advice for it.
I was thinking about something else. You said "also  :D" in your previous post. I'm just saying that this contest is just a fiction - the least important thing. Something like: "We didn't do anything in the last month so we will give you a contest! :D"
However, I find it a shame there's a great sense of ungratefulness. Please take your negativity someplace else. :)
Maybe you're right but it's pathetic. All these promises, news, announcements. Every month we get information about the "new release date". A lot of people were happy that Soldat would be released on the steam platform in december 2017. We have May 2018. A lot of players said "Ok, enough. I don't care". Well, this is my last post here and let's be serious - Soldat will not be released on Steam this year.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:37:48 pm by Hubiq »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 03:41:59 pm »
Hubiq, you may be late in your conclusion. Every active player here knows the entire story. Like, me. Check my posts and you'll see the time I'm talking about those things, posting feedback and mockups. Nobody here is being deceived, the rest of this forum knows how the Soldat development workd till now. We all know that there's a high chance to nothing happens again. Whatever. That's the point, w-h-a-t-e-v-er. We're expecting nothing and I'm gonna create a trailer just to satisfy my own desires. I like to edit videos.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 03:58:10 pm »
Since @duz has asked me in private message, I'll post it here for the benefit of everyone.

Soldat Logo: 4K Soldat Background (Includes: PSD, PNG + Font).
Font Used: Invisible Killer (DaFont) - If you'd like only the font.

! Take a look at this topic as well: LINK
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:30:41 pm by nosejj »

Offline Guil TheDamned

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 07:41:48 pm »

Inspiration
* Bunch of Control's videos (4K): 1, 2, 3 (Quality is great, and displays quick action. However the flickering and over-use of FX is an overkill at least for Official Trailer).

No offense but for me, only decent trailer was the first one. For a trailer, you need something dynamic, fast and showing variety. 

Good luck to everyone participing tho.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 07:55:33 pm »

Inspiration

No offense but for me, only decent trailer was the first one. For a trailer, you need something dynamic, fast and showing variety. 

Good luck to everyone participating tho.
None taken. I collected this list. The first and second ones are the only real trailers from this list. The rest is example of either good quality or good content.
It's just to inspire the folks, give some ideas about editing and what not. :)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 10:40:31 am »
How to get true 4K:

Do this in soldat.ini to get 4K maps before you start recording:
Render_Width=3840
Render_Height=2160

If you are using Shadowplay to record I think it demands a good graphics card to be able to record in 4K 60'fps
I'm using fraps
You should record in 3840x2160 60'FPS

Choose 3840x2160 as your working template in your video editor such as Adobe Premiere.
Transfer your work to After Effects for some demanding effects maybe?
And more importantly, render as 3840x2160 when you're done editing.

There is no use rendering in 4K if your content is not 4K ;) 
Note that the high resolution will demand more of your graphics card and the file sizes will be big.
The render times will also go up
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:25:28 pm by homerofgods »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 12:16:29 pm »
How to get true 4K:

Render_Width=3840
Render_Height=2160
When I just set 4K in Config.exe these two vars are still 0. What's the difference?
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 12:53:41 pm »
How to get true 4K:

Render_Width=3840
Render_Height=2160
When I just set 4K in Config.exe these two vars are still 0. What's the difference?
That might be the same, especially if you have a 4K monitor which I don't, perhaps Urraka could clarify for us if there's any difference at all.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:10:41 pm by homerofgods »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 12:59:13 pm »
If you don't have 4K monitor, how can you record 4K using Fraps?
I'm using 4K on Soldat (using Nvidia DSR) and my Fraps can't record the Soldat resolution. All the recorded clips are 1080p.
While recording the game your desktop resolution is 4K or 1080p ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:01:17 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 01:22:52 pm »
I just tested and it seams I can not record 4K with Fraps. I thought it would record whatever Soldat renders, before it is downscaled to fit my screen, but apparently not.

I think there is a solution though.
Run soldat as Windowed Fullscreen
Use Nvidia DSR to set your desctop resolution to 4K
Record with fraps

I'm gonna try and get back to you
Nope. Don't use fraps I guess
Hell you need a beast of a PC to do this
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:31:52 pm by homerofgods »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 01:33:46 pm »
Use Nvidia DSR to set your desctop resolution to 4K
I can set DSR 4.00x but I can't change my desktop resolution to this DSR Resolution. I mean, when I select 3840x2160 the screen goes black and back to 1080p with the msg "Would you like to keep these changes?" Here's the image. Looks like something is blocking it.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards