Author Topic: Official Soldat Trailer Contest (deadline - 30th May 2018)  (Read 32814 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: Official Soldat Trailer Contest (deadline - 30th May 2018)
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 02:01:38 pm »
I have a 1440p monitor. I'm able to set 3840x2160 as desktop resolution with DSR, but Fraps still records in 2560x1440. :s

Shadowplay won't allow me to record in more than 1080p with my GTX780. Even if I have 1440 desktop resolution, 1440 monitor and 1440 settings in shadowplay, the outcome is still 1080p!

I guess if I'm making a trailer I will be rendering Soldat in 4k that is downscaled to 1440.
Not true 4k but still pretty good quality. The downscaling actually gives a nice antialiasing effect (better than normal antialiasing)

I still think there has to be a way to record in 4k
I did manage to get a bit higher frapsed resolution by using Monitor Aero desktop in fraps and Nvidia control panel --> Adjust desktop size, but I didn't get 4k
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:04:03 pm by homerofgods »

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 03:29:05 pm »
what about streaming in 4k is that possible?

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 04:08:50 pm »
I have a 1440p monitor. I'm able to set 3840x2160 as desktop resolution with DSR, but Fraps still records in 2560x1440. :s

Shadowplay won't allow me to record in more than 1080p with my GTX780. Even if I have 1440 desktop resolution, 1440 monitor and 1440 settings in shadowplay, the outcome is still 1080p!

I guess if I'm making a trailer I will be rendering Soldat in 4k that is downscaled to 1440.
Not true 4k but still pretty good quality. The downscaling actually gives a nice antialiasing effect (better than normal antialiasing)

I still think there has to be a way to record in 4k
I did manage to get a bit higher frapsed resolution by using Monitor Aero desktop in fraps and Nvidia control panel --> Adjust desktop size, but I didn't get 4k
You can try to use something like OBS, set the encoding to NVENC.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 04:11:31 pm »
@homerofgods
DVI
DVI is almost as confusing as HDMI. A dual-link DVI connection (as opposed to single-link) can handle 2560x1440 at 60Hz, but not 3840x2160 (which is the typical; 4K resolution). This means that unless you have two dual-link DVI outputs and your monitor can accept two inputs (few can), you cannot drive a 4K screen at 60Hz using DVI. If you?re curious, you can run 3840x2400 at 17Hz using DVI, or 33Hz if you have a dual-cable setup.
link

The issue is:
I can use DSR 4.00x (aka 4K) in Soldat and rescale to 1080p (my monitor resolution). But I can't record it with any software (Fraps or OBS) unless I set my desktop to 4K.
Here's an image of OBS while my Soldat is running at 4K (at least set to it).

Maybe I can find a way to make it work in OBS, now Fraps is a lot more limited.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:13:26 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 05:24:59 pm »
How to get true 4K:

Do this in soldat.ini to get 4K maps before you start recording:
Render_Width=3840
Render_Height=2160
When I just set 4K in Config.exe these two vars are still 0. What's the difference?
That might be the same, especially if you have a 4K monitor which I don't, perhaps Urraka could clarify for us if there's any difference at all.

Correct. Render_Width/Height set to 0 means "default". By default the resolution will match whatever screen resolution (or window size) you choose.
urraka

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 06:15:50 pm »
@homerofgods:
Fixed somehow. I've tried to connect my monitor through a HDMI cable instead of the Dual-DVI. Then I set to 4K and 8hz (maximum available). My monitor went black and I couldn't recover it.
Back to Dual-DVI, my monitor was showing the message "DVI no signal". Ok, turned off the PC and unplugged the monitor power cable for some seconds. Nothing has been changed. Nothing was reseted.
Booted Windows 10 using the "low video" option (idk the name exactly - it's on the list with safe boot), changed the resolution settings to various settings, then back to 1080p 144hz.
Restarted the PC and finally got signal on desktop.
I've tried again to set DSR 4.00x and SHAZAM! Working, idk why or how.

Hey @PerroAZUL:
Now I can record Soldat at 4K using DSR but OBS can't recognize the game using the Game Capture source. You can see it here: https://i.imgur.com/zGjaZ3Q.png
I was not in the menu but in a CTF map.
The same don't happen on Fullscreen Windowed and Windowed. I can set Game Capture source to soldat.exe on both.

I don't know if it's an issue to fix because I can still record using the source Display Capture or Game Capture using Windowed modes.
PS: When I'm using Fullscreen Windowed and I set DSR to 4.00x, this is the result: https://i.imgur.com/zhb8pOf.jpg
Looks like the background is resized and the game itself isn't.

Idk if it's an issue with DSR at 4K or Soldat at 4K. You could take a look.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:03:27 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 08:40:55 am »
I'm able to start demos in soldat windowed in 4k and record soldat in 4k using fraps.
I do not have to use DSR Actually I do have to enable it
I also have to enable Monitor Aero Desktop in fraps

I had to set 3840x2160 in config.exe and not use render_height render_with
Shadowplay isn't recording more than 1440p for me, but if you have a better gfx card the option will be there I think. It's a shame because Shadowplay seams to give smoother videos than fraps

Ok next step;
Adobe premiere doesn't support the frapsed .avi file  :'(  Maybe using fraps was a bad idea after all
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:59:32 am by homerofgods »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 09:01:01 am »
I also tried custom res but when I opened soldat I couldnt see anything
I couldn't see anything either, but I recorded a demo first, so that when you play back the demo it automatically goes passed the menu.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:59:17 am by homerofgods »

Offline ComaG6PD

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 11:13:16 am »
I couldn't see anything either, but I recorded a demo first, so that when you play back the demo it automatically goes passed the menu.

I opened in windowed mod and in 4k like u said and it worked . Only problem was the game was zoomed into the map which is very normal in 1080p monitor imo,dsr didnt fix that, thats why before doing these steps u should watch the demos in normal res

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 04:47:19 pm »
@homerofgods:
Fixed somehow. I've tried to connect my monitor through a HDMI cable instead of the Dual-DVI. Then I set to 4K and 8hz (maximum available). My monitor went black and I couldn't recover it.
Back to Dual-DVI, my monitor was showing the message "DVI no signal". Ok, turned off the PC and unplugged the monitor power cable for some seconds. Nothing has been changed. Nothing was reseted.
Booted Windows 10 using the "low video" option (idk the name exactly - it's on the list with safe boot), changed the resolution settings to various settings, then back to 1080p 144hz.
Restarted the PC and finally got signal on desktop.
I've tried again to set DSR 4.00x and SHAZAM! Working, idk why or how.

Hey @PerroAZUL:
Now I can record Soldat at 4K using DSR but OBS can't recognize the game using the Game Capture source. You can see it here: https://i.imgur.com/zGjaZ3Q.png
I was not in the menu but in a CTF map.
The same don't happen on Fullscreen Windowed and Windowed. I can set Game Capture source to soldat.exe on both.

I don't know if it's an issue to fix because I can still record using the source Display Capture or Game Capture using Windowed modes.
PS: When I'm using Fullscreen Windowed and I set DSR to 4.00x, this is the result: https://i.imgur.com/zhb8pOf.jpg
Looks like the background is resized and the game itself isn't.

Idk if it's an issue with DSR at 4K or Soldat at 4K. You could take a look.

I'm not really familiar with how these capturing programs work, so other than explaining soldat configs I can't be of much help. Also note that I'm not in devteam anymore so not like I'm going to fix anything either :D

When you set DSR to 4.00x (which I have no idea what it is), I suppose you do that *before* running soldat, right?
urraka

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 02:56:31 am »
DSR 4.00x is Nvidias way of enabling higher resolution than your monitor support.
1080 x 4.00 = 4k.
I have a 1440 monitor so I would enable x 2.50 to get 4k
When you enable DSR you can choose higher resolutions in the same way as you normally choose resolution. Unless you choose windowed, the game will first render in 4k and then downscaled to fit your screen. This downscale creates a nice antialiasing effect on a higher quality image, so that 4k downscaled to 1440 looks much better than to just show 1440.

You would think 8k downscaled to 1440 would look even better, but it looks too fuzzy, I think too much downscaling is bad.
I don't know if it's the same for 4k downscaled to 1080?? Bisoufly?

Offline ComaG6PD

• Major(1)
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 05:40:39 pm »
DSR 4.00x is Nvidias way of enabling higher resolution than your monitor support.
1080 x 4.00 = 4k.
I have a 1440 monitor so I would enable x 2.50 to get 4k
When you enable DSR you can choose higher resolutions in the same way as you normally choose resolution. Unless you choose windowed, the game will first render in 4k and then downscaled to fit your screen. This downscale creates a nice antialiasing effect on a higher quality image, so that 4k downscaled to 1440 looks much better than to just show 1440.

You would think 8k downscaled to 1440 would look even better, but it looks too fuzzy, I think too much downscaling is bad.
I don't know if it's the same for 4k downscaled to 1080?? Bisoufly?

Actually 1080p(1920x1080) x 4.00 is 8k which is 7,680x4,320 . 1080p x 2 = 4k but DSR doesnt do anything useful for me . Like i said only way that works for me is opening in windowed in 4k/2k with a zoomed look

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 11:00:00 am »
Hey,
I hope there's progress on the trailers. Good luck :).

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 03:12:26 am »
Hey,
I hope you actually do something more than post month late content, especially when you admitted  that you "always want Soldat on steam"  :)

Offline ComaG6PD

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 10:53:45 am »
MY SOLDAT TRAILER CONTEST ENTRY

https://youtu.be/JAGS3OG0SWs

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:44 pm »
Epic, ComaG6PD!

My only improvement suggestion (that you already know of), is to rid the frames that appear twice around 0:05-0:07.
Then again, saw numerous people saying on Discord how it's only 1 game mode - gotta say with this outcome, doesn't bother me all that much.

GOOD JOB!

Hope to see more people submitting!

Offline Ratman

• Major(1)
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 04:14:15 pm »
I dont get why everyone is so pushy on getting an actual date for steam release. Yes, their initial promise of April was not fulfilled and likely wont be released anytime soon, but do you really want the current version of soldat to be on steam?

You don't get to release to steam twice, so the first time better be perfect or close to. The current version of soldat would not do well on steam so let the delay happen. As long as we are getting some time of development I feel the game is moving forward. At the same time you dont want it to be so delayed that the buzz for the game dies down but we'll have to worry about that later.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2018, 02:30:51 am »
I dont get why everyone is so pushy on getting an actual date for steam release. Yes, their initial promise of April was not fulfilled and likely wont be released anytime soon, but do you really want the current version of soldat to be on steam?
I would rather call it local meme. Steam release date is just a joke, just like release it self :D

You don't get to release to steam twice, so the first time better be perfect or close to. The current version of soldat would not do well on steam so let the delay happen. As long as we are getting some time of development I feel the game is moving forward. At the same time you dont want it to be so delayed that the buzz for the game dies down but we'll have to worry about that later.

Dont spend your time on it, I tried to tell them that and releasing soldat in that stage is just fricking hilarious joke :D
But MM dont care about it, he would rather spend 150 on prize rather than... I dont know, advertising game, update site and assets to look more profesional? Spend it on actual development? Get more people with actual experience rather than random blocks from game who dont do much because its not their job?

No matter how good trailer you gonna get, game without some major changes, especially in terms of UI/customization/look will hit the bottom after 2-3 weeks of initial hype that older players will do installing it, then because of annoying UI, lack of any proper features of online game(local/global stats, proper customization) it will be immediately dumped by any new player.
Its not even about that Soldat is hard, its not, every game have learning curve, but its a matter of showing game to average new player to see reaction you can expect, because even crappy one-person-made games on steam look better than Soldat, and I dont mean maps here... 

If any one thing that Trailer will help promote game... you live in some weird dream world... :D

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2018, 05:53:09 am »
Trailer entries: please keep your original files! Because if your trailer wins, we'll still want to do some edits, like add proper logos and stuff. Thanks :).

Ratman, Akinaro: the goal of the Steam release is not to be super succesful on Steam or compete with other games. Of course Soldat at this stage probably won't attract any new players because simply put it's a 16 year old game. Our goal is to keep the current playerbase and give them an easy way to play Soldat with friends + remind old Soldat fans that this game still exists and they can now play it through Steam. So we're catering to old fans and bringing them back. That's why we don't make any radical changes, we just want Soldat to live on Steam.

Revamping the whole game for a modern look is out of the question, it would take a few years at this pace. So I think releasing what we have is the best for Soldat's future.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:56:26 am by Michal Marcinkowski »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2018, 06:43:38 am »
No one is talking about revamping or remaking whole game, but adjust it to modern times, especially UI, because Soldat have everything what game need to be played even with its current WM and not that great netcode that old players cry all the time(compared to other games this is nothing...)

If all that Steam and Trailer content is to just "make happy" current playerbase.... of maybe 100-120 players where 30-40 play in public/gather regularly this steam releas is useless as glass of water in the middle of ocean...

Soldat need fresh blood, not nursing old players who will be crying even more after that release.