Author Topic: Bisoufly's ctf_Ash remake (unfinished)  (Read 7547 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Bisoufly's ctf_Ash remake (unfinished)
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:25:05 am »
Hi guys. I just quickly want to share with you some pictures of Bisoufly's remake of ctf_Ash as an example of how beautiful we can make maps if we want.
Sadly he doesn't have the map files any more so any attempts to remake it would start from scratch.

Haste maybe you can share with us how you went about making this?

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
Re: Bisoufly's ctf_Ash remake (unfinished)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 05:31:30 am »
Can see any pics (mobile?) , but if it's the one I think it is and I contributed to, then I should still have one ver in my soldat folder

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:18:03 am »
Here are links to the images. And attached .rar with the images as well.
You can post the version of the map here if you want. Or maybe you want to finish it? ;)
https://imgur.com/9LpPj7C
https://imgur.com/Sj9wKa3
https://imgur.com/6LO9DiQ
https://imgur.com/6lStHVb
https://imgur.com/M3heldD
https://imgur.com/BObqGSq

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:22:02 am by homerofgods »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:33:28 am »
Cool remake. Looks really good.
Nuubia it's also another CTF map that needs just this visual touch, not structure changes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:04:35 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 04:02:07 am »
Tad flat, but I like that texture color.
I still cant understand why some of you are so afraid to have sceneries on map in the same time wishing for better looking map, because replacing just default texture dont give you much. Sceneries give more life to map, more... "immersive" experience(if we can use that in 2D games), if someone think that its distracting, I have no idea how you play any other game (and I think its typical ADHD syndrome if you cant concentrate on specific things....)

As for ""share with us how you went about making this"", here are two of Ash remakes that I made long time ago. Maybe someone could use it to get some ideas if he remaking Ash(placement of sceneries, etc.):

Normal Ash

Night Ash with open top:

(image is a bit blurry because I dig it up from old image share site that used hi-compression on jpg)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:04:13 am by Akinaro »

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 04:31:58 am »
Honestly better tad flat like bitsoufly's than over shaded and over-usage of emboss or however they call it in mappers terms (using Photoshop terms here).
Also the transition of textures from building to ground in your version does not look good, Aki.

Plus, all mappers, hear me out on this one: stop using random moons on maps, it's so fugly and unneeded - i cannot even begin to explain. -.-

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 05:22:00 am »
Random moons? I would actually like to hear what you mean by that :D
After all forum is not a twitter, its nice to read more that just one sentence when someone state their opinions.

Yeah transition is not perfect but anyone is free to make better, even quick mockup or at least suggestion...
As for over-shading, night version was made not made on PW :] It was map purely made for screenshot, that why its so dark(also moon was added for that purpose). If I would make actual map I would definitely not make it with such big contrast.
But I dont think that its such big issue in normal version. You are fan of flat single-texture maps, OK. I like other way around and I make it like I wanted it.

Now we have two different ideas and people can discuss that :]

If we would ask for Ash remake I would not choose any of those ideas, not my or Bisoufly version. Soldat or rather devs still have no idea how to unify Soldat look(cartoonish? realistic? pixelated?) so its hard to pick or even make something. We can choose what we personally like, but if we talk here about official remake, this cant be decision of just one-two guys who are biased toward one style/creator.
Some of older players would stick to simple looking maps where whole map is made from one texture and all sceneries are barely visible in the background, but other people prefer more alive maps.
Its important especially right now when Soldat want to hit Steam, and that mean aiming for new players that are fondle with pretty graphic in every game, default Soldat look have its nice atmosphere that we all like, but new player base will expect something more than that... :/

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 07:21:32 am »
The moons on Equinox, Ruins and ctf_Fl (before we revised it)... what good are they but distraction?

Also, mentioning Ruins, I have to say whoever remade it ruined it with this excessive scenery and those stars. My god, cannot load it with bg scenery without getting worked...

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 07:47:22 am »
Yeah, Ruins is just one ugly motherf## :D That moon is just one of many problems of that map.
But amount of sceneries is not a problem there, its just style and coloring is just... not pleasant to look.

As for Equinox it could look good with that moon if background colors, placement and map it self would be tad better/detailed to match that moon. I would not call it "distraction" because you will see it only when you fly high on map, for most of time you dont look at it.

But well, enough about other maps, lets stick to Ash.
Maybe someone else will have some ideas or suggestions regarding it.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 09:15:17 am »
I don't have it anymore (lost all my soldat files unfortunately)

But I have a more recent screenshot of where I was going with it:

There was also a version made by viral and me.

I'm glad viral still has the files. Maybe we should work again on this.

It's hands down the most popular map in public servers. So it's pretty intimidating to work on. I feel like it has to be perfectly polished before being considered.
It also should feel very familiar and close to the original due to it's iconic status. There is no room for mistakes here.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 09:35:48 am »
Woah! Freakin high quality texture. I like that!

Quote from: [quote author=Bistoufly link=topic=45151.msg531460#msg531460 date=1525184117
I'm glad viral still has the files. Maybe we should work again on this.
Do it!
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 12:18:10 pm »
Ye, I have only the one from mine and Haste's collab i think. I don't have the one in the topic sadly :c

Offline dst

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 06:33:48 pm »