Author Topic: ergonomic default controls  (Read 18041 times)

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: ergonomic default controls
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »
Exact. I have been helping many players with movement techniques. And at a certain level, it is almost a necessity to have your wasd fingers dedicated to only that task.
I myself use the space bar to prone.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 11:36:07 pm »
You usually don't need your fingers attached to d while proning as you usually first press a movement key and press the prone key afterwards. Due to both animations, proning and unproning, you'll have enough time to switch back to d.

Contrary to proning, you'll use your direction keys a lot when throwing a grenade. That's why space is a better key for that purpose.

And at a certain level, it is almost a necessity to have your wasd fingers dedicated to only that task.
These default controls are supposed to give new players an easier start. They are not made for climbers, who abuse and bypass certain movements, which you don't ever do in other gamemodes.
Anyway, controls changes will probably wait for 1.8, so there's some time left to keep discussing.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 11:59:37 am »
Only problems I encountered with default controls were:
- Flagthrows - Changed to [G] and had a ball ever since.
- Alt+[Bind Letter Key] - taunts trigger actions on my setup for whatever reason. Been a problem forever.

Therefore, I can only ask for a change for the default Flag throw key which interrupts advanced movement and generates random throws.
And the taunts keys, I've been asking forever for a solution to this. Nothing has been found yet... I lost hope.

Hope to see this implemented in 1.7.2. ^

Offline Ygrek Starmagedon

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 05:28:40 pm »
About using taunts :D : try to press alt first then binded letter key and release binded letter key before releasing alt, pressing & releasing both may bring problems. I have this issue when I try to use taunts really fast in action, but it's not controls' fault but player's.

I use:

Prone - C
Flagthrow -Spacebar (I used Q earlier, and weapon change was on mouse roll)

Additionally - Shift for chat and Ctrl for team chat (cause when I type fast then often t/y are mistakenly written)

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 09:45:35 pm »
- Alt+[Bind Letter Key] - taunts trigger actions on my setup for whatever reason. Been a problem forever.

Problem is basically that keyboard state is gathered every frame, so if you release ALT key slightly before the action key it will be detected as pressed and action gets triggered. This is probably already solved in 1.8 (or at least very easy to solve) because all input code was rewritten in an event-based manner (key-press, key-release), so action should only get triggered when key is pressed without alt.
urraka