Author Topic: Soldat Manual 2018  (Read 6949 times)

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
Soldat Manual 2018
« on: May 10, 2018, 08:09:59 pm »

Hello everyone!

As we're approaching towards a new era of Soldat - the long awaited steam release...
PerroAZUL (urraka) and I worked to bring Soldat's Manual up to speed with a refreshing design, updating and adding missing content.

First of all I would like to thank urraka for joining me in these efforts, he's a very pleasant lad to work with and we kept things moving in a satisfying pace.

So anyway, you can download it through this GitHub.
We'd appreciate it greatly if you guys can provide constructive criticism.

Sincerely,
urraka and nosejj

To do list
- Update Game Modes photos (these are not HD, we're aware of it).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:25:03 pm by nosejj »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Re: Soldat Manual 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:47 pm »
Nice work.

The game is free to play, with optional registration unlocking mainly cosmetic features, such as colored jet flames and customizable interfaces.

Soldat gonna be entirely free on Steam, or am I wrong?
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline ||KruZ3us

• Major(1)
  • Work it out till it perks out!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:26:12 pm »
Yeah Free!
And I'm still waiting for the date of the new release date for the good ol'soldat for the soldats!

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:59:19 am »
Nice work.

The game is free to play, with optional registration unlocking mainly cosmetic features, such as colored jet flames and customizable interfaces.

It's still 1.7.1 manual.

Offline Ygrek Starmagedon

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:09:16 am »
Nice work.

It's still 1.7.1 manual.

Exactly what Moroes said and also I think that they would like to add microtransactions later on to Soldat for aesthetic changes. :)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 02:13:05 am »
What sad is that if this is official manual, I was expecting some glimpse of future reworked settings and UI because if Soldat hit Steam with those configuration(and lack of proper GUI scaling on 2k/4k res), lack of basic functionality like tounts editor, and settings separated from main game... well As I said many times, it will bounce off from any new player like rubber ball after month of initial hype that older players will make.

But if there is some hidden plan and game will actually have improved GUI and settings... why making manual based on old version...

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 04:39:21 am »
I love it :)  Soldat has a unique style and it's not ''old''

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 08:55:07 am »
There is difference between "old" and "unintuitive", "chaotic", "not unified". And that how you can describe settings in Soldat and its GUI.

You will lie yourself if you tell me that its not like that, because its hard to not call it chaotic and unintuitive when most of options are scatter all around menu. Just look at Options => game and network section, why the hell mouse sensitive is in game section? It should be where players set its keys, because its part of controlling options. Why bots difficulty are not just in small and simple item list in start game tab? What Interface style doing in "visual"? It should be in player section, that in side note should use space way better.
You and most of other players are used to it, but for F sake start looking at Soldat as Game that need to get new players and need to at least in minimal way look what today standards say...

As for manual it self I would try to simplify it more and reduce text walls more.

Like for example instead of:
Select the desired Game Style (aka Game Mode). In case you're unfamiliar with the mode's goal, it's shown there as well.
simplify it:
Select desired Game Mode<link>
People arent that dump, they will see that its a link, and know that it will probably contain more info about that...

Or totally removing parts like this:
One second before that, make sure you know the Default Controls of the game (Note: some key binds are changeable on the Player menu)
Its a manual, there is no need to write it as a book. Keep it simple.

Also I would flip GETTING STARTED section to get Join Game first, then Single Player and then creating your own server.

Not to mention that you actually duplicate info here in section "IN-GAME SETTINGS" so there is no reason to write it here.

CHAT section lack anything. If devs dont implement build-in tount editor or put external one, you could at least put info with tount is assigned to with key(for example: "On your feet soldier!" -> alt + Q). It will take some space so you should do it in separate page. Because rise your hand if any of you knew what key is assigned to what tount... and we talk here about manual for NEW players...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:57:46 am by Akinaro »

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »
Hello

We are looking into ways to incorporate the advanced movements tutorial in Soldat's Manual (https://urraka.github.io/soldat-manual/manual.html) .
However stumbled upon the next question: should we add it inline with the rest of the text? or just as a sole link that'll open the whole thing? or any other option?
If it's just one link it might not do the guide the justice it deserves, but if it's all in the manual, this is going to result in even a longer page and a perhaps a cluster of information.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Offline Ygrek Starmagedon

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 01:25:36 am »
What about adding a link to smth like second part of manual ("Becoming pro" or smth like that), but that means you need to make other page. If this fails then link to the forums would be fine I think.