Author Topic: Building a new pc  (Read 5514 times)

Offline GymPolice

• Major(1)
  • What's that face?
Building a new pc
« on: March 28, 2020, 07:56:53 am »
Hey folks,

been holding back my money for a while and now with corona and shit I wanna build a new pc to carry the legacy of my old one. These are the parts that I am looking to buy right now:

8GB Gigabyte RX 590 Gaming H/3xDP (197.50?)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8x 3.70GHz (174.85?)
16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3200 DIMM CL 16 Dual Kit (72.85?)
MSI B450-A Pro MAX AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX (88.90?)
600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold (75.54?)
500GB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" SSD (6GB/s) (78.50?)
1000GB Seagate BarraCuda HD (36.31?)

Total cost: 759.06?

Question: good picks? Anything crucial missing? New to building my own PC, so all help is appreciated. I know there's plenty tech savvy people here. :)
Algorithm
noun ~
Word used by programmers when they
do not want to explain what they did.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Re: Building a new pc
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 04:42:45 pm »
I'd take greater HDD.

Offline GymPolice

• Major(1)
  • What's that face?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:52:10 pm »
I'd take greater HDD.

yeah, good call. I wanna edit videos and stuff so that's gonna be an improvement for sure. If that's the only thing to do then I'm happy, tho!
Algorithm
noun ~

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:31:44 am »
If you don't do video-editing and like to have 100 tabs open in chrome you would probably be ok with 8GB memory.
Also about memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

Motherboards are kinda booring, you don't need to pay much more than what gives you the connections you need and is made for the processor and other components you choose.
If you're paying for a motherboard that supports M.2 disk I would consider buying an M.2 (faster pre-loading in some games, faster boot times)
I'm fine with a 250GB M.2 disk, but I will go for 500GB next time just to future proofing and be able to have more installed steam games or programs at any given time.
If you're on a budget I guess SSD is good enough, but maybe you could buy a cheaper motherboard then.?

Any money you save can be used for a good graphics card and a high refresh monitor. If it was me on a budget I would buy a Nvidia card like Gtx 1060 and a 1080p or even 1440p monitor with 144hz refresh rate or more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:37:17 am by homerofgods »

Offline GymPolice

• Major(1)
  • What's that face?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:47:17 am »
If you don't do video-editing and like to have 100 tabs open in chrome you would probably be ok with 8GB memory.
Also about memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

Motherboards are kinda booring, you don't need to pay much more than what gives you the connections you need and is made for the processor and other components you choose.
If you're paying for a motherboard that supports M.2 disk I would consider buying an M.2 (faster pre-loading in some games, faster boot times)
I'm fine with a 250GB M.2 disk, but I will go for 500GB next time just to future proofing and be able to have more installed steam games or programs at any given time.
If you're on a budget I guess SSD is good enough, but maybe you could buy a cheaper motherboard then.?

Any money you save can be used for a good graphics card and a high refresh monitor. If it was me on a budget I would buy a Nvidia card like Gtx 1060 and a 1080p or even 1440p monitor with 144hz refresh rate or more.

Hey dude, thanks for the reply! PC is all set up now. Followed through with this:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 (non-modular)
16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3200 DIMM
LC-Power Midi-700B Hexagon MicroATX in black
500GB Samsung SSD
2000GB Seagate Barracuda
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3,7GHZ

Really happy with this setup. Gonna serve me well for a long time I hope. :)
Algorithm
noun ~

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 09:57:12 am »
Cool. A final tip then since you have a good graphics card now.. If you only have a 60hz monitor you will be amazed if you go to a 144hz monitor.
For example a cheap 24' IPS panel 144hz 1080p monitor: AOC 24G2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BVHA2VueOQ
AOC 24G2U 24
If you have more money you could go from 1080p to 1440p, but it's perhaps better to game in 1080p with maximum settings, with your graphic card you can even render your games in 1440p downscaled you your 1080p monitor using ''Supersampling''

I have a 144hz 27' 1440p monitor and my experience is that it feels like 24' could even be an advantage so that your focus-area isn't too big while serious gaming. 144hz is a sweetspot right now. 1440p is very good compared to 1080p but the monitor will cost more and your PC has to be good enough to make use of it. I would not go from a 1440p monitor to a 1080p monitor, but if you already have 1080p you come a long way with a new gfx card and higher refresh rate.

General tips while I'm at it...
Keyboard with adjustable actuation keys:
SteelSeries Apex Pro TKL
SteelSeries Apex Pro TKL (Nordic)
Vertical PC case for saving desk-space:
NZXT H1
NZXT H1 650W (Hvit/Sort/Transparent)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:20:41 am by homerofgods »

Offline GymPolice

• Major(1)
  • What's that face?
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:36:57 am »
Monitors with GSync would be hella sexy for my setup. I plan on streaming more over at twitch.tv/artcrusader, so having good equipment is important. :) My current 2 screens are kinda old, so it's definitely time
Algorithm
noun ~

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 05:41:02 pm »
Note that if using 2 monitors with different Hz you gonna have some issues. It's been improved recently but still can be experienced. You can Google more about it.

Offline GymPolice

• Major(1)
  • What's that face?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 06:09:48 am »
Note that if using 2 monitors with different Hz you gonna have some issues. It's been improved recently but still can be experienced. You can Google more about it.

Thanks for the notice. If I get new monitors, I'll buy 2 of the same kind
Algorithm
noun ~

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 03:42:13 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong. G-sync will get you a smooth image but adds respons time. It can be a nice way to remove screen tearing and a smoother image can make it more easy to guess where enemies are going anyway. But if you want as responsive and delay free gameplay as possible you just set your monitor to as many Hz as possible (144 for example) and don't use g-sync. Right?

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 09:19:37 am »
Please correct me if I'm wrong. G-sync will get you a smooth image but adds respons time. It can be a nice way to remove screen tearing and a smoother image can make it more easy to guess where enemies are going anyway. But if you want as responsive and delay free gameplay as possible you just set your monitor to as many Hz as possible (144 for example) and don't use g-sync. Right?
My friend has G-Sync 160Hz monitor and uses it for FPSes mainly. He so far was very satisfied with this technology. But I don't have much knowledge about this, sorry :|

Offline GymPolice

• Major(1)
  • What's that face?
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 05:33:43 pm »
Not that much into FPS games. I mainly play and stream Path of Exile and occasionally Smite and Dead by Daylight for the lulz. The slight "delay" from g-synch wouldn't be bothering me at all. :)

That being said, I will not be buying any new monitors in the time before us. Been put on 50% short work, so less money to spend on such things
Algorithm
noun ~

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 07:25:49 am »

Sounds right to me.

You can minimize input lag/response time with G-sync by going to Nvidia settings and making sure Low Latency Mode is set to 'Ultra'.