Author Topic: MM's Pay-what-you-want (?)  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Equinaux

• Major(1)
MM's Pay-what-you-want (?)
« on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:24 am »
Hey forumers,

Way back in 2012-2013 when MM was developing Link-Dead, he had a service that, upon completion and any amount paid, delivered Link-Dead to the person's E-mail.

Does anyone know what types of services do that sort of thing? or perhaps he had someone code it for him?

The question comes because I am interested in selling a product with the same pay-whatever-amount type service in mind. PayPal doesn't deliver digital products AFAIK.

Regards,
Equinaux

Edit

I've attached a sample...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:43:42 pm by Equinaux »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Re: MM's Pay-what-you-want (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:50:27 pm »
I don't know exactly how it was done for link dead but for other games we had in place - there was a script on our side called by paypal callback upon payment, which in turn was sending the goods to the customer's email address.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Equinaux

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 01:58:43 pm »
It would require a little JavaScript, but I catch your drift. I was looking into the PayPal solution and got so far as to set up the basic sandboxing. Instead of popping up an alert, it could redirect output as you said: to their E-mail address.

Edit

In testing I didn't get far, though alas I am unfamiliar with JavaScript and the PayPal payment callback setup.

Though I gathered that you did the sending of the goods from your end and not the web page's/client's.

Edit 2

As it turns out I don't really have the JavaScript knowledge for this task. Are there any safe/reliable resources that gives a tutorial or some quick intro guide to get started? TBH I'm not really keen ATM to learning it full-on, yet.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:20:38 pm by Equinaux »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 04:32:43 am »
It was done on a server in PHP.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline LordFrunkamunch

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 04:56:26 pm »
Pretty sure Gumroad lets you set up a digital store and do this. You can also set a minimum.

https://help.gumroad.com/article/133-pay-what-you-want-pricing