Author Topic: I followed the wiki and I still can't host games online.  (Read 4523 times)

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
I followed the wiki and I still can't host games online.
« on: April 09, 2020, 10:26:28 am »
Started an internet game and my friends can't join.They tell me my server is showing 9999 ping and they can't join. I don't have a password on it and I am using default ports. I am able to join and play games with other people without issue.

After failing initially, I went into my router and added the portforwarding according to the guide on the wiki. I also put my machine into my router's DMZ. I turned off my firewall on my laptop as well.

I am still unable to host.

Running Soldat 1.7.1 on my 2012 Sony Vaio Laptop. I've got a t/p link router and I have Fiber internet that runs super smooth. All of my friends live in the same area as me. Had one of my friends who knows what they're doing try to host as well, with no luck. Is there a problem with hosting games? Do I need to have a dedicated server setup?
Personal defense is not an option. It's a responsibility.

You can't take the chicken out of a weasel.

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
Re: I followed the wiki and I still can't host games online.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 03:41:52 pm »
You can have a local ip dynamically granted. Use cmd --> Ip config and see ur ip IPv4 Address.
UDP: game port (default 23073)
TCP/IP: admin port = game port (default 23073)
TCP/IP: files port = game port + 10 (default 23083)
Set port forwarding for this ip. Then restart the router by disconnecting the power supply for 30 seconds. Then restart your computer and check again if your ip is the same.
Remember that if you try to join in the local network or on the same computer you fail, you will always see ping 9999 from the lobby. Use 127.0.0.1 ip to join to the server on the local machine.

If you use such a modem -> Wifi Modem -> computer.
Take a look at my diagram and I had to work around there.

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
Ah shoot. I had high hopes for that solution. I plugged directly into my modem but no luck. :/
Does my modem need me to portforward too or something??

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 03:50:27 pm »
Yep, your master modem de facto connects to other servers. I would dig up my old router just to see how exactly I configured the ports because it certainly wasn't like the wiki.
23073 TCP/UDP
23083 UDP
one more port was 219** 
I recommend disabling dynamic routing and setting local ip allocation by mac address.
Then you can be sure that your internal ip will match the ip you provided during the redirection.
Some routers such as dashan allow you to set up redirection in administrator mode ports directly for the mac address.

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 09:20:25 am »
Helloer helped me figure out that my ISP Greenlight has my ip behind their own NAT. I?d have to pay an extra 10/month for a static IP so I?m using Hamachi/zerotier to get my private games going. Thanks so much for helping troubleshoot though! Narrowing down what it could be made it possible for helloer and I to identify the issue quickly over Discord.

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 02:22:23 pm »
A dynamic address is not an obstacle to put the server to play with friends.  ::)