Author Topic: A Faster more Agile knife.  (Read 9202 times)

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
A Faster more Agile knife.
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:46:42 am »
Back in the ol' days the knife was great and was agile fast and crazy, but now its too slow and easily predicted. What I think we should do is change its speed, I was playing around with wep mods, and I think 72 is a nice speed for it.

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
Re: A Faster more Agile knife.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:49:35 am »
I think they should just put it back to what it used to be :(
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:52:45 am »
Please note that 1.3.1 is the only version of soldat I've played...

When I saw knife-a-holics, I was like "Omfg I wanna be a knifer" but then I realized that there was no airtime and distance of throws on the video, so I was thinking "This must be an earlier version." So that also meant that there was no charge-up time on the knife, either, seeing as the charge-up time was implemented just in 1.3.1. Meh.

So, yeah, I agree that the knife should be faster. It is one of the hardest weapons to use. :D

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 01:01:14 pm »
I think it's fine the way it is. The delay helps to balance it out, and the speed is just right.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 01:19:56 pm »
I'd rather throw a knife the second I got it than stab someone with it.  I can never line up the jab, be it with punching or knives.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:38:47 pm »
I'd rather throw a knife the second I got it than stab someone with it.  I can never line up the jab, be it with punching or knives.
Um... you do realize you can throw it, right?... :-\

I was pulling off 30 M knife throws and amazing Minimi kills in a DM server just now. I was killing do much, one noob tried to votekick me saying I was hacking. >:( I was saying "I'm just better than you you noob" and he said "Press f12 everyone he hacker" ::) I didn't get kicked, though. :P

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 02:57:09 pm »
I think it's fine the way it is. The delay helps to balance it out, and the speed is just right.

When they put it in to balance it was needed, but it still wouldn't be the ONLY secondary people use. Other ones have gotten so much better.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 04:11:28 pm »
I'd rather throw a knife the second I got it than stab someone with it. I can never line up the jab, be it with punching or knives.

Please re-read what I said.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 04:14:53 pm »
I'd rather throw a knife the second I got it than stab someone with it. I can never line up the jab, be it with punching or knives.

I did. You said "I can never align the jab correctly," and what I gather from that sentence is that you are just attacking with the knife instead of throwing it. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 04:17:13 pm »
Haha, it's okay.  I don't really care anyway.  Still, KNIFE=THROW.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 08:32:05 pm »

I did. You said "I can never align the jab correctly," and what I gather from that sentence is that you are just attacking with the knife instead of throwing it. Sorry for the confusion.

I thought he was merely stating that he prefers to throw it rather than jabbing, although I don't see how it contributes in any way... ah well.

I loved the knife before the new system was implemented, and I love it now too. It's fine once you get used to it, IMO, there's not really any need to change it.

Offline Gold

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 01:51:37 am »
If +8 got added to the speed, id be happy.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 02:02:06 am »
I think the knife is great as is. The only thing I would like to see is to make it a guaranteed one-hit kill. A one-time weapon that you lose upon use that doesn't even have a guaranteed kill upon impact is a needless penalty I think, even for a secondary weapon.

Offline Rooster

• Major(1)
    • The Australian soldat community.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 02:46:56 am »
In 1.3 EVERYONE knifed, you'd basically come across 1 socomer and 1 law person every 20 people, no matter where you were. Nowdays i see people using all the secondaries. I've been a knifer since 1.2 and it made me sick to see so many people using it in 1.3. I'm glad the weapon thing got nerfed.

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 07:30:31 am »
the knife is a secondary, if it was a primary, i'ld agree with you all.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 12:06:19 pm »
I think the knife is great as is. The only thing I would like to see is to make it a guaranteed one-hit kill. A one-time weapon that you lose upon use that doesn't even have a guaranteed kill upon impact is a needless penalty I think, even for a secondary weapon.
Aye, I agree with that. It should be a guaranteed one-hit kill. It's so frustrating to throw a knife, land a successful hit, the guy doesn't die, and is able to get away to a medikit. :(

For all of you saying no, are you just mad because people are knifing you constantly? ;)

Offline Zegovia

• Flagrunner
  • Blow like a storm, burst like steam.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 01:20:40 pm »
The 1.3.1 knife makes you really feel good when you manage to pull of a real neat throw... ;D

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 04:45:20 pm »
For all of you saying no, are you just mad because people are knifing you constantly? ;)

nope, becuase when they miss that's my pass to my saw.

the knife never always one hit ko's becuase of the speed it's going it when it hits, which i think is fairly reasonable becuase if they survive, you can just swap and shoot one bullet at them. it is the most used secondary and for that it means it should not be buffed, but the others should stay the same as well becuase EVERY secondary has their advantage.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 06:01:34 pm »

nope, becuase when they miss that's my pass to my saw.

the knife never always one hit ko's becuase of the speed it's going it when it hits, which i think is fairly reasonable becuase if they survive, you can just swap and shoot one bullet at them. it is the most used secondary and for that it means it should not be buffed, but the others should stay the same as well becuase EVERY secondary has their advantage.
Yeah, but the knife must be picked up again or esle you have no second weapon, and sometimes the knife disappears into another player's body because of lag, and then it can't be picked up at all anymore.

Offline Commander Kitsune

• Soldier
  • Kits
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 06:06:45 pm »
I think the knife should be a little more quick...It's waaaaay to simple to dodge. Either make it faster or put a little less gravity effect on it, it drops so freaking fast.

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 06:49:15 pm »
Yeah, but the knife must be picked up again or esle you have no second weapon, and sometimes the knife disappears into another player's body because of lag, and then it can't be picked up at all anymore.

well normaly you don't have time to pick the knife back up anyway, and thats also a risk a knifer has to take.

krasnal

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 09:22:34 am »
imho law and knife delay should be removed, like  v1.2.1

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 09:38:12 am »
Well they were implemented for a reason. Maybe add a little bit of speed to the knife, but the charge-up time actually gives me a chance to aim.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 10:22:46 am »
Well they were implemented for a reason. Maybe add a little bit of speed to the knife, but the charge-up time actually gives me a chance to aim.

Do you ever fully charge the knife throw? It has plenty of speed as it is.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 10:33:28 am »
Do you ever fully charge the knife throw? It has plenty of speed as it is.
No... I never fully charge up the knife... I only hope it goes far enough to hit someone, because I can never get a kill with it, because I only click the mouse button instead of holding it down to get a full throw.
[/blatant sarcasm]

I'm saying it does have enough speed, but a little more couldn't hurt. It's the hardest secondary to kill with. (Maybe chainsaw) :P

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 11:10:58 am »
If you think it's the hardest to kill with, it's only because you haven't practiced enough, or because you use the others more. Like I've said before, the difficulty of a weapon is only relative to your skill with it, which is based on the amount of time you spend using it. Granted, it takes a bit of luck in some cases, but you can't fix that by changing anything.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 11:32:38 am »
If you think it's the hardest to kill with, it's only because you haven't practiced enough, or because you use the others more. Like I've said before, the difficulty of a weapon is only relative to your skill with it, which is based on the amount of time you spend using it. Granted, it takes a bit of luck in some cases, but you can't fix that by changing anything.
True, but that's not what I was implying. I never mentioned luck anywhere. Well, it's your opinion on whether it's going to be changed or not, you say no, and I respect that.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 12:00:32 pm »
I'd like to see a littel more speed on the knife, just so I can kill more with it, but it really is fine. You just have to never throw it upwards unless you are absolutely sure you'll hit. In fact, I got a multi kill X2 with just the knife yesterday.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 01:27:47 pm »
True, but that's not what I was implying. I never mentioned luck anywhere. Well, it's your opinion on whether it's going to be changed or not, you say no, and I respect that.

Forgive me for being stubborn, I know I should just leave this alone, but I never implied that you were talking about luck. That was merely another aspect of the knife that I introduced into this debate.

Anyway, weapons are supposed to be changed for balance, not to satisfy peoples' wishes. Hey... can we add another second to the barret's reload time? That would be fantastic. Make the knife faster, and watch me slaughter everyone. -.-

Offline -WildBill-

• Camper
  • Extra-Medium
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 04:17:23 pm »
eh, I think law charge time is fine, but maybe a little bit less of a charge time for knife would be great. it does go pretty fast as it is, but I think like in real life you can throw a knife fairly far (no guarantees about like sticking straight into a wall or whatever) without having to take 2 seconds to take your arm back and toss it, or simply flick the wrist and send it flying.

<off-topic>

I thought he was merely stating that he prefers to throw it rather than jabbing, although I don't see how it contributes in any way... ah well.

I loved the knife before the new system was implemented, and I love it now too. It's fine once you get used to it, IMO, there's not really any need to change it.

lol wewt, quote tunnel going!</off-toppic>
lol siggeh deleted for the 7th time! that's like a new record or something, ain't it?

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 04:23:04 pm »
eh, I think law charge time is fine, but maybe a little bit less of a charge time for knife would be great. it does go pretty fast as it is, but I think like in real life you can throw a knife fairly far (no guarantees about like sticking straight into a wall or whatever) without having to take 2 seconds to take your arm back and toss it, or simply flick the wrist and send it flying.

<off-topic>

lol wewt, quote tunnel going!</off-toppic>

He was trying to say He sucks with trying to stab with it, so hed rather throw it all the time
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 04:30:26 pm »
Stop wasting time about how you people use knife..This is prolly going to be locked if you guys keep it up.

5th_account

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 04:36:51 pm »
I like your thinking! *applaud'n'locked*