Soldat Fans > Developers Corner

Since lag is such a problem...

(1/3) > >>

boer:
...we need solutions , since playing this game with 400 ping is often more frustrating than entertaing.

one suggestion that might work is :
( you need to visualize this )

There should be  ping amount on each and every packet ( sent on the network) , so that when the packet arrives, the server calculates where everyone was at TIME ( ping/2 ) and collide detect accordingly.  Everyone 's position can be approximated linearly, meaning that their "old" position was : (current position) - TIME*(current velocity), this will work good for ping < +- 400.
This  is not failsafe, since a users 's ping is not neccesaraly(spelling...) what it will be ( when the packet is sent ) but its a good approx.

Currently, i think, when a packet arrives at the server, it does col.detect as to where everyone is at the time the packet arrives. So if on the client side , you shoot , the ping is 1000 , the server will col detect when everyone has already moved by 500ms.

any thoughts to this?

FliesLikeABrick:
this will gain absolutely nothing.  the fluxuation in pings will be just as bad as trying to do this, plus the difference in ping among players.  When someone sends a packet, it will be labelled with their previous ping time... what good does that do?

second, everyone's pings are different, and you're saying that you would delay the game. In order for it to work since everyone has a different ping, you would have to emulate the game a different time for every player.

Thirdly, this essentially makes the game so that you're not playing in real time.  Once the server does its compensation, you're saying to have it pretend it is working like it should be if there was no ping (basically adjusting for it).... but you still have to send the information back to the client.

Just because I hand you a piece of paper with tomorrow's date on it doesn't make tomorrow come any sooner, nor does it mean I'm from the future. 

edak:
WOW FLAB! you summed that one up perfectly, exactly what I was thinking as I read boer's post.

boer:
ok, but if i send you a letter ( with a date stamp , and it arrives in 2 days later ) stating where i was , and where i was going at what speed, then you can know exactly where i am once you read that , provided that i did not change direction.

Mr. Domino:

--- Quote from: boer on June 12, 2006, 11:36:49 am ---...we need solutions , since playing this game with 400 ping is often more frustrating than entertaing.
--- End quote ---

My solution would be to get a faster Internet connection and choose servers close to you. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version