Author Topic: Survival mode chat disabled upon death  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Survival mode chat disabled upon death
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:07:43 am »
I got called on for spying when I was doing what I'd normally do on a normal game and letting my team know where the EFC and threats are. It didn't occur to me that being able to see the game after dying and be able to alert your teammates to the enemies positions ruins the spirit of survival mode. Why is this allowed in the first place? It seems to me that this is something which either should be disabled or have an option to disable it. Perhaps there could be some way where any message from a dead player is treated as a PM to other fellow dead teammates.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
Re: Survival mode chat disabled upon death
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:13:53 am »
At least in R/S, I agree with you.  I think death talking should be allowed in normal mode though.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 11:28:06 am »
No no, I think its fine, sometimes people have to wait a while and might wanna talk you know? I rarely see peopel spying, I don't think its much of a problem
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 01:16:27 pm »
lol, I USED to spy, while I was still in the n00b stage, but I got over it.  Nah, don't disable chat on survival after death.  Just ban the n00b spyers, or make it so you can only see what your teammates see.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline TDL

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:43:22 pm »
Perhaps remove TEAMchat upon death so that when you spy everyone knows it and you'll be torn to shreds in SECONDS :P

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 01:46:19 pm »
The problem is that spying after death is allowed by the game. There is nothing there to indicate that it's "illegal," and kicking someone for something allowed by the game seems silly to me. An option to make it so the dead can only talk among themselves and not effect those still playing seems to me to be a good idea that doesn't harm anything. A simple yes/no server switch would allow people to still talk in game the current way.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:44:53 pm »
Well, regardless, even if the dead could only talk amongst each other in R/S, the text box would still pop up over them, or what's left of them. :-\
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 04:12:48 pm »
Yeah, this has been an issue for a while.  Most big r/s servers now make it a rule not to spy, anyways.  While having some kind of pm or disabler option would be nice, most people stop after you tell them no spying.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 04:15:38 pm »
Key word: MOST

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 08:18:42 pm »
I believe it'd be nice to have the chat be seperated from dead and alive players. Also, it should therefore not show a text above the dead player's heads.
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 08:25:10 pm »
just make a server script, when you die you are global chat banned. when u respawn u are unbanned.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 08:49:34 pm »
Hm.  Not a bad idea, though it might be kinda hard for the server to handle.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 09:35:12 pm »
This has been suggested before; and its a good idea. But as jettlarge said, just use a script.

Offline Chameleon

• Major
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 10:01:21 pm »
i dont think a global chat ban would be good, because some people like to talk to others while they are dead. a global mute would force people to talk while alive (and run the risk of dying), or "encourage" people to download another program to talk on (such as teamspeak), in which case spying would still be possible.

imo, a global mute is not the answer. to successfully eliminate spying, it think that it would ahve to be programmed into the game, that dead people can only talk to dead people or something like that

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 10:02:43 pm »
make a script so that the message only goes to those who are dead than...its really not that complex guys seriously.

Offline Zegovia

• Flagrunner
  • Blow like a storm, burst like steam.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 06:23:38 am »
Sometimes i agree on this one.... But i really enyoy howling something like "Come back here so i can bite ye legs of!!!grawr!!!"  ;D

As a server option maybe?  ;)

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 09:12:36 am »
lol.  Yeah, best off as a server option.  If someone can find a way to punish people for team-chatting when they're dead, that might take care of the problem.