Author Topic: New game mode: Tournament mode.  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Requiem-

• Soldier
New game mode: Tournament mode.
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:16:21 pm »
Tournament mode is a competetive mode, for about 8 players, but more/less is possible too. The concept is easy: it's actually kind of a Last Man Standing mode. You start with 8 players (example), whom battle eachother in a 1v1 match. The winner of each round goes up 1 lvl, where he can restock on nades (not necessary), regenerate jet, pick up a medpack, ... Then the next battle is fought, all the way to the top, where the final is. Winner gets ...nothing ;D .. It's for fun anyway.
Any suggestions/ideas/comments are welcome.

Pro's:
-Fun to play with friends.
-Not chaotic, like many servers.

Cons:
-The people in it have to be willing to participate decently.
-May get boring after a while.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:18:13 pm by Requiem- »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Re: New game mode: Tournament mode.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 01:18:48 pm »
You can set this tournament bracket up on your own. It's annoying enough having to wait for others to finish playing in survival mode as it is. I (and I think most) don't want to wait even longer to let pairs finish playing their games.

Offline Requiem-

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:22:09 pm »
A 1v1 fight doesn't take very long... You gotta give my idea a try without looking at my # of posts.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:42:56 am »
im almost positive you could make a server script to do this...maybe with arsse or esa.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:15:53 am »
A 1v1 fight doesn't take very long... You gotta give my idea a try without looking at my # of posts.

I don't care about post count. :) A 1-on-1 match can take a few minutes to complete, especially on an R/S server. Since people would be more focused on staying alive, you can expect more running around and fleeing for health packs and ammo reloads. Of course, a 1-on-1 map is small enough where this shouldn't be an issue.

The point is that you can hold such tournaments right now -- there are a few sites which do brackets just like this. Just create a private server, enable a lot of spectators, and just have everyone but the two playing watch and swap out as needed.

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:11:48 am »
There is a script that has been done by ElephantHunter to do something similiar to that, without the whole manually specing in and out thing. Very useful, if there are some mappers to make high quality miniature dm maps for 1 v 1, it would be a great server to do.
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0

Offline Requiem-

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 10:21:16 am »
Mhh truen but I had in mind that all players join at the same time, play their 1v1 matches, and then go up to restock on nades & stuff, and then to the next round... But that script is prolly better than this crap :P anyways what's that site you mentioned domino?

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 05:28:47 pm »
this is a RLY bad-cycling game.  When you die... you're out permantently?  Are you supposed to wait till the next tournament (not round) starts?  What if you don't have 8 people?  Who's going to be willing to wait for so friggin' long to play one short round of 1v1 dm.
Message to all:  Think your ideas over before suggesting them.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 06:21:27 pm »
If this were to be implemented into the game, there would have to be maps added to fit this gamemode, watching people 1-1 on b2b would be insanely boring, it would have to be arena sized or greater, besides, it would totally suck to get eliminated in the beginning and have to sit there forever and ever waiting to start a whole different tornament, it would obviously get boring very quickly.

The bigger the tornament the longer the wait will be for the dead. the option for single or double deaths should also be implemented
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Tallacaps

• Soldier
    • History surprises
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 05:05:09 pm »

I like the idea.