Author Topic: m79 counter  (Read 9651 times)

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
m79 counter
« on: June 13, 2006, 12:55:57 pm »
What is the best counter weapon against m79? I mean i hat getting blown up by those things. I never ever use one. ive been testing out weapons to counter but no luck. I hate it when im thrown into a server with tons of m79 users. so if anybody has any suggestions to counter it, please put it in this thread. Thanks!

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
Re: m79 counter
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 01:07:22 pm »
Keep a distance.

Offline Elemental

• Major
  • Lawl
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 01:15:17 pm »
Yeah, just keep a distance, and you can use ruger or any auto, really..just try and keep out of their range :/

Tacklebeast666

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 01:18:36 pm »
throw a nad on the ground then back out or into them.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 01:20:50 pm »
Yup, don't come close and use some medium/long range guns. People always chace after the enemy but sometimes its better to move back and shoot em from a distance.

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 01:23:26 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions guys, they helped me alot :)

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 01:47:02 pm »
As an AUG user myself I can tell you that the AUG is efficient against both m79 and Barrett users.    Just unload on them (mainly against barrett users) and they are 90% of the time too binked to hit you.
But against m79'ers as the others said, just keep some distance and you should be fine.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 02:10:24 pm »
what I do is just keep a distance and blast them with the m95 while throwing nades in front of them.
There are other worlds than these

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 02:43:41 pm »
yes but many maps force you to be in close contact with an m79, (kampf bottom for example)
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 02:54:07 pm »
Keep some distance and stick to the ground so that you can backflip and take command of the situation should you see an M79 shot fired. Being in air limits mobility, so if you're fired upon, your best recourse is to prone jet. Note that the M79er only has one shot, so if you see an approaching enemy, and he is not firing on you, it's safe to assume he has a M79 and is just waiting to get in better range for a good shot. This is my sign to treat the enemy as a bomb and keep my distance. If you're using an auto, you'll have little to concern yourself with as the bink will just ruin his chances of taking you out. Even then, always be wary of the secondary weapon and possibility of a second M79 shot if one was picked up.

yes but many maps force you to be in close contact with an m79, (kampf bottom for example)

The only part that favors the M79 above all other weapons is the narrow tunnel at the top part of the map near Bravo's base. When you say "kampf bottom," can I take it you mean the tunnel low in Kampf 2? That's nothing special and no different than the one in Equinox and many other maps. Low ceiling tunnels really aren't good for the M79; the only reason the top one in Kampf works is because the angles force an enemy into being an easy shot, having to rely on grenades or a teammate to finish the M79 waiting.

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:17:35 pm »
Since the m79 doesnt shoot straight i  back away and use jets in the sky and shoot them with a ak-74.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 06:26:20 pm »
I use the AUG which has a decent range and is fairly easy to keep distance with.

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 08:11:55 pm »
blast them with the m95
Nuff said.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:18 pm »
I usually fly straight up with a high velocity so their grenade doesn't hit me, and then I swoop in and kill them. :P Seriously, it works.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 08:27:16 pm »
Keep some distance and stick to the ground so that you can backflip and take command of the situation should you see an M79 shot fired. Being in air limits mobility, so if you're fired upon, your best recourse is to prone jet. Note that the M79er only has one shot, so if you see an approaching enemy, and he is not firing on you, it's safe to assume he has a M79 and is just waiting to get in better range for a good shot. This is my sign to treat the enemy as a bomb and keep my distance. If you're using an auto, you'll have little to concern yourself with as the bink will just ruin his chances of taking you out. Even then, always be wary of the secondary weapon and possibility of a second M79 shot if one was picked up.

The only part that favors the M79 above all other weapons is the narrow tunnel at the top part of the map near Bravo's base. When you say "kampf bottom," can I take it you mean the tunnel low in Kampf 2? That's nothing special and no different than the one in Equinox and many other maps. Low ceiling tunnels really aren't good for the M79; the only reason the top one in Kampf works is because the angles force an enemy into being an easy shot, having to rely on grenades or a teammate to finish the M79 waiting.
no i mean both the flag areas and the top part of bravo and also they can just camp the middle without much retort.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 09:33:16 pm »
it helps if you practice using m79s against bots to get an idea of how they work. than for in real games, if you can, get way above them and shoot downward. if you cant get that high up, either stay on the ground or in a parrallel line. that way it takes longer for the grenade to hit you or you can do a backflip. also going prone in air sometimes helps. but most of all, learn how far it can shoot and stay just an inch away from that distance.

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 09:40:15 pm »
A lot of new players in their masses use m79. Just two autos on your team however (as i've practiced) can achieve overall superiority over the game.
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 09:46:14 pm »
All hail Chakra and Mancer, the kings of the Ruger users.

EDIT: lmao at ur sig chakra
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:48:56 pm by Sethamundo »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 10:36:13 pm »
no i mean both the flag areas and the top part of bravo and also they can just camp the middle without much retort.

Just toss grenades at any flag campers on Kampf. The Bravo area is open enough where that shouldn't be a problem, and any weapon can shoot into it at an angle to attack the person in their without having to get in range. The Alpha flag area is a bit harder to attack, and it's a balance problem with the map. Flag camping isn't strictly for an M79's advantage -- any one-hit will help, and I find the chainsaw works best.

As far as the top section, grenades from above will scare anyone out of that small "Z" tunnel, which is easy enough coming from Alpha's direction. If it's an Alpha camping there, just know that you'll get a quick respawn since it's close to Bravo's base, and just accept that if you go up with a M79 you can take him out as well to clear the space. Otherwise, you can try to fake out the person into shooting (move in and roll out, backflip, etc.), or worst comes to worse, take the long way around and grenade him from behind.

Offline AerialAssault

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 11:50:19 pm »
i guess you could say i am an m79 vet, its always been one of my favorites and most frequently used weapons. all i can tell you when it comes to beating it is to move in un-predictable patterns or keep your distance or both.
Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan