Author Topic: Friendly Fire, why?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Friendly Fire, why?
« on: September 17, 2006, 03:50:55 pm »
I love playing realistic, its fun and all that, but i have a hard time understanding why people play with friendly fire.

Friendly fire is a nuisance to me, the only reason anyone would ever get a teamkill is one of the following:
1. the tker has no idea what the fuck hes doing
2. some lamer gets in the way too much
3. some internet fight that ends in teamkilling each other and a kick from the server
4. random spray
5. to be an asshole and tk for the flag
6. a total accident

It doesn't make much sense to have on at all, I mean I would rather go all by myself than have to worry about where i am and where some other idiot is so I don't get us all killed.

Friendly fire just makes a team less effective, i find myself screened by six or so guys who got pwned and run in front of me directly at the enemy. It is so much to worry about.

So my question is; why do  so many people like it, and why do so many servers have it?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
Re: Friendly Fire, why?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 03:51:37 pm »
You can kill asshats, that's why.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 03:53:38 pm »
It's more strategic, makes it more laid back and passive.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 04:02:30 pm »

There's nothing like a laid back and passive war game. :P I posted a similar topic about a week ago and agree. I really can't stand friendly fire.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 04:08:09 pm »
With all respect, I highly doubt "OMFG WTF HAX TK KIKNBAN NOOB!" is at all laid back or passive.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 04:19:43 pm »
Just a fun thing when you get used to it.  Makes you spray less, too.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:02:46 pm »
The reason friendly fire exists in realistic is because friendly fire is realistic..

If you shoot someone in real life they will take damage.

ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline amity

• Major
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 05:36:25 pm »
haha, aplauded, what an awsome coppout!
freindly fire is a nice change from normal servers i reckon, i rarely play them,but yeah ff adds more order i reckon ( in the sense that you cant just focus on the person your kill etc, you have to focus on everything)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 05:42:26 pm »
The reason friendly fire exists in realistic is because friendly fire is realistic..

Yet the guns react far less realistically in realistic mode. No trained soldier's arms would shoot up after firing a pistol or rifle. The mode is a misnomer in a number of ways.  :-X

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 05:58:51 pm »
Yet normal mode isn't normal :p  They are both fine in their own ways.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 06:27:46 pm »
With all respect, I highly doubt "OMFG WTF HAX TK KIKNBAN NOOB!" is at all laid back or passive.
You're right, that's a noob, try ignoring them.

Yet the guns react far less realistically in realistic mode. No trained soldier's arms would shoot up after firing a pistol or rifle. The mode is a misnomer in a number of ways. :-X

Most just crank up mouse sensitivity, it's easy to adjust, and even trained gunsmen get recoil, they have to adjsut somewhat.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:30:11 pm by BooBoo McBad »

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 02:19:02 am »
I'm a fan of FF. I think it's the most brilliant checkbox feature next to realistic mode itself. It really allows a team to work as one, instead of people just running of on their own. You gotta watch your every step, and keep in mind that death isn't always coming from the frontline, but could as well be a misfired LAW or something. Ofcourse it screws up siometimes, and some lameass joker joins the server only to start an e-riot. That blows for sure, but when it works, and it does most of the time, it's really the best..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline 001 Amped

• Major
    • New Zealand Soldat Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 02:49:01 am »
Well i think i understand where your coming from, you'd need the most mature players in Soldat to have a nice realistic match with FF on, otherwise you get TK'ed on "accident" everytime you get the flag.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 04:24:50 am »
I gotta confess, I sometime shoot the ffc when he's coming towards me at great speed. It's just per reflex, and if I have ruger or something, I sometimes kill him accidently.. Not everyone TK on purpose, and usually when someone does, all of his team will eventually turn on him and he'll leave.

I think TK is less of a problem these days than it used to be.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 10:44:51 am »

Bingo
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 11:00:26 am »
It stops people from tapeing their mousebutton down, and simply running around and aiming. In ff, when people are in front of you, they have the right-o-kill, you simply stand back until their body parts splash all over you, then you whip out the deagles and put 2 in the enemies forehead...

Yet the guns react far less realistically in realistic mode. No trained soldier's arms would shoot up after firing a pistol or rifle. The mode is a misnomer in a number of ways. :-X

And thats why many j00bs prefer unrealistc mode, they cant handle the recoil. Most people on realistic move the mouse downward while firing, depending on the weapon, to counter recoil. Hence, being "trained".

I gotta confess, I sometime shoot the ffc when he's coming towards me at great speed. It's just per reflex, and if I have ruger or something, I sometimes kill him accidently.. Not everyone TK on purpose, and usually when someone does, all of his team will eventually turn on him and he'll leave.

I think TK is less of a problem these days than it used to be.
Same with me, but i use the names on the edge of the screen to decipher ifs its a friend. The names grow dimmer the farther away they are.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 03:14:11 am »
Yeah, so do I. But every once in a blue moon he comes along unnoticed and I just click :P

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 04:13:16 am »

And thats why many j00bs prefer unrealistc mode, they cant handle the recoil. Most people on realistic move the mouse downward while firing, depending on the weapon, to counter recoil. Hence, being "trained".

It's bad game design when poor control is considered part of the gameplay. It's as stupid as, say, having to enter in some obtuse button combination would be to make Sonic jump. A player should not have to "train" himself to overcome shoddy needlessly complex control. Granted, it does weed out a lot of "noobs" who don't take the time to adjust, and I suppose that's the real appeal of it, but it still remains a horrible design choice. Thankfully it's just an option and not the setup for the main game.

Offline DragonSlayer

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 04:33:59 am »
Friendly fire rocks if you are playing with people who know what they are doing.

I can imagine friendly fire being horrible on pubs.

AE/DragonSlayer

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 01:46:10 pm »

It's bad game design when poor control is considered part of the gameplay. It's as stupid as, say, having to enter in some obtuse button combination would be to make Sonic jump. A player should not have to "train" himself to overcome shoddy needlessly complex control. Granted, it does weed out a lot of "noobs" who don't take the time to adjust, and I suppose that's the real appeal of it, but it still remains a horrible design choice. Thankfully it's just an option and not the setup for the main game.

Well, that's your opinion.  It's nowhere near needlessly complex; all you are really doing is getting used to it.  Sure, it may take time, but it's still Soldat.  Don't hate another mode just because you don't prefer it :p  I still love Normal mode.