Author Topic: swimming  (Read 4064 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
swimming
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:44:59 pm »
Here's a topic from the old forums I want to bring up (for voting).

Here are more details on this idea:
(1) Mapmaker should have sparate polygon for water.
(2) Water should produce a buoyancy force on the player so that he dives slower and rises faster (even though he has heavy-ass guns!
(3) Movement is simple: "w" (up) to swim -> the soldier will follow the cursor and (so that there's no upsidedown looking soldier facing the other side) have another flipped animation for other way.
(4) Maybe even add backward movement although this won't be all that necessary.
(5) List of water-proof weapons:  Deagles, AK74, ruger, barret, minimi, socom, knife, chainsaw, fist, regular rambo bow, flamethrower, grenades (see 23) and 24)).  List of non-water-proof weapons:  MP5, steyr aug, spas, M79, minigun, LAW, falming rambo bow would be like regular bow), M2 stationary gun.  Anything I missed?
(6) Oxygen bar (map editor editable?).
(7) After oxygen runs out blood will quickly be drained (like in Tomb Raider games).
(8) Oxygen recovers rather quickly (4x faster than used up).
(9) Underwater, jet-boots can also work to make you faster in the direction you're looking at.
(10) Player should move upwards while not moving about 5 times slower than gravity pulls down.
(11) New secondary: Oxygen Tank - good only once (can't recover/reload) - when selcted (q) its "ammo" bar will slowly go down (about good for 25 seconds).  To use gun you must switch to it (can't use gun and tank at the same time).
(12) When switching to oxygen tank while underwater after the soldier has lost some breath, it replenishes that "breath" same speed as if you were outside, using up more of your tank.
(13) You would move slower underwater.
(14) Bullets are weakly affected underwater.
(15) If a player has a gun out underwater and it's not waterproof it will just not fire but still work outside after.
(16) You can still punch underwater.
(17) When swimming/floating ON water, your breath won't be used.
(18) And players can use non-water-proof guns (if aimed above water)while floating.
(19) While floating, a player's body is always pointing either left or right (so that you don't have people making the guy be diagonal sticking out of the water at water level (unrealistic).
(20) While floating, players also get their breath back (reloads).
(21) You could make little airpockets underwater in the map editor to catch breath.  Ideal for climbing-type maps.
(22) Grenades will have less range when thrown underwater.  The same goes for M79 projectiles.
(23) Cluster grenades?  ...I don't know.
(24) Flame god will still be flaming because it's a super-mode.  However it only boils the water (with some boiling animation) making it super hot so that if you swim thorugh it while it's still bubbly/boiling, you will loose health (unless you're in god-mode). - Idea by Captain Ben.
(25) Shots fired from outside of the water into the water should dcrease speed by about 33% and also do 33% less damage - however sniper should still kill on hit.
(26) Also, the bullets described in the previous point should bend a little toward the normal (meaning it gets closer to being vertical).  Inverse properties applicable.
(27) Bullets should have water-spash effects accompanied by sound effects.
(28) Water particles are to be rendered as particles - client-side only of course - amount of particles optional in setup to handle computer lag.
(29) Another great idea by Captain Ben: When people die they should float on the water.
(30) Again, Captain Ben's idea: Blood should cloud the water, especially from a dead person.

Alright I guess that is it.

Also please tell me whether you understood every single point I mentioned here. Otherwise I will make it more

comprehendable for you guys.

P.S.:  I tried to make this into a vote but I got an error saying I'm not allowed to access that part of the forums...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:47:30 pm by zyxstand »
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Re: swimming
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 09:48:19 pm »
MM doesn't seem to be planning on making any major changes to the game.  That being the case, I think this would be way too much to impliment considering how it would effect the rate of gameplay and the weapons balance.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:35:12 pm »
MM said that there will never be any new changes to the map format unless he himself declares it in the future. That effectively defeats (1), which is the hallmark of your suggestion. :-X But, we can dream...

Nice list, tho'. 29 & 30 are cool.

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 03:24:40 am »
Kinda like Half-Life, but I don't quite like it being in the battlefield though.

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:27:28 am »
Nice list, tho'. 29 & 30 are cool.

:D
I remember this list... I still wish it would happen

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 08:10:46 am »
Sure, as long as it won't lag the servers.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 08:15:51 am »
I loved This tread..

We can dream

Allways

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 11:19:46 am »
I seem to recall Liero AI (http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/liero/, it's based on the game Soldat is based on) had some pretty nifty uses of water.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

ArmedManiac

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 05:42:25 pm »
too much time for not enough water

Offline pinOi32

• Camper
  • "Bravo kid's bad day"
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 05:56:06 pm »
................................................. ...swimming?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG@!$#()$*(@)$*@&#@($)$$@@

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Pls use my amazing interface:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=27584

I WIN!!

WHY MY KARMA SUCK??

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 05:59:04 pm »
....................................................swimming?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG@!$#()$*(@)$*@&#@($)$$@@

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

just a question, whats your problem with swimming besides u seem to break into swear words when it's mentioned?

ArmedManiac

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 06:25:37 pm »
there isnt much water for one, for two a water map would be a little extreme, for three, i like to just run and not overcomplicate soldat(the easy free game to play right out of the box)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 06:28:48 pm »
pinOi32: warned for spamming. At least tell why you find the idea unfeasible.

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 10:51:02 pm »
no. it would make soldat slower paced with water around.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:38:14 pm »
it's sometimes good for soldat to be a bit slower.  it won't make it slower overall, just some parts...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

ArmedManiac

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 09:36:05 am »
ok, but who all would use this, we should take a poll(poll would be void if like 10 people voted, cuz thats not really all of soldat)

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 09:38:12 am »
You pretty much covered everything in that list, although it will never happen it's nice to see an organized suggestion.   :)

Offline ElBastardo

• Major(1)
  • DA BEARS
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 01:20:16 pm »
(23) Cluster grenades?  ...I don't know.
 well u could make it traval a little further then open and make the nades move apaet and away from the player and EXPLODE

swimming would be so awesome
we can Dream and when MM is off he can also dream
American Football ROKS The Chicago BEARS 6-0 Bears are WAY too good for you

Offline Hootie hoo

• Camper
  • "Noone" isn't a word.
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 01:46:21 pm »
It's never going to happen.
It'd be fun and I'd like to have something like that, but it'd take FOREVER to code and would probably generate plenty of lag.
Image removed please read the forum rules.

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Lifeâ„¢
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 02:28:39 pm »
Nah. It'd be fun and all, maybe even making maps played completely under-water (Half-Life Ichtyosaurs anyone ?). Disregarding that Michael has already said there will be no more major improvements to the game, this would probably disrupt the thesis that Soldat is based on. Fast-paced gameplay, no time for a leasurely swim ()

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 03:34:11 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to introduce a new polygon type, that merely slows your descent? I think, for it's simplicity, it would be a fairly good simulation of water. It wouldn't have any of the cool sounding stuff in the original post, but neither would it reduce the game to a snail's pace. And it should be easy to add in (hopefully).

ArmedManiac

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 03:40:02 pm »
i like that a lot better :) :) :) , i didnt li,e the other idea, too complex