Author Topic: animated maps  (Read 5860 times)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Re: animated maps
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 11:23:38 am »
It's not just a coding thing. I seriously don't think many players would like it; this feature would really only be cool for trench-warfare or Soldat movie-making.

Offline thematrixeatsyou

• Major(1)
  • Don't Camp And Soldat
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 11:46:31 pm »
Have you ever heard of Liero? There's a clone of it called Gusanos, which has custom objects, and it beats Liero because of that.

I'm completely for adding custom objects.
"dont shoot me its not nice"

Offline kingof gamez

• Major(1)
  • Zelda
    • SoldatMega
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 10:49:57 pm »
if lag is the ploblem, y dont u only let 5 people on the sever at a time
Ingame Names/ Uncle Jimmy/ {THE REAL ADMIN}/ Ray/ Tyson/ Computer Mod By Ray/
http://www.soldatmega.tk

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006, 11:13:47 pm »
Anything can seem plausible to one who does not understand the concept of computer programming.

Lag wouldn't be a problem at all.

Tremendous amount of glitches would occur that would take twice as long to fix.

It's kind of embarassing seeing some people talk about "0's and 1's" yet have absolutely no idea of how such concepts are handled - especially in a game whose source code hasn't even been released.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline kingof gamez

• Major(1)
  • Zelda
    • SoldatMega
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 02:54:56 am »
i guess ur right but if anyone has an idea of making the animated map concept glitch free and working please post ur ideas here

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 04:37:42 am »
By hiring a team of programmers and/or forcing Michal Marcinkowski to release the source code?

Seriously, there would be problems that would be very, very hard to fix and all whille still keeping the sync up with the server. And, you would also need new features in the Map Editor. I just don't think it'll happen.

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 08:11:05 am »
This wouldn't necessarily be hard to code, but as Toumaz mentioned, it would require the server to synch the vertices. And the game isn't written in frickin' machine code, it's written in Borland Delphi. In addition to all this crap, it would require a new .pms format, which isn't going to happen, because all the old maps would have to be updated.

And I'd rather have him working on Crimson Glory rather than having animated polies.

I do support animated sceneries though. ;)

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
  • All in the mind.
    • Paradigis
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 04:27:57 pm »
whata...i where thinked about moving lifts some months ago :P
i can admit this wouldn't be too easy to programme...remember that you would still be able to use a program like Polyworks or Mapmaker to add a moving object in the map, and yes, it can causes lag in the game.
acutally, it would still be 1's and 0's, just that there'd be more of them and in varying arrangments

hard to program and to much LAG
Interesting. I was unaware that such amount of coding could bring about lag. Is this what hacking does as well? I've been in some situations where there's obviously one present and my fps slow terribly.

As for the animated maps, although it sounds like an alright idea, I think that I like the maps how they are for the moment with everything stationary. Plus, something randomly exploding which wasn't a dropped granade upon approach more than once in more than one area would be quite frustrating to deal with, like land mines in boxes or elevators that would drop suddenly in realistic mode.
[FF|LL|HE[Cide/Decoy/Not Batman!:
[[ 300.91m | sniping distance
[[ 85:0 | kill:death ratio
[[ us.socom | favorite weapon

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 06:46:10 pm »
It wouldn't really mean more lag, since the server would just send packets according to the poly's position every how about half a second? Since you'd already have the map, it could predict where the poly is going to be by using the speed according to the map file, and just update in case of a synchronization error. Still, this would require a map format change, and I don't think that's going to happen.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 06:58:11 pm »
yeah... um... this idea isn't good because... you know like it won't really work cause of coding and lag and bugs and such, so yeah... its a no.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 10:13:56 am »
OH MY GOD. Its just adding poly's that can move. No big fps hit, and pings wont change at all. You dont write code in 1's on 0's, you write it in a similar fasion to simple bbcode (/quote, /color=red, etc) but in different code languages. Yes it will be alot of work, but maps will get even more diverse...imagine race or jumping maps, where the floor falls out below you at regular intervals--or crushes you, etc. Hell, you could have those maps like in "N" where you simply watch your dude slide throughout the map, narrowly avoiding missles...

EDIT: but as said, there could be sync problems  :(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:16:13 am by Kerrazyeye »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:16 am »
it woud also mean hackers such as *** or *** or the guys at Anti-Soldat would find alot of glitches and hacks from the animated maps codes

Read the forum rules.  Post deleted and user warned.

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 11:38:53 am »
OH MY GOD. Its just adding poly's that can move.

...and this simple (cough) task would require a change of the map format, so this is not happening.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »
As Toumaz said—mobile polygons would butcher bot-waypointing as well as every single current default map, as the format would have to be drastically changed to allow them.

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 04:14:58 pm »
well, i was thinking that the current maps wouldn't be touched, and the animated maps would be newer ones.  Also, to prevent the glitchs and such, a team would be put together(out of the more skilled programmers in the Soldat community) to test the features and attempt to prevent forseeable problems with the map editing software, as well as attempting to prevent the unforseeable by writing a guide on some of the things that would cause major problems with the maps during online play.

Offline Lance Corporal

• Major
  • EAT PLASMA
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2006, 11:25:26 am »
i remember when i play starcraft (which i know was designed to trigger maps in the first place, but)

i wonder if its possible to creat a second section of multi player for these maps, you could put new maps in another format and section, and people could code bots according to that format, and the old section would still remain for those without the maps, or maybe some other issue why they can play those.

if that can be done, then the old maps are irrelevant, there would be a whole section for those maps, while a new one is made for the new maps.

albiet, it would be a delapidated section at first, but it would allow things we all would like.

the only issue left are those damn map download errors where one feature simply WILL NOT LOAD! in a trigger map, this would NEED to be dealt with quickly if the section is to survive.

edit: i just realized the experience i've had with most of this audience. so i must say

if you disagree with me, give good reason, dont just say, "hard to code, changes map format, bad idea, trigger maps suck, your a moron."

i mean actual arguements like "how will it support the new section, how will fan map makers get a editor to work for this, is it possible to get seperate codelines for bots to make em work in new maps, your a lazy american."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:33:42 am by Lance Corporal »
Fate is one's way of being a pansy and not being able to take the blame for their own actions, or making excuses not to make the effort to better themselves.

Offline kingof gamez

• Major(1)
  • Zelda
    • SoldatMega
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 08:28:24 am »
y dont u just make maps with not much scenary just like the default soldat maps