Author Topic: What's with the AUG?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
What's with the AUG?
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:42:01 pm »
The AUG has always had a strange feature.  When you fire a burst, the burst's first shot follows the correct trajectory.  But all of the other shots in the burst go too high -- usually above the crosshair.

This has nothing to do with self-bink -- this problem was around long before self-bink, and plus the AUG's self-bink doesn't take effect til the 4th or 5th shot anyway.

This problem only occurs when firing the AUG from the standing position.  It does not occur when firing the AUG from crouch or prone, nor does it occur with any other weapons.

The inconsistent trajectory makes it very hard for me to aim the AUG properly.  Is this an intentional feature?  If so, how do experienced AUG users compensate for it?  If not, how has this gone unnoticed/unfixed?

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
Re: What's with the AUG?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:44:48 pm »
I used to use the steyr a lot and i never really noticed or had a problem with this.  It doesn't happen with any other autos?   :-\

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:48:33 pm »
I used to use the steyr a lot and i never really noticed or had a problem with this. It doesn't happen with any other autos? :-\

Test it for yourself... load up an offline game with no bots, get an AUG and fire single shots and short bursts without moving your crosshair.

And yeah, I did the same test with AK, Minimi, and MP5, and as far as I can tell the AUG is the only auto with this oddity.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:50:34 pm by F3nyx »

Offline Tybs

• Major
  • Slide away!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:52:49 pm »
Im not sure if this problem only occurs with the steyr, but i usually aim a bit below the target... most bullets will hit it then. Or, in some cases, i aim right at the target and click again for each bullet. Depends on the situation.

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 06:03:57 pm »
Small update.  I did a little more testing.  This DOES NOT happen if you're aiming more than ~45 degrees below horizontal.  So if you're firing down at a steep angle, you won't see anything strange.  It does, however, continue to occur if you aim upward at a steep angle.  Go figure.

Im not sure if this problem only occurs with the steyr, but i usually aim a bit below the target... most bullets will hit it then. Or, in some cases, i aim right at the target and click again for each bullet. Depends on the situation.

This demonstrates the problem.  With most guns, you aim above the target, and let gravity do its thing.  If you have to aim below the target to hit it, something's wrong.

Offline PapaSurf

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 06:32:45 pm »
This feature makes the aug MORE accurate when you aim right at the target.  It's an advantage to most players because it compensates for gravity a bit, making it easier to aim.
Check out my new shamelessly self promoted mod HERE

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 06:34:45 pm »
This isn't a "problem" at all. Before self-bink, this automatic upward angle would help your shot hit the target, leaving you not to worry about bullet arc. I've used it like that and gotten fantabulistic results.

Fake Edit: Damn you papasurf
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 08:28:52 pm »
Calling it a "feature" doesn't really explain it.  For instance, why does the first shot have a different trajectory from all the others?  And why don't the other autos have this "feature"?  And why doesn't this "feature" work when crouching or prone?  It doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:31:45 pm by F3nyx »

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 02:02:26 pm »
it only happens to autos w/ the firing interval of 7

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:01:58 pm »
Hmm, 6th account was talking about this earlier. The first bullet goes either too up, or too low, he said, as he couldn't recall how it was.

So it is a bug!
Fight! Win! Prevail!