Author Topic: Another lame registering idea.  (Read 937 times)

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
Another lame registering idea.
« on: October 01, 2006, 01:13:54 am »
It's late and I'm bored and opinionated. This may impair my writing skills oh so very slightly.

I've been here long enough (since the summer) to realize the number of posts regarding a 'registration ' system. So far, none have done more than to suggest a central name filing system.

Rather, I want to try something a little more 'Jabber'. If you don't know, Jabber is an instant messenging protocol with a nifty little feature. It's half server-client, half p2p. Let me explain : like the e-mail system, each person would sign up for an account at a server (e.g. romeo@shakespere.com and juliet@rosieodonnel.com). Then, when sending a message, the client software sends the message directly to the domain (using the jabber protocol, e.g. send 'Hi' to www.rosieodonnel.com), verifies that the name exists, and delivers the message. That's my understanding at least.

Anywho, this is how I think a registering system could work : each server would have their own ways of registering names, whether by automation (first come first server names) to hand picked (sending name to requests to people). This information would be loaded into a standardized database and stored at the server's headquarters. That way whenever someone who doesn't present the correct password (or other means of identification), they are not allowed access to the name or history.

It would expand this way : each server builds a system of trust with other servers, sharing information about their players. Here's a practical example : Romeo signs up at Leo's Realistic Servers, registers his name, and plays a little. Later on that day, he decides to visit U13 Chicago and subsequently pwns hundreds of little people. U13 not having any previous account to store Romeo's information instead contacts Leo's servers (the IP provided by Romeo) and sends them a transcript of the battle (complete with kills, who killed, and names of all sorts, in previously mentioned standard database).

Now that Leo's Realistic has received information, they go aboust making sure it is correct. At the end of the session with U13, Romeo's client automaticaly sends an O.K. message to Leo's system to allow the new information (e.g. allowing 1 communication from U13 Chicago per message). That makes sure that no one intentionaly attempts to bunk Romeo's account, and make him look bad (repeated kill oneself then pass off the records as his).  Leo's server has another mechanism to make sure no fordulant information comes through, this time to improve their score. People may start up their own servers, kill bots, and send off the information to inflate their score. Instead, Leo's Realistic checks a list of verified servers (their IPs), or trusted servers, with which Leo knows the owners will not have helped Romeo bump his score up. Since U13 is on their friendly list, Leo adds the information and all is well.

Now it's late right now, so I can't respond to any replies for another eight or nine hours. I haven't planned out all the contingencies, so if you see a mistake or problem, please point it out. But please stay in the mindset that I'm looking for improvements, not blind insults and non-constructive critisisms, for an idea I had.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
Re: Another lame registering idea.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 01:25:19 am »
No, to centralized, what about dynamic ip addresses(eg, how would you be able to use this with habving dynamic ip addresses also). Would need to be put into the offifcial soldat server code which I doubt enesce would do since there is already the nr service.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 01:49:20 am »
Sorry bro but its not going to happen; that method would not only whore bandwidth to the max, but how would PointA know how to get to PointB? Making the server download a lobby list to get the other servers connection information would lag everything to the max...

Besides, NR² is being integrated into the dedicated server anyway. http://nr.enesce.com

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 12:09:47 pm »
Thanks for lettn' me know about that 'NR' thing, I had no idea it existed :|. I'll just let this thread die now, thanks for the link though.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.