Author Topic: How Do I???...  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Kinky noob

• Camper
  • This is shugo he likes to eat his fingers!
How Do I???...
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:11:18 pm »
How do i make a movie. Because i have no idea how i can do that but i want to BAD. plz help?

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
Re: How Do I???...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:13:39 pm »
you mean a demo, or the kind with a video camera?
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Kinky noob

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:16:12 pm »
is there a way i could record my game as i play with out i camra thats what i need (like a moving screen shot)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:37:05 pm »
I'm not really sure what you ment but when pressing the F8 key while playing. It will start recording a demo untill you press F8 again.
You can also enable autorecord in the Soldat Setup. When you press F8 in game while autorecord is enabled it will save the last minute or two (configurable in the soldat.ini file) of the game. This is very handy for if some cool or funny thing happened.

To watch a demo open the start menu (If you're using windows) and select "run" then type:
C:\Games\Soldat\Soldat.exe -demo name freecam speed notexts extract
(Of course, replace the C:\Games with where you have installed soldat.)

The paramaters are:
name - the demo name
freecam (0/1) - the user can freely change the camera (default 0)
speed (0-...%)- how quick the playback will be specified in percents (default 100%)
notexts (0/1) - no texts, menus or cursor will be displayed during playback (default 0)
extract (0/1) - extracts the demo to BMP files (default 0). Later they can be used to make an AVI file in a program like "Bmp2Avi".
The sound can be extracted with a program like "Total Recorder". Please note that this can take time and is not recommended on slower systems. For better results specify lower speed (like 50%).
I must say that converting the demo that way is a real pain in the ass.
Therefore using a program like fraggy under me noted is much better.

examples:
Soldat.exe -demo demo12
Soldat.exe -demo demo19 1 200 1 0

That was half copied out of the soldat manual, I can advise everybody to read it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:45:58 pm by Flying Dutchman »

Offline Fraggy

• Soldier
  • Mecha 0_o
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:39:02 pm »
if u want to make it a film in the way u can play in winamp or mediaplayer, you should download Camtasia(trail that is, or would u like to buy it for 300$ ^^) then put in on record and play your recorded demo.

but first: GET SOME SKILLLZZZZZZ

Offline Kinky noob

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:20:27 pm »
Yeah

u guys rock!!

THX

F8

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:34:28 am »
Wiki has also covered a great part of Demo recording and playing.

It could still have some improvements regarding autodemo'ing and converting to movie files (using fraps or other tools)

Offline Kinky noob

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:02:37 pm »
Once i make a demo in game how i load it
and where.....

On my media player!?!?

And where can i get that cast thingy?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:04:49 pm by Kinky noob »

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 12:06:41 pm »
http://wiki.soldat.nl/Demo#How_to_play_demo.27s

Read that page to figure out how to play demo's Kinky noob.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 12:09:31 pm »
In general, and this is directed to anyone, please make more descriptive titles for your threads.  Instead of calling it "How do I???..." call it "How do I make a movie?"

This makes people know more easily what the thread is about, and it makes searching the forums a lot more useful, and improves the quality of the results.

Offline DrivenUnder

• Major
  • Im Jess
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 03:58:51 pm »
Heh, I was just about to create a topic on this! So ill just add on here, hopefully ill get some answers...

Ok, I understand the whole taking demos and stuff, and I could possibly edit them on windows media player.

but some questions I have are:

how do I convert the demos into videos which can be played on windows media player or something.
is there a free program which gives me the ability to createe effects such as zooming in or making the demo play faster or slower?

also, how to write stuff or something, do I need to do it by frame? or is there a program?

I simply want FREE programs, im not paying for any of this. Trials are ok I guess.

If you have any more tips please tell me!
Image removed, please read the forum rules.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 05:01:24 pm »
I usually extract the bitmaps with soldat demo player, then import them into adobe primiere.  Of course, Primiere isn't even close to free so I cant help you there.

Offline Kinky noob

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 12:36:46 pm »
In general, and this is directed to anyone, please make more descriptive titles for your threads. Instead of calling it "How do I???..." call it "How do I make a movie?"

This makes people know more easily what the thread is about, and it makes searching the forums a lot more useful, and improves the quality of the results.

OK i will do that now sorry.

Offline Kinky noob

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 12:41:12 pm »
Ok!! Also no one has answerd my question tey.

Offline Yukwunhang

• Major
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 01:51:03 pm »
1. Stop double posting.

2. Yout title is not descriptive enough.

3. Press F8 to record and demo, press F8 again to stop. All demos are in the folder 'Demos' under your Soldat directory. To play a demo, open up soldat, go to the 'Join Game' tab, put the name of the demo in the IP Address box and 0 as port. Get Fraps, open it up, press 'Join Game' in Soldat and press whatever it is to record (Figure it out yourself, it can be found in the options of Fraps). Press the record button again to stop and your recordings will be stored under wherever you installed Fraps. Slap your recordings into a movie editing software and have fun.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 01:57:06 pm »
you can also use an earlier version of fraps, it is freeware, so you never have to pay for it.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan