Author Topic: I don't Understand This...  (Read 1691 times)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
I don't Understand This...
« on: October 21, 2006, 03:03:30 am »
Today I jumped into a R/S CTF server, picked my gun, snuck my way to enemy flag, snatched it and took it back for the win, capped and ended the round. Next thing..."ZOMFG NOOB RUNNER CAPPER" messages come up in chat console....like WTF! :o Its CTF....object of the game = CAPTURE THE GODDAMN FLAG! >:( Why do so many people get so worked up about this? If they want to do straight killing...play R/S Deathmatch!
What are your views on Capping in R/S CTF games?

Just another soul to burn.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
Re: I don't Understand This...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 03:20:06 am »
I'm with you on that. CTF and INF are for running around with flags. If you don't want to run around with flags, pick a game type that doesn't involve it. It's entirely possible to load ctf and inf maps in other game modes, even.

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 04:03:56 am »
People you try to insult you with "Runner" are most probably campers or noobs who can't play.  ;D
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 04:26:23 am »
My guess is that people in R/S CTF servers don't actually want to play CTF.  They want to play 2-team TDM on symmetric maps, and CTF is a decent approximation of that goal, except for those pesky flags.

If only Soldat had 2-team TDM.  4 teams is too messy.

Offline Hans Lemurson

• Major(1)
  • Coined the term "Socomized"
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 05:19:39 am »
Survival-mode + capping =  :(

Generally there aren't really more than 3 people left/team by the time somebody reaches a flag, which really isn't a sufficient density to intercept someone.  Since people don't respawn, defense is generally pretty light, so you can often just walk in and take the flag unopposed.  I must stress this again: Base-defenses generally consist of 0-1 campers who don't respawn when killed.  This isn't like in normal where you have to spawn-kill at least 3 people in order to walk out alive. Compounding these troubles, is that in Realistic mode, your vision is restricted, so often you don't even know where the EFC is until those rat-bastard noobs score.

So that's one issue: Capping is very easy in R/S mode.

The other issue is Drama.  In Survival mode, you're often going to be left at the end, with 1 player on each team.  Victory or defeat for an entire team hinges on just a few bullets.  The last guys are generally the better players too, so you end up with actually a good fight.  R/S fights require levels of craftiness by players that are generally unheard of in other modes.  When was the last time you "outwitted" someone on a Normal server?

Noob-capping ruins this.  If you cap before the end, there is no duel, there is no hunt, there is no tricking and out-maneuvering your opponent.  A nearly  un-interceptable person just suddenly ends it all.

I guess that's really the issue.  In Normal mode, flags get capped every now and then, but don't really disrupt the game flow.  Someone screams "Noooo!!!!", but you just keep on runing towards the enemy base, trying to clear a path through their infinite minions to pluck their treasure from its vault.

In R/S mode, when a flag gets capped, the round ENDS.  Everything you have done, and were planning to do is suddenly wiped clean with a downright antilclimactic noise, and everybody just falls down dead.  Capping interrupts the flow of the game.  It's like you're watching a movie, and the hero sneaking into the villain's castle for the final showdown, when some jerk walks in, pulls the plug saying "Dude, the hero always wins." 
You --> :'(

So in summary, R/S players hate Cappers because: (1) Capping is very easy, and (2) It totally ruins the flow of the game.
May the Lag be with you.

Alt+F1 - F3 are hotkeys for your custom lag settings.
Alt+F4 will disable the lag entirely.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 05:38:54 am »
Survival-mode + capping =  :(
<cut out bs>
So in summary, R/S players hate Cappers because: (1) Capping is very easy, and (2) It totally ruins the flow of the game.

Right...but the point of CTF is to CAP THE FLAG...not to play Deathmatch! Survival mode or not, the game is CTF.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 05:49:05 am »
oh just play TDM and kick any player who gets in charlie/delta team

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 05:54:52 am »
I have a good idea: 2 teams TDM ?
4 teams is like DM with some TKWarns. <ofc if ffrire is on;p >

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 06:24:27 am »
Capping is very easy

Have you tried defending the flag?

Quote from: Hans Lemurson
and (2) It totally ruins the flow of the game.

I always thought captures were part of the Capture the Flag "flow."

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 06:27:32 am »
hell this stuff is annoying me, i'll set up a script that kicks anyone whos saying "runner" on my server :S
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline cr4sh

• Major
  • rawr
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 07:25:27 am »
don't concern yourself with other peoples oppinions.  No matter what people say, the objective is still capture the flag, and if the other team cannot stop you, it's not your fault.  You can do whatever you want in a public server.  They're just jellous  :) .

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 07:32:55 am »
This stuff is old.
Some idiots Dont accept the ''capping'' Because its ''lame''.
We have only ignore those idiots.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:44:28 am by Sotija »

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 10:25:08 am »
It's sort of become standard tradition on most ctf r/s servers not to cap while enemies are still alive, I dont like this because it means that the teams dont have to worry about defending their flag.  It  takes any strategy away from the game and makes it a TM.

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 10:37:47 am »
Yeah, when ever I go on a R/S ctf server and grab the flag, The admin instantly kills me then says "no capping"

Offline capswe

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 10:41:45 am »
i think 'cap is allow' N 'camp is allow'

hate cap???  defence ur flag  they can't cap it
hate camp??? make bink(spraying ur bulliit) or find other way or cap

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 11:47:57 am »
Someone could make a script for R/SCTF servers that doesn't allow people to join charlie or delta. Poof, all R/SCTF servers would become R/STDM, and the runnees would stop whining.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 03:07:54 pm »
Someone could make a script for R/SCTF servers that doesn't allow people to join charlie or delta. Poof, all R/SCTF servers would become R/STDM, and the runnees would stop whining.

Do Alpha and Bravo automatically spawn at bases if you're playing TM on a CTF map?  Cause if so,  yeah, that would be a great solution!

Offline Death MachineX350

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 04:28:43 pm »
This happens to me multiple times and I just tell them "Hey are you stupid? This is CTF not DM." They usually shut up after that for me. And if they don't I add on that they suck because they can't stop me( I'm not that good at R/SCTF) from capping.

Offline Hans Lemurson

• Major(1)
  • Coined the term "Socomized"
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 10:16:50 pm »
I think that part of the issue, as has been brought up previously, is that many R/S players do in fact want to just play a team death-match, and are endeavoring to create an environment where this is what occurs.  People like to play TDM-style because they find it more fun.

Conflict arises when people play CTF in a room that is implicitly a TDM.  Capping is deleterious to a TDM, but CTF is what is stated in the rules.  There is a need for a modified Team-Match that is just for 2 teams and played on 2-team designed maps.  Someone already suggested this,and I do believe it would do much to solve the conflict.
May the Lag be with you.

Alt+F1 - F3 are hotkeys for your custom lag settings.
Alt+F4 will disable the lag entirely.