Author Topic: servers and maps  (Read 962 times)

Offline shoes

• Major(1)
  • C'est un vrai français
servers and maps
« on: January 25, 2007, 03:11:02 pm »
This seemed like an obvious idea to me, so I suspect that either (1) some else has posted it before (i can't find it) or (2) it won't work. For this, I'm thinking about the u13 inf server (i think) in chicago that is fairly popular yet only cycles through the same 5 maps.

So anyhow... the idea is that servers can download a map from a client when that person does a votemap. And then everyone else downloads the map from the server. That way voting for a map the server doesnt have won't be an issue.

And as a bonus, it'll introduce more maps into circulation, so over time the better maps will become the new "default maps" just -like competition in a marketplace- instead of having a default-map-monopoly like we have now

I know next to nothing about computers. Is this possible? what about firewalls and such, are they a huge problem? Will it be too slow...
C'est un vrai français

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
Re: servers and maps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:02:16 pm »
Its possible but not going to be added for obvious implications... eg

I make a map called ctf_x_BeStMapEvAr_1337_69_x --- With a name like that, its bound to get voted.
but its really just a huge texture of Tubgirl and death poly's

Plus, as a server admin I don't want maps I haven't hand-picked being played on my server.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: servers and maps
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 06:46:42 pm »
Its possible but not going to be added for obvious implications... eg

I make a map called ctf_x_BeStMapEvAr_1337_69_x --- With a name like that, its bound to get voted.
but its really just a huge texture of Tubgirl and death poly's

Plus, as a server admin I don't want maps I haven't hand-picked being played on my server.

that is what options are for :P