Author Topic: iPod  (Read 11395 times)

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
Re: iPod
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 10:48:27 am »
Is there any reason at all for you to post that in this thread? 

Are iPod's worth the price. If yes or no, why?

I want some suggestions because I might earn some cash and get one.

Portable mp3 player is not necessary. You'll have to come up with more reasons to use it then actual situations where it will be useful. Simply, if your ever in a situation where you don't give a cap about what compression does to your music then you don't need to be listening to music.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 10:56:33 am »
he's not asking about whether or not he should get an MP3 player at all.  He knows he wants one, he just wants to know whether the iPod is a good choice, and your quote proves this.

Offline JBL

• Major
  • Map Maker
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 11:03:28 am »
no...

a nano had what? one gig? you could have gotten a 40 gig 2-3 years ago going with creative.

creatives are cheaper and better.

1. If ur going to buy an MP3, then you should get an Ipod. I got one and my mom got a creative, and creative sux :/

2. I got an Ipod and stopped using it after  3 weeks cuz it is boring, then I bought a 1 Gig for PSP, and stopped using that after 3 weeks. Both Pointless :(

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006, 11:04:32 am »
the reasons are for long trips, camping out, boredom, sound quality, toughness!

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline Hitman

• Major(1)
    • constantincerdan.com
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 11:49:27 am »
Alright, let me explain why I think an iPod (and iTunes) is great and how it makes my music life easier.

Firstly most of the music I listen to is Ambient and I get it all from the internet radio station Groove Salad (SomaFM) using a nifty little program called Streamripper. It saves all the songs as individual tracks with their proper file names, so whenever I listen to it I always have Streamripper running and saving the tracks. I have acquired hundreds and hundreds of tracks using this method.

Now, this is where iTunes and my iPod come in handy. Every couple of days, or at the end of the week – whenever I get round to doing it really – I make an untitled playlist in iTunes and drag all of the recently saved tracks into it. I then rename all of the artists to Groove Salad so that they're all under one artist (It would be rather confusing and unorganised as every single song is by a different artist). However, if I want to look up the real artist I can just go to the actual file. So, that's all I have to do and iTunes does the rest automatically using Smart Playlists that I have created. These are the Smart Playlists I have for Groove Salad (keep in mind that everything listed below is done automatically by iTunes):

Groove Salad – This is where all of the tracks with the artist Groove Salad go.

Top Groove Salad – This is where all of the songs with a rating of 4 stars or above go.

Unheard Groove Salad – This is one of the most important ones; all of the songs that haven't been listened to yet go into this playlist. This is the one that I listen to most of the time and whenever I hear a good song I give it a rating. If said track receives a rating of 4 or above it goes into Top Groove Salad.

Need Approval Groove Salad – This is equally important. Any song that has a rating of 4 stars or above but has only been listened to once goes into this playlist. I then listen to this playlist to decide if the songs deserve their rating and their place in Top Groove Salad.

This automatic process, which after setting it up, only requires me to rate songs, has resulted in 79 (so far) of the absolutely best Ambient/Chilled out tracks out of hundreds that I've saved. This is my most valued music collection and I (and a lot of my friends – house parties) treasure it dearly.

Everything is set up in iTunes and whenever you plug in your iPod it automatically puts everything (playlists, etc) onto your iPod. When you're on the go and listening to your iPod and rating songs (which is easy as fook – I do most of my listening and rating on my iPod as I'm always out and about), it also does everything automatically and when you plug it back into your computer iTunes updates its songs according to what's been done on the iPod. Easy!

I have been wondering whether I should upload this collection as a torrent as I'm pretty sure some people here would be interested, especially Amblin : )

In short, iPods + iTunes = Music made easier. I highly recommend you get an iPod and if you want great sound get these headphones. They're expensive, but in terms of sound quality I wouldn't care if I had to pay double.

Hope this helps!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 12:08:09 pm »
If you're looking for toughness, then I still reccomend an iPod but not a nano.  If you get any other normal sized iPod and get a case for it, then they're pretty much impossible to damage. 

Personally, I prefer the 3rd generation iPod over any more recent one, it has the fewest moving parts and the best design IMO

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 01:20:27 pm »
Hey hitman and FliesLikeABrick thanks for the helpful info. Now I know more about the additional stuff for iPods and the specifications for it.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2006, 02:45:16 pm »
I really love the design of the mobiBLU cube players. It just got a 2 GB upgrade which is nice, though I still have a difficult time grabbing 2 GB storage for $130 when I can have ten times that or more for under $100 extra. Still neat looking.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2006, 06:44:16 pm »
Ipods have
-CRAP EQs (no change and NO BASS BOOST!)
-CRAP volume control (real quiet)

the scroll thingy on the ipod makes me want to cry/die/instantly throw up/smash it
so bloody annoying cos its too speedy

again - creative is cool

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2006, 07:06:02 pm »
Portable mp3 player is not necessary. You'll have to come up with more reasons to use it then actual situations where it will be useful. Simply, if your ever in a situation where you don't give a cap about what compression does to your music then you don't need to be listening to music.
Some of us go outside once in a while. If you want to carry around your 7.1 speakers while, for example, on the bus, then go ahead.

Offline Hitman

• Major(1)
    • constantincerdan.com
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2006, 08:29:02 pm »

Ipods have
-CRAP EQs (no change and NO BASS BOOST!)
-CRAP volume control (real quiet)

the scroll thingy on the ipod makes me want to cry/die/instantly throw up/smash it
so bloody annoying cos its too speedy

again - creative is cool

iPod's do have EQ's and one of them is a bass booster. You go to Settings - > EQ. Tick tock..

I have heard that iPods bought in the US don't have as high a volume as the Europe ones. Don't ask why, cause I don't know. To solve this problem, simply download GoPod and "release the sound of your iPod". Wahay.

Only a dumbass wouldn't be able to work the iPod scroll thing, it moves at the same speed as your finger. I'll leave you to work that one out.

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2006, 09:11:33 pm »
the reasons are for long trips, camping out, boredom, sound quality, toughness!
I'd recommend a PSP then... mainly if you're going to be camping out and the like... When you get tired of music, atleast you have games and movies to fall back on... Although Ipods keep movies on them, I have no ideas on if they have little java games or whatever.

Oh, I also have a PSP with 1GB space for music, video, and pictures, but the audio quality on it is hardly worth mentioning, and a PSP shouldn't be used primarily as an MP3 player in the first place.
Meh, you're probably right, but it was either that or go back to my dodgy mp3 player. The bloody thing turns itself off if you even tilt it.

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2006, 09:25:39 pm »
Out of the big names in mp3 players, Creative has the best audio quality, and I'm very satisfied with the battery life and storage space;  the dollar to gigabyte ratio is much lower on the creative.

I can only think of two people I know well enough who have iPods, one being a friend and the other a cousin..they've both had to have them replaced.  My cousin's 20GB iPod broke randomly one day, and she stupidly replaced it with an iPod nano.  My friend's 5GB iPod just filled up too quickly and he still can't afford to get anything bigger and regrets spending all that money on something with so little space.

edit:  and as for meeee, I consider myself an audiophile.  At my house I have a 1200$ audio setup on my computer, so that was a big factor in my decision to get a Creative.  A lot of people say that the audio quality advantage Creative has over iPod is hardly noticable, but I very much beg to differ!  iPod, to me, sounds vile in comparison to Creative.  Creative still leaves a lot to be desired, albeit much less than other portable mp3 players, but it's hard to complain about that when...well, when they're portable mp3 players.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:30:26 pm by n00bface »

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2006, 09:39:22 pm »
I'd recommend a PSP then... mainly if you're going to be camping out and the like... When you get tired of music, atleast you have games and movies to fall back on... Although Ipods keep movies on them, I have no ideas on if they have little java games or whatever.
There's an alternate firmware for the iPod, iRiver and several Archos mp3 players that, among other things, lets you play Doom.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:41:04 pm by frogboy »

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2006, 07:15:17 pm »
Thanks for the information yall

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2006, 04:23:02 pm »
hi

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2006, 06:27:54 pm »
modify button, use it. if you want something for entertainment, the creative is still just as good as an Ipod, and it's software doesnt suck. (also cheaper with larger amount of space)
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan