Poll

Do you like this idea?

yes
no

Author Topic: About chainsaw  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
About chainsaw
« on: June 14, 2006, 07:01:50 pm »
I dont speak english, so there i go.

I thing that chain is for far the powerless gun in the game, and is not even near to the others secondary weapons, so very few people use it seriously.
This i suggest:

Chainsaw should be able to be throw, very very close cuz its a heavy weapon, maybe just dropp it. But when you do that it should still keep working and killing others players. Imagine dropping it from the top of a map, near of respanw point and escaping with enemy flag... of course it should be on just a few seconds, but must be enaugh to kill one or two oponnents if it is well placed or dropped while you are flying on the top of the map.

It would be really fun to take their flag, make a rocket jump and leaving behind a chainsaw working... could be even better than throw a couple of grenades.

What you thing?

Offline zaraza

• Soldier
  • *Axeminster!*
Re: About chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 07:05:09 pm »
It has been already suggested.. Knives are for throwing, not chainsaws.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 07:05:55 pm »
its more like dropping it, not throwing... its a diferent idea and use of it.

AaaaaaaahhhHH!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:33:05 pm »
hey guys, maybe keep an open mind here. i think this idea would be very fun :) you can have a choice to use it normally or drop it and let it work by itself, kinda like one of those james bond technologies.

although make it only last for like 10 seconds or so, or so the players can shoot the chainsaw easily.

but it'll be fun and function like a trap.

what do you thing?
it's what do you think

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 09:34:51 pm »
it's a good idea and all, but its kind of easy to avoid a stationary object
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

AaaaaaaahhhHH!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 09:38:52 pm »
exactly, so there won't be any abusing to this, and since the chainsaw's too weak already, this addition might put just a little improvement to it.

maybe it'll be used to lose chasers in tunnels, they'll either not reacting fast enough and die or they'll have to stop and shoot it. a getaway weapon. or a suprise drop like he suggested, drop it from above in reaslistic mode  ;D

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:09:33 pm »
I could imagine someone dropping the chainsaw on the flag when they're almost dead making it harder for the enemy to grab the flag and allowing enough time to respawn.

Could get annoying.

Offline zaraza

• Soldier
  • *Axeminster!*
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 06:37:33 am »
Imagine how it would look like in real live. Guy is running away with flag and he drop his working chain saw. Now the pursuer see a lying on the ground, red, noisy chainsaw. He has plenty of space to overrun it. He also has jets so he can fly above it. How big are the chances that pursuer will run through that chainsaw and deal himself ANY damage?

AaaaaaaahhhHH!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 01:08:09 pm »
because chainsaw already sucks, so why would it hurt to add some advantages to it?

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 01:37:47 pm »
Throwing a chainsaw?  Ridiculous!

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 06:51:08 pm »

what do you thing?
it's what do you think

that happens because sometimes a made the mistake of write in english like i say it in spanish :P

An someone told, and i cant be more agree:
"and since the chainsaw's too weak already, this addition might put just a little improvement to it."

Thats exactly the idea behind this.

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 07:47:12 pm »
As someone who uses the chainsaw a lot, I can tell you this:  if there is anything holding it back, it's that hits often don't register.

Sure, every weapon's like that; but the chainsaw really suffers for it, since you basically have to be on top of the target--which usually involves passing/approaching them at high speed--and you only get one shot at killing them.  With every attempt at getting to the target being extremely risky (especially against shotguns, as they kill all your momentum), the chainsaw is a weapon that depends a lot on making every hit count.

Of course, to topple such a problem would require tackling the monstrous net code, so it's not about to happen.

An alternative solution wouldn't be this chainsaw-dropping thing.  A slight increase in range might be of some help, but anything fancy would only be detrimental to the weapon's style and function.

In the end, it's unlikely that anything's gonna happen, though--and it really doesn't need to.  I still find the chainsaw to be a viable and, more importantly, fun weapon to use.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 07:56:42 pm »
Yeah I agree that it wouldn't hurt to give the chainsaw something. You wouldn't be able to throw it that far. This idea would just make it more realistic in the sense that it doesn't need to be held to run. And NO, that it needs someone to press the power button isn't a barrier.
What would also be cool would be being able to cut into the landscape... like dig a tunnel to their base with chainsaws! It would be cool for when you just wanna explore the map rather than kill ppl. Then again, it would be cheap and annoying for the blue team in Inf games.

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 03:10:25 am »
I like it. A dropped chainsaw wouldn't run for very long, so I don't think it could be abused. I'd love to be running away with a flag and drop the chainsaw to kill anyone chasing me :)

And people, please, stop complaining about the idea of 'throwing' a chainsaw. That's not what he's asking for.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 04:17:49 am »
As someone who uses the chainsaw a lot, I can tell you this:  if there is anything holding it back, it's that hits often don't register.

I completely agree. The Ruger suffers a similar problem, but it's not nearly as damaging as chainsaw misses are given that you're forced to charge in at point blank range to use it, putting yourself under enemy attack for a kill. I do believe that's more the fault of lag (see the "I survived three knife hits cause I'm awesome" thread) and that affects every weapon, but that kills the chainsaw because of its very short range.

I don't care for the dropped chainsaw idea, but logically it'd just run like normal until it's out of fuel. People cheering on this idea can look forward to a future where enemy flags are landmined with chainsaws.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 05:06:10 am »
How am i supposed to throw and catch it?!

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:04 pm »
How am i supposed to throw and catch it?!

it should work very similar to drop any primary weapon, and with the same button. Cath it? same as any weapon still it does not working yet. But it should keep ,killing/working just the remaining reload.hing like that.

The fundamental idea is give something to the chainsaw. Make it more competitive.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 01:59:18 pm »
Really though, the throwing the chainsaw idea will just make it a knife with fuel -- ie. redundant. The ability to throw it and left it continue to kill while even on the ground then makes it better than the knife, since it'll then do everything the knife does plus more. The chainsaw as it is designed is fine. It's just that bugs/lag/server issues weaken it.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:21:08 pm »
ITS DROPPING NOT THROWING...

It gives a very different use, knife can cross all the screen when you throw it, a chain should just fall... a huge difference.

Offline Juggernaut

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 03:25:56 pm »
these people can't read Selknam  ;D

i say it's a great idea.
it will add a different use to the chainsaw.

afterall, all the secondary weapons are supposed to be used not mainly for kill but for supporting advantages.

socom is to finish off enemies. knife is also to finish off, also for close range 1 hit kills. law is for long range shots, 1 hit kill of course, also camping too.

now the chainsaw can be used for killing and a trap-like tool

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 03:43:08 pm »
cuz its a heavy weapon
No not really.
Haven't you ever seen people juggle chainsaws?
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 05:28:02 pm »
this is excellent.

imagine your legging it with the flag and you've got like 2/3 people running after you - as soon as they get real close drop the chainsaw and watch the limbs fly. :D

it would be fun to see it go a bit spastic on the ground to - like jerk around

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 04:59:51 am »

It gives a very different use, knife can cross all the screen when you throw it, a chain should just fall... a huge difference.

A "falling" dropped weapon from in the air would have the same effect as a "thrown" weapon. Momentum, position, and height come into play, and I wouldn't be surprised if it the "dropped" chainsaw could be "thrown," similar to how the M79 can actually have full screen range despite its designed short range use. Even without a full horizontal or above range, that would be encroaching on the knife with the bonus of being a landmine, too.

This would also interfere with weapon pick-ups after a death, I think. You want to kill people following you with a ground based weapon? Just use a grenade. Easy as that.

Edit:

these people can't read Selknam  ;D
Yep. Maybe someone can teach him? :)
Chainsaw should be able to be throw, very very close cuz its a heavy weapon, maybe just dropp it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:17:45 am by Mr. Domino »

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 08:08:26 am »
I like it. Why not add a harmless twist.

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 09:07:28 am »
i geuss it could be helpful in some situations(after reading some suggestions i never thought of, im gonna have to flip-flop,a little) but overall, i dont think it will be a huge difference. The saw IMO will always be a niche weapon
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 11:19:44 am »
This is a very good idea. :)

It's the exact same thing as laying down a temporary, constantly killing but non-exploding grenade, but using your own secondary weapon instead of one. For those who say that Chainsaw-users will drop it over loose flags before they die, it's just like a grenade! Tap right-click! and just fetch it if you're aware of the 'saw!

@Eagles_Arrows: he put "drop," not "throw." You can throw a Chainsaw that far? :o

@T-Bone: aye, it won't be a huge difference, but it'll be something. It'd also be funny for movies ;D

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 12:55:35 pm »
It's the exact same thing as laying down a temporary, constantly killing but non-exploding grenade, but using your own secondary weapon instead of one. For those who say that Chainsaw-users will drop it over loose flags before they die, it's just like a grenade! Tap right-click! and just fetch it if you're aware of the 'saw!

My concern, from what most here seem to be wanting, is that 1) flags will always be boobytrapped with chainsaws, making them impossible to grab by the enemy, and 2) it will be impossible to grab a chainsaw from a defeated enemy, since contact will kill you. This ruins the ability to confiscate weapons in-game. Grenades are limited in supply and expire quickly; chainsaws are as plentiful as a person is willing to respawn, and a dropped item remains on the ground quite a bit longer than a grenade.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 05:15:59 pm »

these people can't read Selknam ;D
Yep. Maybe someone can teach him? :)
Chainsaw should be able to be throw, very very close cuz its a heavy weapon, maybe just dropp it.

dont stay in that kind of details, i first say that i dont speak english, thnats why i tried to explain as well i can my idea. -.-*

and most of all, nothing that you say should happens, dont forget that the idea incluid a short working time, probably just the remaining reload. So how you could be impossible to grab the flag if the chain would be on just a couple of seconds. The same with your second point. But this is something that should determine the posibles beta tester if somtime an idea like this is considerate
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:19:38 pm by Selknam »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 05:49:38 pm »
Mr. Domino, Selknam is suggesting that the Chainsaw goes off only if you drop it while holding left-click; that way the 'saw stays on only for the remainder of its "ammo" (which could also explain why you'd need to reload it upon picking it up). It's not for ever, not even for 5 seconds.

And if a flag is booby-trapped... like I said... :P just tap right-click and jet-hover over it. The flag isn't that small ;)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 04:45:01 am »
dont stay in that kind of details, i first say that i dont speak english, thnats why i tried to explain as well i can my idea. -.-*

I know. I'm kidding.  :P

Mr. Domino, Selknam is suggesting that the Chainsaw goes off only if you drop it while holding left-click; that way the 'saw stays on only for the remainder of its "ammo" (which could also explain why you'd need to reload it upon picking it up). It's not for ever, not even for 5 seconds.

Holding down the left mouse button for a brief landmine effect would stop the user from switching to another weapon, which seems like a poor choice to me. With the vast majority of people bunnyhopping as it is, I think the impact of such a move would be minimal at best and better served by grenades, which would have the benefit of splash damage to catch chasing bunnyhoppers.

I'm not entirely against this addition as I may seem. :) I see it as a worthless move better served by other strategies and weapons, but a number here seem to like it. The only good use I see out is dropping on the flag, since the constant respawns would allow the "landsaw" to overcome that five second or so timer.

And if a flag is booby-trapped... like I said... :P just tap right-click and jet-hover over it. The flag isn't that small ;)

Good luck doing that kind of precision retrieval while under a grenade storm on Kampf.  ;)

Anyway, I've already posted my disagreements here, so I'm done. No need to continue being a party pooper just because I don't like an idea. :)

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 09:10:55 am »
Good idea.Want to implent

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 10:44:27 am »
... Good luck doing that kind of precision retrieval while under a grenade storm on Kampf....

Darn you. :(

Offline Spasm

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF Owner
    • Elite CTF
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 11:30:02 am »
I find it hard to be logical because of the fact it's a 2d game.  A chainsaw on the ground, is about as effective as a dead soldier still holding his gun. All that would really have to be done to avoid it, is step right to the side.  (Being that this is 2d, stepping to the side isn't possible..so it's not really fair.)..I agree with the weakness of the weapon, but every map has weapons that will own and weapons that won't.  The difference between using a Chainsaw in CTF_Run and CTF_Ash are extremely significant in power of the weapon.
Owner/Founder- Elite CTF -  http://elitectf.com
OwnedVision - http://ownedvision.com
--An EliteCTF Production.
Snipe & Slice - Saw & Law - One Shots

Offline Juggernaut

• Major(1)
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 11:44:36 am »

A "falling" dropped weapon from in the air would have the same effect as a "thrown" weapon.
Momentum, position, and height come into play, and I wouldn't be surprised if it the "dropped" chainsaw could be "thrown," similar to how the M79 can actually have full screen range despite its designed short range use. Even without a full horizontal or above range, that would be encroaching on the knife with the bonus of being a landmine, too.

how's about, you go learn the difference between press f when using a knife and hold down f when use it. see how many kills you can get with each.

The difference between using a Chainsaw in CTF_Run and CTF_Ash are extremely significant in power of the weapon.

uh huh..the difference is 3 kills, 0 on ctf_run, and 3 on ctf_ash.
even the chainsaw masters can only kills because his enemies are not caution enough and can always be suprised.
if you've seen the "master chainsaw arena" video, you'd know even though the kills are impressive, all of the kills on the video are because of the unawareness of the enemy when a chainsaw suddenly drops in front of them.

same idea, if we make the chainsaw also act like a trap, it won't go on multi kill of course...but it just might catch a few people off gaurd.
and i think as long as it can kill someone, then it is not useless.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 11:47:35 am by Juggernaut »

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 06:15:51 pm »
Thing is, you have to actually drop the chainsaw in order to make use of such a feature.  If you're going to throw your secondary away, you might as well just use a knife.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 09:08:08 pm »
Why doesn't M.M just crank up saw power for next version so it will be more effective killing?

Offline -WildBill-

• Camper
  • Extra-Medium
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 05:34:50 pm »
lol, ever held a chainsaw? know how it works? the blade spins when you pull the trigger. if the chainsaw goes out of your hand you can no longer pull the trigger, therefore the blade no longer spins, and therefore is nothing more than a deadweight being hurled at your oponent like a rock or other moderatley heavy object. your oponent could then in turn pick it up (trigegr now in his hand, chain now works lol) and charges you as you attempt to guard your pathetic life with nothign more than your bare hands, as you practically give him your weapon. just my thoughts though... and btw, what language do you speak? youre not bad at english :)
lol siggeh deleted for the 7th time! that's like a new record or something, ain't it?

Offline Freen

• Major(1)
  • z0m6i3 1n\/a5i0n!!1
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 01:52:39 pm »
It is a great idea and it would improve the game but lets not forget it could take a long time to 'program' soldat the right way so that this would work, and patches aren't released every day.

Offline Dark Jesus

• Soldier
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 02:05:27 pm »
i disagree
im actually pretty good wit chainsaw, and i think tat teh chansaws fine, if you run thru a guy with it on then, u get that kill
throwign it would make it unfair
it takes practice to get good with it

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 02:31:45 pm »
The chainsaw is meant to be a melee weapon.  That's all.  The chainsaw is overpowered on small maps and underpowered on large maps.  If you don't like its lack of range on a large map, DON'T USE IT.  Part of being good at Soldat is understanding when it's best to use one weapon and when it's best to use another.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline NinjaXrage

• Major(1)
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2006, 04:02:43 am »
Just make it cut ya legs off or sometin. Oh like im just gotta prone on top of a chainsaw and get my head cut off.

Offline Chunky

• Major(1)
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 03:16:05 am »
welll... iv herd ov this sugestion before and i think this is a bad idea. if your good at sawing u will agree with me.
«ЄĦũňĶ¥»™

ingame: <Chunky>

Offline shoes

• Major(1)
  • C'est un vrai français
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2006, 08:22:49 pm »
saying the knife is for throwing is like saying the grenades are for throwing. I think this idea is much better than doing nothing at all.

but people will be annoyed. infact, the chainsaw will become the new noob weapon if this is done.

Allow me to make a prediction now-the term "chain monkey" will diffuse into soldat from unreal to describe people who get cheap kills this way.

Actually, i would rather have the chainsaw have one hit kills than creating odd additions like this. But hey, gotta keep an open mind.
C'est un vrai français

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2006, 10:16:35 pm »
The chainsaw rocks way more than knife or LAW. My only issue with it is that is doesn't instant kill sometimes, which is very annoying.

Offline H31MU7

• Major
  • BOOM HEADSHOT!!!
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2006, 11:48:44 pm »
I am insulted by people abusing the chainsaw, It is an exalent weapon in non realistic servers, in tunnels expecaily. Best kill I have done with a saw is a multi kill. The chainsaw can be just as effective as any other weapons just depends on the user and how quike they are.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2006, 02:43:28 am »
well the best way is to make the chainsaw shoot m79 grenades all across the map when you lay it down, haha. anyways i dont really like the idea because this is impossible to do irl

Offline Ivarska

• Camper
  • I came to the world with the barret in my hand
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2006, 10:19:59 am »
i like the idea, drop the chainsaw and it keeps saw in about 5 seconds. but if you drop it forward it should only come about same length like you just drop a weapon. good idea ;D

and yes, it is possible to do in real
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 10:22:02 am by Ivarska »