Poll

Do you like this idea?

yes
no

Author Topic: About chainsaw  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Re: About chainsaw
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 03:43:08 pm »
cuz its a heavy weapon
No not really.
Haven't you ever seen people juggle chainsaws?
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 05:28:02 pm »
this is excellent.

imagine your legging it with the flag and you've got like 2/3 people running after you - as soon as they get real close drop the chainsaw and watch the limbs fly. :D

it would be fun to see it go a bit spastic on the ground to - like jerk around

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 04:59:51 am »
ITS DROPPING NOT THROWING...

It gives a very different use, knife can cross all the screen when you throw it, a chain should just fall... a huge difference.

A "falling" dropped weapon from in the air would have the same effect as a "thrown" weapon. Momentum, position, and height come into play, and I wouldn't be surprised if it the "dropped" chainsaw could be "thrown," similar to how the M79 can actually have full screen range despite its designed short range use. Even without a full horizontal or above range, that would be encroaching on the knife with the bonus of being a landmine, too.

This would also interfere with weapon pick-ups after a death, I think. You want to kill people following you with a ground based weapon? Just use a grenade. Easy as that.

Edit:

these people can't read Selknam  ;D
Yep. Maybe someone can teach him? :)
Chainsaw should be able to be throw, very very close cuz its a heavy weapon, maybe just dropp it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:17:45 am by Mr. Domino »

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 08:08:26 am »
I like it. Why not add a harmless twist.

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 09:07:28 am »
i geuss it could be helpful in some situations(after reading some suggestions i never thought of, im gonna have to flip-flop,a little) but overall, i dont think it will be a huge difference. The saw IMO will always be a niche weapon
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 11:19:44 am »
This is a very good idea. :)

It's the exact same thing as laying down a temporary, constantly killing but non-exploding grenade, but using your own secondary weapon instead of one. For those who say that Chainsaw-users will drop it over loose flags before they die, it's just like a grenade! Tap right-click! and just fetch it if you're aware of the 'saw!

@Eagles_Arrows: he put "drop," not "throw." You can throw a Chainsaw that far? :o

@T-Bone: aye, it won't be a huge difference, but it'll be something. It'd also be funny for movies ;D

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 12:55:35 pm »
It's the exact same thing as laying down a temporary, constantly killing but non-exploding grenade, but using your own secondary weapon instead of one. For those who say that Chainsaw-users will drop it over loose flags before they die, it's just like a grenade! Tap right-click! and just fetch it if you're aware of the 'saw!

My concern, from what most here seem to be wanting, is that 1) flags will always be boobytrapped with chainsaws, making them impossible to grab by the enemy, and 2) it will be impossible to grab a chainsaw from a defeated enemy, since contact will kill you. This ruins the ability to confiscate weapons in-game. Grenades are limited in supply and expire quickly; chainsaws are as plentiful as a person is willing to respawn, and a dropped item remains on the ground quite a bit longer than a grenade.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 05:15:59 pm »

these people can't read Selknam ;D
Yep. Maybe someone can teach him? :)
Chainsaw should be able to be throw, very very close cuz its a heavy weapon, maybe just dropp it.

dont stay in that kind of details, i first say that i dont speak english, thnats why i tried to explain as well i can my idea. -.-*

and most of all, nothing that you say should happens, dont forget that the idea incluid a short working time, probably just the remaining reload. So how you could be impossible to grab the flag if the chain would be on just a couple of seconds. The same with your second point. But this is something that should determine the posibles beta tester if somtime an idea like this is considerate
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:19:38 pm by Selknam »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 05:49:38 pm »
Mr. Domino, Selknam is suggesting that the Chainsaw goes off only if you drop it while holding left-click; that way the 'saw stays on only for the remainder of its "ammo" (which could also explain why you'd need to reload it upon picking it up). It's not for ever, not even for 5 seconds.

And if a flag is booby-trapped... like I said... :P just tap right-click and jet-hover over it. The flag isn't that small ;)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 04:45:01 am »
dont stay in that kind of details, i first say that i dont speak english, thnats why i tried to explain as well i can my idea. -.-*

I know. I'm kidding.  :P

Mr. Domino, Selknam is suggesting that the Chainsaw goes off only if you drop it while holding left-click; that way the 'saw stays on only for the remainder of its "ammo" (which could also explain why you'd need to reload it upon picking it up). It's not for ever, not even for 5 seconds.

Holding down the left mouse button for a brief landmine effect would stop the user from switching to another weapon, which seems like a poor choice to me. With the vast majority of people bunnyhopping as it is, I think the impact of such a move would be minimal at best and better served by grenades, which would have the benefit of splash damage to catch chasing bunnyhoppers.

I'm not entirely against this addition as I may seem. :) I see it as a worthless move better served by other strategies and weapons, but a number here seem to like it. The only good use I see out is dropping on the flag, since the constant respawns would allow the "landsaw" to overcome that five second or so timer.

And if a flag is booby-trapped... like I said... :P just tap right-click and jet-hover over it. The flag isn't that small ;)

Good luck doing that kind of precision retrieval while under a grenade storm on Kampf.  ;)

Anyway, I've already posted my disagreements here, so I'm done. No need to continue being a party pooper just because I don't like an idea. :)

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 09:10:55 am »
Good idea.Want to implent

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 10:44:27 am »
... Good luck doing that kind of precision retrieval while under a grenade storm on Kampf....

Darn you. :(

Offline Spasm

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF Owner
    • Elite CTF
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 11:30:02 am »
I find it hard to be logical because of the fact it's a 2d game.  A chainsaw on the ground, is about as effective as a dead soldier still holding his gun. All that would really have to be done to avoid it, is step right to the side.  (Being that this is 2d, stepping to the side isn't possible..so it's not really fair.)..I agree with the weakness of the weapon, but every map has weapons that will own and weapons that won't.  The difference between using a Chainsaw in CTF_Run and CTF_Ash are extremely significant in power of the weapon.
Owner/Founder- Elite CTF -  http://elitectf.com
OwnedVision - http://ownedvision.com
--An EliteCTF Production.
Snipe & Slice - Saw & Law - One Shots

Offline Juggernaut

• Major(1)
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 11:44:36 am »

It gives a very different use, knife can cross all the screen when you throw it, a chain should just fall... a huge difference.

A "falling" dropped weapon from in the air would have the same effect as a "thrown" weapon.
Momentum, position, and height come into play, and I wouldn't be surprised if it the "dropped" chainsaw could be "thrown," similar to how the M79 can actually have full screen range despite its designed short range use. Even without a full horizontal or above range, that would be encroaching on the knife with the bonus of being a landmine, too.

how's about, you go learn the difference between press f when using a knife and hold down f when use it. see how many kills you can get with each.

The difference between using a Chainsaw in CTF_Run and CTF_Ash are extremely significant in power of the weapon.

uh huh..the difference is 3 kills, 0 on ctf_run, and 3 on ctf_ash.
even the chainsaw masters can only kills because his enemies are not caution enough and can always be suprised.
if you've seen the "master chainsaw arena" video, you'd know even though the kills are impressive, all of the kills on the video are because of the unawareness of the enemy when a chainsaw suddenly drops in front of them.

same idea, if we make the chainsaw also act like a trap, it won't go on multi kill of course...but it just might catch a few people off gaurd.
and i think as long as it can kill someone, then it is not useless.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 11:47:35 am by Juggernaut »

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 06:15:51 pm »
Thing is, you have to actually drop the chainsaw in order to make use of such a feature.  If you're going to throw your secondary away, you might as well just use a knife.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 09:08:08 pm »
Why doesn't M.M just crank up saw power for next version so it will be more effective killing?

Offline -WildBill-

• Camper
  • Extra-Medium
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 05:34:50 pm »
lol, ever held a chainsaw? know how it works? the blade spins when you pull the trigger. if the chainsaw goes out of your hand you can no longer pull the trigger, therefore the blade no longer spins, and therefore is nothing more than a deadweight being hurled at your oponent like a rock or other moderatley heavy object. your oponent could then in turn pick it up (trigegr now in his hand, chain now works lol) and charges you as you attempt to guard your pathetic life with nothign more than your bare hands, as you practically give him your weapon. just my thoughts though... and btw, what language do you speak? youre not bad at english :)
lol siggeh deleted for the 7th time! that's like a new record or something, ain't it?

Offline Freen

• Major(1)
  • z0m6i3 1n\/a5i0n!!1
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 01:52:39 pm »
It is a great idea and it would improve the game but lets not forget it could take a long time to 'program' soldat the right way so that this would work, and patches aren't released every day.

Offline Dark Jesus

• Soldier
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 02:05:27 pm »
i disagree
im actually pretty good wit chainsaw, and i think tat teh chansaws fine, if you run thru a guy with it on then, u get that kill
throwign it would make it unfair
it takes practice to get good with it

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 02:31:45 pm »
The chainsaw is meant to be a melee weapon.  That's all.  The chainsaw is overpowered on small maps and underpowered on large maps.  If you don't like its lack of range on a large map, DON'T USE IT.  Part of being good at Soldat is understanding when it's best to use one weapon and when it's best to use another.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.