Poll

Do you like this idea?

yes
no

Author Topic: About chainsaw  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
About chainsaw
« on: June 14, 2006, 07:01:50 pm »
I dont speak english, so there i go.

I thing that chain is for far the powerless gun in the game, and is not even near to the others secondary weapons, so very few people use it seriously.
This i suggest:

Chainsaw should be able to be throw, very very close cuz its a heavy weapon, maybe just dropp it. But when you do that it should still keep working and killing others players. Imagine dropping it from the top of a map, near of respanw point and escaping with enemy flag... of course it should be on just a few seconds, but must be enaugh to kill one or two oponnents if it is well placed or dropped while you are flying on the top of the map.

It would be really fun to take their flag, make a rocket jump and leaving behind a chainsaw working... could be even better than throw a couple of grenades.

What you thing?

Offline zaraza

• Soldier
  • *Axeminster!*
Re: About chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 07:05:09 pm »
It has been already suggested.. Knives are for throwing, not chainsaws.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 07:05:55 pm »
its more like dropping it, not throwing... its a diferent idea and use of it.

AaaaaaaahhhHH!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:33:05 pm »
hey guys, maybe keep an open mind here. i think this idea would be very fun :) you can have a choice to use it normally or drop it and let it work by itself, kinda like one of those james bond technologies.

although make it only last for like 10 seconds or so, or so the players can shoot the chainsaw easily.

but it'll be fun and function like a trap.

what do you thing?
it's what do you think

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 09:34:51 pm »
it's a good idea and all, but its kind of easy to avoid a stationary object
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

AaaaaaaahhhHH!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 09:38:52 pm »
exactly, so there won't be any abusing to this, and since the chainsaw's too weak already, this addition might put just a little improvement to it.

maybe it'll be used to lose chasers in tunnels, they'll either not reacting fast enough and die or they'll have to stop and shoot it. a getaway weapon. or a suprise drop like he suggested, drop it from above in reaslistic mode  ;D

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:09:33 pm »
I could imagine someone dropping the chainsaw on the flag when they're almost dead making it harder for the enemy to grab the flag and allowing enough time to respawn.

Could get annoying.

Offline zaraza

• Soldier
  • *Axeminster!*
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 06:37:33 am »
Imagine how it would look like in real live. Guy is running away with flag and he drop his working chain saw. Now the pursuer see a lying on the ground, red, noisy chainsaw. He has plenty of space to overrun it. He also has jets so he can fly above it. How big are the chances that pursuer will run through that chainsaw and deal himself ANY damage?

AaaaaaaahhhHH!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 01:08:09 pm »
because chainsaw already sucks, so why would it hurt to add some advantages to it?

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 01:37:47 pm »
Throwing a chainsaw?  Ridiculous!

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 06:51:08 pm »

what do you thing?
it's what do you think

that happens because sometimes a made the mistake of write in english like i say it in spanish :P

An someone told, and i cant be more agree:
"and since the chainsaw's too weak already, this addition might put just a little improvement to it."

Thats exactly the idea behind this.

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 07:47:12 pm »
As someone who uses the chainsaw a lot, I can tell you this:  if there is anything holding it back, it's that hits often don't register.

Sure, every weapon's like that; but the chainsaw really suffers for it, since you basically have to be on top of the target--which usually involves passing/approaching them at high speed--and you only get one shot at killing them.  With every attempt at getting to the target being extremely risky (especially against shotguns, as they kill all your momentum), the chainsaw is a weapon that depends a lot on making every hit count.

Of course, to topple such a problem would require tackling the monstrous net code, so it's not about to happen.

An alternative solution wouldn't be this chainsaw-dropping thing.  A slight increase in range might be of some help, but anything fancy would only be detrimental to the weapon's style and function.

In the end, it's unlikely that anything's gonna happen, though--and it really doesn't need to.  I still find the chainsaw to be a viable and, more importantly, fun weapon to use.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 07:56:42 pm »
Yeah I agree that it wouldn't hurt to give the chainsaw something. You wouldn't be able to throw it that far. This idea would just make it more realistic in the sense that it doesn't need to be held to run. And NO, that it needs someone to press the power button isn't a barrier.
What would also be cool would be being able to cut into the landscape... like dig a tunnel to their base with chainsaws! It would be cool for when you just wanna explore the map rather than kill ppl. Then again, it would be cheap and annoying for the blue team in Inf games.

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 03:10:25 am »
I like it. A dropped chainsaw wouldn't run for very long, so I don't think it could be abused. I'd love to be running away with a flag and drop the chainsaw to kill anyone chasing me :)

And people, please, stop complaining about the idea of 'throwing' a chainsaw. That's not what he's asking for.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 04:17:49 am »
As someone who uses the chainsaw a lot, I can tell you this:  if there is anything holding it back, it's that hits often don't register.

I completely agree. The Ruger suffers a similar problem, but it's not nearly as damaging as chainsaw misses are given that you're forced to charge in at point blank range to use it, putting yourself under enemy attack for a kill. I do believe that's more the fault of lag (see the "I survived three knife hits cause I'm awesome" thread) and that affects every weapon, but that kills the chainsaw because of its very short range.

I don't care for the dropped chainsaw idea, but logically it'd just run like normal until it's out of fuel. People cheering on this idea can look forward to a future where enemy flags are landmined with chainsaws.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 05:06:10 am »
How am i supposed to throw and catch it?!

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:04 pm »
How am i supposed to throw and catch it?!

it should work very similar to drop any primary weapon, and with the same button. Cath it? same as any weapon still it does not working yet. But it should keep ,killing/working just the remaining reload.hing like that.

The fundamental idea is give something to the chainsaw. Make it more competitive.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 01:59:18 pm »
Really though, the throwing the chainsaw idea will just make it a knife with fuel -- ie. redundant. The ability to throw it and left it continue to kill while even on the ground then makes it better than the knife, since it'll then do everything the knife does plus more. The chainsaw as it is designed is fine. It's just that bugs/lag/server issues weaken it.

Offline Selknam

• Major
  • Chile!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:21:08 pm »
ITS DROPPING NOT THROWING...

It gives a very different use, knife can cross all the screen when you throw it, a chain should just fall... a huge difference.

Offline Juggernaut

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 03:25:56 pm »
these people can't read Selknam  ;D

i say it's a great idea.
it will add a different use to the chainsaw.

afterall, all the secondary weapons are supposed to be used not mainly for kill but for supporting advantages.

socom is to finish off enemies. knife is also to finish off, also for close range 1 hit kills. law is for long range shots, 1 hit kill of course, also camping too.

now the chainsaw can be used for killing and a trap-like tool