Author Topic: Zero's Reasonably Sensible Suggestions  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
Zero's Reasonably Sensible Suggestions
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:01:54 am »
I posted these before, and they received a lot of positive feedback for a while, but that was a long time ago, and we're on a new forum, so...

1. Realistic Mode: Roll to reduce fall damage

When I first tried out Realistic Mode, the first thing I did was try to roll to keep from breaking my legs after a big fall, but it didn't work, to my disappointment. That's not hugely realistic, you see. I'm not saying you should be able to survive a 90-storey drop by putting some slack in your knees, but perhaps fall damage could be reduced by half or so by rolling, or possibly negated entirely for some shorter falls.

2. Improved dismemberment (optional?)

Currently, you can blow off arms at the elbows, legs at the knees, and heads, but that's it, even though the gostek clearly has many more joints than that. It would be nice to see entire legs tumbling out of big explosions, or to blow somebody in half at the waist with a well-placed Barret shot. I'm no programming or computer whiz, so I don't really know whether or not that would place more strain on a computer, but I don't think it would. Either way, I think this should be made optional.

3. Less disruptive idle animations

I'd like to be able to free up one hand to do stuff like eat nachos or pick my nose (preferably not at the same time, mind ye) without my soldier deciding he desperately needs a cigar and cementing his feet to the ground so he can light one up. Idle animations should be cancelled by any key input, not just a gunshot, because it's a little inconvenient to have to fire your gun to get out of it if you're holding an M79 or Barrett.

On a related note, I'd like to be able to do the head-scratch animation at will. :)

Offline Oosband

• Major(1)
  • .SC|Oosband
    • .SC|Clan Website
Re: Zero's Reasonably Sensible Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 05:21:25 am »
I like suggestion one, as a keen freerunner rolling is something I have to a lot of the time to avoid injury. That said, I do think it will make realistic mode even more challenging...I don't play too much realistic so I'll leave that suggestion to the realistic player.

I already thought suggestion two was in the game? Maybe I just don't pay too much attention to the body parts.

And yeah, that cigar break gets me killed quite a few times, especially after just writing a large sentance.
http://www.sc.oosbandz.com <-- .SC|Clan Website [Check It Out]

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 05:44:25 am »
Roll to reduce fall damage:

Fall damage is currently very buggy ( just think of what happens if you try to slide down along a wall.... ), and this could cause even more bugs: you get damaged at the moment you hit the ground, with this, you'd probably loose health a few milliseconds later, because Soldat checks whetever you rolled or not. That way a lot of 'lag-like' deaths could occour, which is a no no. ( Mind you, if there would be a reasonable way to implement this, I'd be all for it )

Dismemberment: The more the marrier.

Less disruptive idle animations: If you don't play, you'll be dying anyway, the current one second it takes for an animation to end isn't that annoying.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:24:03 am »
Tap whatever your throw grenade button is for a quick second and it will cancel the idle animation.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 11:59:54 am »
Improved dismemberment *thumbs up*

I think when you chainsaw someone an arm/head/leg should go flying in some direction ;D

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 12:18:43 pm »
I like ideas 1 and 3

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 02:02:55 pm »
Tap whatever your throw grenade button is for a quick second and it will cancel the idle animation.
Ah. Ok, that works, I guess.
Fall damage is currently very buggy ( just think of what happens if you try to slide down along a wall.... ), and this could cause even more bugs: you get damaged at the moment you hit the ground, with this, you'd probably loose health a few milliseconds later, because Soldat checks whetever you rolled or not. That way a lot of 'lag-like' deaths could occour, which is a no no. ( Mind you, if there would be a reasonable way to implement this, I'd be all for it )
Also makes sense... Well damn. :P Oh well, dismemberment stands!

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 05:44:50 pm »
on other games there is a way you can reduce damage from falls I.e. mario 64 i beleive, i cant remember
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 06:28:59 pm »
on other games there is a way you can reduce damage from falls I.e. mario 64 i beleive, i cant remember

Yeah, I think the Soldat shouldn't lose health if he rolls, then uppercuts a giant spikey dinosaur thing to save the princess and collect coins.