Author Topic: Help for Waypinoting  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Grim

• Major
  • Boop-boop-de-boop
Help for Waypinoting
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:46:17 am »
The image below is a Path 1 in my map ctf_Cathedral (see http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=422.0) and for some reason it's not working. The bots just continue to go left even if they hit the waypoint that tells them to go right! Anyone know why?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
Re: Help for Waypinoting
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:18:45 am »
the bots have to hit the line between the boxes to respond to the action. not the box thing.

that might be the problem.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:21:31 am »
^That's not the problem.

This is probably a waypoint bug where the bots do not detect the waypoints.  I can't really remember how to fix this.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Grim

• Major
  • Boop-boop-de-boop
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:28:03 am »
the bots have to hit the line between the boxes to respond to the action. not the box thing.

that might be the problem.
I thought the lines are invisible to the bots?
Also, I've tried deleting the waypoints in the general area and I even deleted all of path2 that I had set up, but nothing seems to work!? Should I delete all of Path 1 and try it again?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:08:14 pm »
*steps in*

Total opposite there, vulbastick; lines are completely invisible to bots (indeed, you want to get them to strike the box) and are only used to:
1. make waypoints active*,
2. for bots to face a direction**, and
3. to help you, literally the mapper, remember more easily what paths a bot can take from a particular wypt.

* - it's true. If you have a lone wypt. sitting out there with no strings, even if it has an action set to do, bots will just ignore it. They must be connected to work.
** - you don't want bots to run backwards now, do you? :P Bots face a string. That trick's handy for forcing bots to backflip-jump & do 1337 stuff like that.

Grim, I will take a look at your map and attempt to resolve this problem (which I have never heard of before in all my wypting. career, BTW).

EDIT Hm, no wypts. on your final release... mmkay, I'll just waypoint it, then.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:21:19 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline -WildBill-

• Camper
  • Extra-Medium
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 10:37:19 am »
is it possible you forgot to put an action on one of the boxes? I knwo thats happened to me before, and it seemed like it wa messed up, but was instead just that simple
lol siggeh deleted for the 7th time! that's like a new record or something, ain't it?

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 01:54:25 pm »
No, he gave every waypoint an action; I checked his work. It's the power-ups, man; when bots see power-ups (in this case, grenade boxes) they go crazy and ignore waypoints and are really hard to get back on trail unless the power-ups were on the original path (they weren't in the very first version of his map). :-\ I fixed that, tho', so all's good now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:31:09 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 02:00:03 pm »
That isnt the problem you need to have spare waypointers just incase the bot doesnt detect it goes to the other one and goes on this is RECOMMENED.put soem extras around and try it.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 02:31:49 pm »
Actually, no (well, maybe that would work, but not in this case); the bots were running right into the waypoint in the corner. Power-ups really mess 'em up.

Offline -WildBill-

• Camper
  • Extra-Medium
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 01:55:41 pm »
oh, this is simple if it's a matter of some sexy looking powerups distracting the bots from where theyre supposed to go.

just make the normal path you want them to go, then place your power ups, then place a way point directly on the power up, and make a path from it back to the original path (see image below)

the bot will disregard the waypoints, grab that tempting berserk powerup, then look for the waypoints again. lucky for him there happens to be one right where he's standing once he gets the berserk.

make sense now? g'luck on waypointing (it sure aint easy!)
lol siggeh deleted for the 7th time! that's like a new record or something, ain't it?