Poll

Should M79 have trigger delay like the barret?

yes, add delay
no, leave it

Author Topic: M79 delay?  (Read 17108 times)

Offline mike323

• Major(1)
  • DONT fire that m79 at me
Re: M79 delay?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 04:10:08 pm »
Yet another one of these damn topics...we've all decided the m79 needs to be modified in some way, possibly delay. I'm at a loss with the m79. If you ask me, it should be removed from the game.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 05:55:43 pm »
I still think the weapon's fine as is, but it's just too good for CTF. I never realized how slow and methodical captures/returns need to be with other weapons. You can't just bypass by everyone boosting to the destination, and with a long range weapon, you almost need to treat each encounter as a one-on-one long range battle just to make it to the other side of the map alive.

It's true that M79's are easily killed by pretty much any weapon, but you have to take your time and be aware of all incoming threats to be able to take the advantage. Bunny hopping to the flag just won't give you much time to react, and I think that's where the frustration lies. You can't exactly just "counter" the weapon -- you have to play the entire game "countering" it by playing slow and keeping your distance. Then again, playing safe makes you barret fodder, so who knows. Maybe that's part of the balance, and all the other weapons are the shades of gray between those two extremes.

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 02:07:57 pm »
With regards to the M79, I'd like to first note that we must consider what exactly we want the weapon to be used for.

Considering the nature of the M79, it seems obvious to me that it's a weapon to be used for taking out targets in crowded spaces.  On the other hand, it's not a weapon one would want to use at a very close range, nor is it really something to use against mid-air targets.  Not realistically, anyway; and while this game really is far from "realistic," it still has ties to our physical reality--otherwise, would we be using guns inspired from it?

What we see in-game is people using the M79 at very close range in midair.  Obviously, this gun is not being used as intended.

As such, I believe a delayed fire would be appropriate: it would effectively discourage use of the gun as such a high-speed assault weapon, and do it without hindering the weapon's intended purpose.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 02:32:34 pm »
As such, I believe a delayed fire would be appropriate: it would effectively discourage use of the gun as such a high-speed assault weapon, and do it without hindering the weapon's intended purpose.

Delay wouldn't solve anything; the barret is just as effective with its delay. Picture two opponents racing to each other from opposite ends of the screen. At the moment each player spots the other, the racing M79er will have already started holding down the fire button and moving into range. The reaction time for the other player to not only stop his own momentum, but to retreat into a more favorable range is extremely small.

I think the way to "fix" it would be a rather large knockback after each shot, much greater than the Spas. While this would give the M79 a better chance to reload, it would also greater help the other person get in a better range to kill and bink from afar while making it more difficult for the M79er to recover from missed shots.

Offline Drakor

• Major
  • ... Do I need to say it?
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 10:18:43 pm »
Perhaps, Double the damage, Half the range, and add 10 to reload, More damage, So if it hits you, or NEAR you your dead, Half range so THEIR dead too, And reload so if they miss, they cant getcha a sec later.
100% of the people who see this signature will have visited http://Http://forums.soldat.pl. Put this in your signature if you like pie... or cake! :D

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 03:11:33 pm »
... Delay wouldn't solve anything; the barret is just as effective with its delay. ...

That is very true.  It is also true that the barret has mostly ceased to be the nuisance that it once was.

I should have elaborated more on my reasoning, though; the idea of a delay is not to prevent the weapon from being used in such a way entirely--I do agree that a player experienced with the weapon could still use it in such a fashion--but the intention is to prevent novice players from latching on to it without at least seriously trying the other weapons.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 06:09:26 pm »
omg jesus christ, the only thing m79 can do well is close range combat, but if you put a delay on it, you're taking away all it has left...
What the heck are you rambling on? Is it that hard to hold left-click less than half a second earlier than usual?? I'm totally for this.

Offline vulbastick

• Soldier
  • Lasers From Atlantis
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 08:04:04 pm »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

I think people should just stop bloody complaining about the weapons in Soldat!

they are all fine JUST LEAVE THEM!

Offline Bugs Revenge

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 12:40:10 am »
No way,
why should we get over and over it all the time?!
stop whining about the m79 and get it that it can'd be delayed like barret,
it's not as easy as barret ffs.
give it a rest  :-X

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 12:41:22 am »
If m79 had a delay, people who want the quickest 1 hit kill weapon wouldn't know where to turn.

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 08:58:16 am »
I think m79 is fine as it is... it is one of the hardest guns to master because of the short distance, etc etc.
For me I prefer using a barret  (with delay) than a normal m79 let alone one with start up time

Offline EsPiO

• Major(1)
  • Ninja!
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2006, 04:50:06 pm »
Just don't charge in, if you see a M79 user coming towards you keep your distance, which makes it easier to dodge and pick them off at range. If you charge in then any noob can kill you when really they can't use the gun from more then 3ft away.

I think the main problem is for whatever reason the other player can get a 2nd shot in (good player, bad reg of hits etc.) to either finish you with splash damage or get a direct hit. More experienced players don't see a problem as they can kill the M79 user before they get a 2nd shot in 99% of the time.

A higher reload would probably stop the abuse by noobs and give other inexperienced players using a different gun (the ones I believe moan about it the most) a better chance while not changing a more experienced players game (normally whip out a SOCOM or knife if the first shot missed).

Offline kalatix

• Major(1)
  • Game nick = Sirge
    • Cape Cod House of Praise
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2006, 07:47:02 pm »
YoMammasMamma I think had it right. So if you were running fast, as often people do (especially in CTF) and you ran right into an m79er, he would have to get out of the way since his delay has a good chance of making him explode.

As in: you're both running, see eachother, m79er shoots (with delay) and if he hits you, then he has a good chance of being in that explosion as well. Killing himself.

So, m79ers would have to be more careful when just charging, and have to change their tactics. Know what I'm saying?
Soon i will be done with the troubles of this world.
Just take this whole world, and give me Jesus.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 07:55:07 pm »
m79 is NOT a noob gun. It is quite hard to use against a skilled opponent. In small maps it owns and in large ones it fails.
I say leave it. I personally dont like using it (Or barret) but I know how to beat it (Synopsis below:)

How to beat m79:
STAY OUT OF ITS RANGE :O OMGW00F. PARTY

And to you T-Bone. Giving start up time to autos would totally kill them because the only way to use an auto is either firing in bursts or firing each shot off individually. Start up time would kill them.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 12:25:21 am »
If m79 had a delay, people who want the quickest 1 hit kill weapon wouldn't know where to turn.

Good; that's the point exactly. Soldat should be about skill.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 12:27:20 am »
Oh god please, yes, oh god yes oh take me higher YES! PLEASE YES OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yes this should be done.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 10:48:38 pm »
thnx for all of you that want to add delay!  I hope MM will get this message :P
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2006, 02:43:33 am »
I should have elaborated more on my reasoning, though; the idea of a delay is not to prevent the weapon from being used in such a way entirely--I do agree that a player experienced with the weapon could still use it in such a fashion--but the intention is to prevent novice players from latching on to it without at least seriously trying the other weapons.

I suggested long ago on the old forums to make the weapons limited by registration. Lockout the last four weapons on the primary list unless you have a reg key.

People want results, and it's only natural for people just focused on getting kills to choose the weapon that can kill on impact. This is why Barret and M79 are generally called noob weapons, though they'll receive those insults just doing what they do -- killing in one hit. You can argue that many don't use those weapons effectively, but if you and others are complaining as a result of dying to them (which is the case), then it would seem to me that the users are making do well enough to be at least somewhat effective.

Offline Bugs Revenge

• Camper
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2006, 04:31:21 am »
Is it only me or the poll is abushed?  ???
almost everyone agreed here there's no need for delay but in the poll it's 25 against 15?  :o

M79 shouldn't have delay anyhow and if u did realy abush the scores u should delete it right away (and if u did it's realy lame.)

5th_account

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2006, 07:33:17 am »
Look who's talkin' 'bout ignoring polls now when it's conveniently about his favo ;)