Author Topic: particle effect  (Read 1386 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
particle effect
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:57:59 pm »
An awesome addition to the game would be having particle-based effects.  Currently the game uses bitmaps to create all the frames needed to create an explosion and the smoke following it.  It would be way better to have fire effects (like from grenades) work through particle - that means that a lot of TINY "pixels" would be released by explosions that act like real-life "gas particles" (though nowhere near as small) - that way explosions would be different everytime and would have different effects based on its surrounding - that means in a skinny tunnel, explosions would spread more sideways since it cannot go up.
Further, damage and impact on the player by explosions rendering can be betterized (lol) and you won't get that annoying "I'm gonna kill you THROUGH the skinny polygon" 'bug'.
Also, emitters could be added in the game that continuously emit particles to create either smoke effects (like a chimney) or perhaps a real-time streaming waterfall.  Some might even be able to interact with players, bulelts, explosions, etc.
I understand that this might cause lag for some but it would still be cool for the many people that can enjoy it!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
Re: particle effect
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:40:51 pm »
Doesn't Soldat already use particle-style effects for jetpack, corpse flames, blood, etc.?

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:56:19 pm »
He's looking for more, specifically for explosions the way I see it. Shrapnel would be cool, but it may cause more lag.

There actually are random pieces of shrapnel from explosions if you view a demo of an explosion in slow-mo, but they're really hard to see and are client-side; uninteractive

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 01:33:59 am »
Go shoot a wall with an HK. See what comes off it.

Use your jetpack clost to the ground.

He's looking for more, specifically for explosions the way I see it. Shrapnel would be cool, but it may cause more lag.

There actually are random pieces of shrapnel from explosions if you view a demo of an explosion in slow-mo, but they're really hard to see and are client-side; uninteractive

Make it an option. Soldat works on some crappy computers. Lets keep it that way.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:07:50 am »
Déj  vu.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen this thread over the years.  It always has the exact same replies as well.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:14:48 am »
It would be cool if it could be client side , like rendering bullet trails and stuff.
But then again it would be just for aestethic purposes  because if the particles would represent damage , every particle would be like a bullet , and an explosion or two would cause a lot of lag.

Offline papercut

• Camper
  • Soldat ingame name = 40oz Casualtie
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 02:07:25 pm »
Dynamic Lighting to go along with it would be pretty too.
<The SoldatForums Applauder>
"I use the Spreyr AUG. :)"

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 04:25:03 pm »
While were at it lets toss in the quake 3 engine and make it all 3D and then make it a first person shooter. That would be sooooooooooooo cooooooooool guyz!!!!!!

Soldat works on some crappy computers. Lets keep it that way.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:48:52 pm »
While were at it lets toss in the quake 3 engine and make it all 3D and then make it a first person shooter. That would be sooooooooooooo cooooooooool guyz!!!!!!

Soldat works on some crappy computers. Lets keep it that way.

You have issues or something?
I covered the issue of lag and though vague, it should've been enough for ppl like you to stop complaining.  Rather find a solution and use your brain.  For example:  "Make it optional or maybe give the option of decreasing quality to decrease cpu requirements."

For those whose computers DON'T suck, this can be a great innovation!
Can't think of anything original to put here...