Author Topic: Soldat bot improvements  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Soldat bot improvements
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:03:27 pm »
At first I say I don't know a thing about coding. But it would be very great improvement to bots if they could follow the waypoints and shoot the enemies at the same time. Now the bots can follow the waypoints but when they get in contact with enemies they stop obeying waypoints and start hunting the enemy. I don't mean the it should be overwritten but as option there could be two different kind of waypoints: 1)"Obey until you got contact with enemy" 2)"Obey even though you got contact with enemies".

I guess that can't be so hard or time taking to code.

I've seen that problem while I've been working with ctf_X waypoints, it will be impossible doing waypoints perfectly if that kind of improvement isn't gonna happen.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:26:17 am by Suowarrior »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: Soldat bot improvements
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:53:40 am »
Theres a lot of things like this that need to be done. The fact of the matter is that... Not many people play seriously against bots, so the time spent doing this could be better doing other things.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:22 am »
It's not like Enesce and the developers have a time budget to stick to for doing certain things before the release of the next version.. is it?

I dont see why any improvement should be ruled out simple because there are better things to do.

I agree the bots need to be improved, maybe made more agressive, respond to distant sound effects and stuff, or just remove the whole waypointing thing all together.  Give them a script to follow and let them navigate the map on their own is what I think they need.

Player since late 2007

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:07:06 am »
Being able to script how bots react to 'stuff' i.e. enemies, waypoints, etc, etc. would be better. Community could work over time developing better ways of interpreting waypoints, aiming, etc. (to make it really hard) or, more better, to try and mimic an actual player, for the 'online' experience (minus chat :()

Over time the AI would be super fuckty awesome shit.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:56:38 pm »
It's not like Enesce and the developers have a time budget to stick to for doing certain things before the release of the next version.. is it?

I dont see why any improvement should be ruled out simple because there are better things to do.

THANK YOU.

also, I agree

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 05:15:14 am »
I wasn't really demanding this improvement, I understand correctly that if it's hard to realise, it shouldn't happen. It's just suggestion that I believe could be easy to do. Also I think soldat developers haven't really do anything new in 1.5 for gameplay, the major of work has been with fixing bugs and making better netcode as it should be. Soldat itself is pretty perfect as it is, making anything new (which may bring new bugs) can't be the top priority. I'm just a mapper who try to catch up perfection, the waypoints won't let me do that.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 05:50:31 am »
I wasn't really demanding this improvement, I understand correctly that if it's hard to realise, it shouldn't happen. It's just suggestion that I believe could be easy to do. Also I think soldat developers haven't really do anything new in 1.5 for gameplay, the major of work has been with fixing bugs and making better netcode as it should be. Soldat itself is pretty perfect as it is, making anything new (which may bring new bugs) can't be the top priority. I'm just a mapper who try to catch up perfection, the waypoints won't let me do that.
Yeah, I agree, but honestly, besides mapping and zombie servers (which only need very simple waypoints), how many games have you played lately with bots?

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 06:05:04 am »
It would be more if the bots were more fun to play with

That's the whole point of increasing their IQ

Player since late 2007

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 07:28:09 pm »
They should have a better AI. That's one thing for sure. And if the map has waypoints, the bot can consider following the waypoints or follow them directly.

But I'd like to have it in such a way that you can set their intelligence level. I mean, in zombie games, you wouldn't want a backflipping, diving, zombie who also knows how to switch to his knife instead of saw, throw it and pick it up or switch back to saw, and to find alternative routes to kill you, and have 25 of them in the server in addition to the advantage the map gives the zombies, right? Unless that one zombie is a zombie boss, I think you wouldn't want the common zombie to be so overpowered unless the weapons are equally overpowered.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 04:20:01 am »
how many games have you played lately with bots?
Since got dsl 4-5 years ago, I've played default games with bots, none.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:22:46 am by Suowarrior »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 12:55:23 am »
How many games have you played lately with bots?
About 15 in the last week or so.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:11:36 am »

I agree the bots need to be improved, maybe made more agressive, respond to distant sound effects and stuff, or just remove the whole waypointing thing all together.  Give them a script to follow and let them navigate the map on their own is what I think they need.

i think that the bots need to be more agressive, they are also quite predictable so letting them navigate the map would be good

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 09:34:05 am »
Well that's sure they should be clever, but it's gonna never happen cos the whole code need to remake. The code is atm pretty clever (I mean I've heard that it's clever) and it works pretty good. I guess it's better that we have those bots than we don't have any bots. I just think that my idea is possible to make by adding code to code.

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:54:00 am »
i reckon it will happen when everything else has been sorted out but at the moment there are biiger fish to fry so the bots will remain as they are i reckon