Author Topic: Moving polys  (Read 2576 times)

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
Moving polys
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:43:17 pm »
i think there should be moving polys in mapmaker. this could make it possible to have somewhat "vehicles" in soldat (i know mm sayd NO VEHICLES) but not just for that but also it could be used for race maps and ctf maps. i think this would make soldat allot more fun
Holy Poop!

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
Re: Moving polys
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:58:31 pm »
Not sure exactly what you mean. Why is it not like a car? It this big moving thing you can stand ono, right? Maybe you could give us some more detail?

Offline YoMammasMamma

• Major(1)
  • I'm also Stanley Decker.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:19:12 pm »
This sort of idea had been tossed around before.

If I recall correctly, the idea was that you could give a poly "waypoints" that it would move along.  If done very elaborately, you could potentially do a crappy vehicle of some kind, but the main idea was for things like elevators, doors, etc.  One of the problems brought up was what to do about people potentially being "squashed."

I also remember the discussion eventually snowballed into more ambitious ideas, like having invisible "scripted" polys that would perform some action whenever certain conditions within its area were met.  Of course, something like that would pretty much require remaking Soldat, so it never got anywhere.
"Oh yeah?  Well...  Yo mamma!"

"Oh yeah!?  ...Uh, Yo Mamma's Mamma!"

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:21:42 pm »
^Agreed.

Even though it sounds possible to implement and all, Soldat doesn't really need it.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:32:35 am »
here's the problem:
I'm sure this idea has come across MM's mind in the very early days of soldat.  The problem is that it's insanely hard to implement now that soldat's come so far (would need a whole new remake of map rendering and collision and all bla bla bla) and it will be very buggy and glitchy (interaction with players and etc. would make things complicated.)
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:05:20 am »
YEP I agree whit zyxstand. And soldat have enough just now.