Author Topic: "MY flag!!!"  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Vv00t-SN

• Camper
  • I aim to please!
    • fuck you skoskav & everyone else fucking with my profile all the time.
"MY flag!!!"
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:33:12 pm »
Ive been wondering about how the general public views this topic for a while, so Im just gonna put it out there now.

Situation:
CTF: some teammate gets the enemy flag but is gunned down on the way to home (or at home while waiting for our flag to return).
I pick it up, and keep it. as soon as our flag returns I cap.
-> "******* ITS MY FLAG!!"

...but is it?
From his point of view he did all the work and got nothing for it except a death.

However.. If I hadnt been there while he died, the team wouldve lost the enemy flag entirely.

In my eyes, as soon as someone dies hes got NO right whatsoever to demand "his" flag back.

-- I do sometimes give back the flag, being nice and all, also when I feel Im more useful attacking.

However I NEVER, _NEVER_ give the flag back when someone demands it.
I think demanding it is among the top stupid things you can do on a pub, and I punish it ;)

So, what's other people's take on this?
Am I right, am I wrong?

either this kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea.
Soldat Quote DB: http://qdb.soldatgather.com/

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Re: "MY flag!!!"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 08:42:03 pm »
If someone died near the base and the flag is returned soon, I will try to give it back so he can finish off for the score. Otherwise, if I have to hold the flag for some time and defend it while the base is swarmed, I'll keep it. Honestly, it's probably better to not "be nice" so to speak and risk throwing the flag -- I know I've had a couple of times where an enemy swooped in because the target was too slow to grab the flag toss and returned it. Then again, I don't mind giving away flags to new players or people I think saved me from being killed before returning to base. It's not a big deal to me.

You're right, though. Whining "My flag!!!" type players don't deserve it, even though that harms your team by having to use two people to hold the flag then... the flag carrier and the whiner who won't go away and try to return. There's one person I won't mention I have in mind seeing this topic, but he has improved somewhat I think. As much as it stinks to have to do it, some people need to have this concept explained to them.

Offline homey188

• Soldier
    • A good roleplay site
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 09:05:25 pm »
That sounds annoying. I don't really run into it, because I usually throw the flag anyway, but I see it happen sometimes.
They should just be happy that someone scored.

Offline Commander Kitsune

• Soldier
  • Kits
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 09:10:42 pm »
A score is a score. I don't really care for a cap, but I try to anyway. If someone dies with the flag I'll go to home and wait to see if they want it. If not it's my point. Soldat CTF or INF is a team game. And like team games someone must be willing to make a sacrifice.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 09:29:46 pm »
CTF is a team effort.  There is no I in team.  Or a "my" for that mater.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 10:10:01 pm »
Perhaps then, points shouldn't be awarded upon a flag capture? This would really help the team play aspect in my opinion, since capping doesn't really count for *your* score, but for the team's score.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 10:20:53 pm »
Roughly last year, I once played on a pub. featuring ctf_Dropdown, where my team's FC died halfway back. I picked it up and completed it, and he started swearing at me like heck demanding for the flag.
A bit later I grabbed the flag, the enemy did as well, and as small as ctf_Dropdown may be, a flag-stalemate ensued. He was still yelling at me all the time and ignored the other annoyed teammates' demands to stop, so I finally said "Fine, you want the flag? Here you go" and just gave it to him. (I still think the flag-discard function needs to be improved)

After the opposing team scored a point, he swore even more at me and was ultimately kicked. :P

I'm with Geo'. If I die right before I'm about to cap from some crazy rusher or a lucky Barret shot (which has happened to me in the past, yes), I don't care if another teammate completes the cap at all, and in fact would rather have that than risk trying to wait through spawning time and retrieve it myself.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 09:15:59 am »
there really is no reason to post something like this.  Of course there's no way for him to MAKE u give him the flag (except to TK u which probrbaly isn't possible).  He is merely asking for his flag back and of course u don't have to do it.  Generally when someone brings the flag and does a hell of a job doing so and dies and i get the flag, I generally give it back especially if asked for.  Same thing happens when I "do all the work" to get the flag and i die.  It's just a manner of sharing among your team.
Either you give it back and are nice, or you cap and are a jerk in many people's eyes - it's up to you.
And after all, he DID do most of the work - u did SOME of the work by protecting it against one person and fate let you end up with it in the end...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Unlucky XIII

• Soldier
  • Unit Zero One Three
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 10:15:35 am »
I agree with what seems to be the majority here: If you lose the flag, you lose the flag. If a teammate is close enough to capture and possibly score a point in what otherwise may have resulted in a point for the opponent, that teammate deserves it, not the person who had the flag first. It is childish to argue over a flag anyway, I mean it gives you little more than 20 points, and those points are considered nothing by the majority of the community. I for one don't care if someone captures "my" flag after I drop it, and really, I'd rather not have it back; I seem to suck once a flag touches me and I am back home, for some reason.

In short, if you think it is your flag, go play Pointmatch. We need more players in Pointmatch! Otherwise, stick to letting a friendly have "your" flag more often. (The your's and my's were not directed at anyone in particular, unless you whine about "your" flag all the time.)

"The old ones are the best"

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 10:30:19 am »
If you're trying to get a personal score play free for all game modes.  If your playin ctf, then you shouldn't be worried about who's getting the points, it's the team that matters.

Offline DragonSlayer

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 12:01:21 pm »
It doesn't matter who caps, capping is team effort. If you try to claim it's not team effort, you have no right to say "that was my flag!" if you die and someone else caps. That's because then you weren't good enough.

I think it's dumb to care about who caps.

AE/DragonSlayer

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 12:10:57 pm »
Why the hell do they care

Offline TDL

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 01:00:53 pm »
"If you lose it, it ain't yours" is my opinion on flags.

Should I do a teamkill (Nade, shot, forced towards enemy with nades/spray) on the ffc I will give the flag back since it WAS my fault, after all. If I die with flag I don't care WHO caps it just as long as it's capped.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 01:33:20 pm »
I give it back to the original owner if time permits.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Spasm

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF Owner
    • Elite CTF
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 02:20:59 pm »
All depends on the situation.  If my team is winning I'll usually throw it to the original grabber or holder.  If not, I gotta make sure we're gonna score.
Owner/Founder- Elite CTF -  http://elitectf.com
OwnedVision - http://ownedvision.com
--An EliteCTF Production.
Snipe & Slice - Saw & Law - One Shots

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 03:23:26 pm »
There is in win!

You keep the flag, It is more efficient than to waste time giving it away.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Death MachineX350

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »
Only stat whores would cuss out teammates for a flag. Don't be a stat whore.

Offline Officer_Bulbock

• Major
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 05:50:19 pm »
I think i'm gonna go with the majority here- if you lose the flag and someone else picks it up then it's their's, just accept it.

Hell you should be thankful, I've been killed loads of times when no-one else was around and the flag was returned. And it sucks.

Offline As Always

• Soldier
  • ZAKK WYLDE WOOOO
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 06:29:29 pm »
Sorry Bulbock, but I think it's the reverse situation, in a Pub anyway. A player goes into a base, with no backup (it's a pub), mows down a bunch of people, gets the flag, and gets back to base wounded, just to get hit by a stray bullet and dies, I think the flag is entierly his right. If I picked it up I would give it back.

Of cource, in a Clan or Privet server, I think that if a flag carrier manages to die, even with a squad of people around him, then the flag goes to whoever picks it up.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 06:51:33 pm »
Never expirienced this, but I do like to share the flag out sometimes. Someone posted before about "If I feel I'm more useful attacking, I pass the flag to a teammate". I usually find I'm much better at attacking and I'm proud of my scores if I haven't capped. So, if I grab the flag...I run back to my base, toss it blindly into the spawnpoint, and go back and try and hold off the oncoming enemies. I don't care for caps, just as long as somebody does it!
And, if I ever have someone like this in any game I play, I'm sure everyones gonna shoot him down (no pun intended).
Just another soul to burn.